News Article: [TSN]:SENS remain in the mix for Duchene

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
I've lost my appetite for this trade now. The more and more I think about it, I'm seeing the Ryan trade all over again.

I don't see us getting him without letting go of Brown or Chabot.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
This situation has gone on far to long and i kind of want to watch Colorado burn for their stubborness, they will lose this trade whether its now or within the year. We know how it goes here and have seen it recently a few times.

Unless he is coming at a steal price im keeping our young guys and developing them, a JT type player im all in for but not a Duchene.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
There is not a single nice piece on the Sens that I feel comfortable moving for Duchene right now. Whenever I think about the trade I can't really put together something I'm happy with without thinking we'd be sending them our depth.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
I guess that's what happens when your team is a goal away from the Stanley Cup finals and you're expected to overpay for a guy who is supposed to be a star and has underperformed for a team that has sucked for years.

I mean, if Duchene is so damned valuable how come he's 1.) available, 2.) untradable, 3.) declining statistically, 4.) his team sucks?

Guy is 26 and he scored 18 goals and was -30 or something. And talk is 3 good pieces? No wonder this is dragging out.

Sheesh.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
I've lost my appetite for this trade now. The more and more I think about it, I'm seeing the Ryan trade all over again.

I don't see us getting him without letting go of Brown or Chabot.

Ya I'm with you, just doesn't seem worth it unless it's something like Ceci and a pick. I'd rather hold on to our prospects than either lose Duchene to UFA or overpay him and screw our cap situation. Just get Turris signed long term and move on.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Why do you say the writing is on the wall and Turris is on his way out?

But....if we can't pay Turris, then we can't pay for any legit 1C. Anyone we put into that spot on the roster will be making similar money.

I think it's more about long term cap flexibility than strictly paying somebody. Paying a bit extra in assets to effectively swap Turris for Duchene kicks the can down the road until after we've dealt with Karlsson's extension. (whether that means trading Turris to COL, or to another team after acquiring Duchene to recoup assets).

Turris apparently wants a long term deal, 7 or 8 years. There's no way to know for sure, but when the reports are he wants "stability", that probably means some fairly sturdy trade protection. No player wanting stability that has the leverage to do so is going to sign without a NMC. The Sens don't give out full NMCs. He has a very aggressive agent. Turris' previous contract was very aggressive considering his resume at the time.

I think with the reports of us being "aggressively" after Duchene, and now all the stuff coming out about Turris' contract and his agent not wanting to negotiate after the season begins, that writing is on the wall that Turris is most likely gone. Yes, Garrioch says he thinks it's possible they could get something down during the season, but that's just his opinion. The fact he presented is that Turris' agent has set a deadline to get an extension done, that deadline is the start of the season.

Dorion's going to say the right things in public, but with all the info coming out, it seems like a situation where Turris would have to cave in order for us to sign, and a player who'll be as in demand as him as a UFA has no reason to cave. His demands for "stability" are probably extremely doable on the open market for a player of his calibre.

I'll say maybe my post was a bit too aggressive in that respect (I guess that's our word of the day) but my main problem lies in anybody still looking at this situation like we're trying to get an upgrade on Turris. We're not. To me it seems blatantly clear we're trying to get ahead of the prospect of not having a C in 18-19. I don't think we'd be "aggressively" after Duchene if Turris had 2 years left on his deal instead of 1.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think it's more about long term cap flexibility than strictly paying somebody. Paying a bit extra in assets to effectively swap Turris for Duchene kicks the can down the road until after we've dealt with Karlsson's extension. (whether that means trading Turris to COL, or to another team after acquiring Duchene to recoup assets).

Turris apparently wants a long term deal, 7 or 8 years. There's no way to know for sure, but when the reports are he wants "stability", that probably means some fairly sturdy trade protection. No player wanting stability that has the leverage to do so is going to sign without a NMC. The Sens don't give out full NMCs. He has a very aggressive agent. Turris' previous contract was very aggressive considering his resume at the time.

I think with the reports of us being "aggressively" after Duchene, and now all the stuff coming out about Turris' contract and his agent not wanting to negotiate after the season begins, that writing is on the wall that Turris is most likely gone. Yes, Garrioch says he thinks it's possible they could get something down during the season, but that's just his opinion. The fact he presented is that Turris' agent has set a deadline to get an extension done, that deadline is the start of the season.

Dorion's going to say the right things in public, but with all the info coming out, it seems like a situation where Turris would have to cave in order for us to sign, and a player who'll be as in demand as him as a UFA has no reason to cave. His demands for "stability" are probably extremely doable on the open market for a player of his calibre.

I'll say maybe my post was a bit too aggressive in that respect (I guess that's our word of the day) but my main problem lies in anybody still looking at this situation like we're trying to get an upgrade on Turris. We're not. To me it seems blatantly clear we're trying to get ahead of the prospect of not having a C in 18-19. I don't think we'd be "aggressively" after Duchene if Turris had 2 years left on his deal instead of 1.

Its a take... IMO 2 things; Sens want to re-sign Turris and Turris wants to stay here. There is some possibility that Turris wants more term and/or more $ than the Sens are willing to pay. If the Sens are staring at a 8x7 ask with not much wiggle room... they should be looking at options

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Its a take... IMO 2 things; Sens want to re-sign Turris and Turris wants to stay here. There is some possibility that Turris wants more term and/or more $ than the Sens are willing to pay. If the Sens are staring at a 8x7 ask with not much wiggle room... they should be looking at options

Definitely and I think all teams look at their options when facing a UFA decision for a very good player. He is 28 years old, so an 8 year contract would take him to age 36. He will likely be declining in performance at age 32, so his final 4 years are not going to worth the same value as he is worth for the first 4 years.

May be something like: 6;6;6;5;5;5;4;4 for a total of $41M or perhaps 4X$6M plus 4x$5M for a total of $44M. No way to $8M/year for 8 years = $64M.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Definitely and I think all teams look at their options when facing a UFA decision for a very good player. He is 28 years old, so an 8 year contract would take him to age 36. He will likely be declining in performance at age 32, so his final 4 years are not going to worth the same value as he is worth for the first 4 years.

May be something like: 6;6;6;5;5;5;4;4 for a total of $41M or perhaps 4X$6M plus 4x$5M for a total of $44M. No way to $8M/year for 8 years = $64M.

I like what they say in this article link

fans should reasonably expect Turris to sign a contract that closely resembles what Bryan Little signed with Winnipeg.

Just last week the soon to be 30-year old Little signed a six-year extension worth an average annual value of $5,291,666.

Although he is older, the production is eerily similar.

t’s no surprise to hear the Senators are balking at the idea of a seven or eight year deal. Turris’ point production isn’t commensurate with that kind of term and he isn’t exactly renowned for his defensive aptitude or ability to tilt the ice in his team’s favour from a puck possession standpoint.

He has simply carved out a niche as a good top-six centre on a middle of the pack team. If the Senators can get him at five or six years at less than $6-million per season, they will have made out well.

6 x 6 AAV would be ok 7 7 6 6 5 5.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
There's absolutely no way Little's contract is gonna work for Turris.

Little's contract is the exception to the rule. A great deal for WPG. Everybody knew that from the moment it was signed. It isn't in line with any of the other comparable contracts out there. If we could get Turris for that price I would give everybody high fives but it's not a realistic expectation. You can't expect a guy who at worst could command 6Mx7Y with a full NMC and tons of signing bonuses on the open market to take Little's contract unless he is petrified of having to move away from Ottawa, which I would assume Kyle Turris is not since his agent appears to be playing hard ball by refusing to sign a deal once the season starts.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
The problem with how exciting our prospects are right now is that I don't want to give any of them up.

I'd be fine with trading White, Bowers, Gagne, Wideman, Boro, Harpur, Dzingel, Smith, and some picks....but I do not want to see the likes of Claesson/Chabot/Brown/Formenton/Jaros/Chlapik/Lajoie going the other way.

I think we hit gold with a few of those.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Its all fine and dandy to fall in love with prospect with potential but Ottawa is in a position where they can go for the cup with our best player ever being in his prime and needing a new contract soon.

Chabot should be the only prospect untouchable at this point. Guys like Claesson and Jaros ....I have no idea why you would have them as untouchable lol.

If eventually a package of Claesson + White + 1st can get you an impact forward you do it for the current team.

Add to the fact that a lot of those guys won't reach their potential or wont have space on the current roster to play it makes sense to make a deal

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa
You pretty much hit it on the head, though I'd like to save our pick if possible. We have the best offer on the table for Sakic likely, so lets just wait him out. Or get someone else on a bombing team at rental time.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
The problem with how exciting our prospects are right now is that I don't want to give any of them up.

I'd be fine with trading White, Bowers, Gagne, Wideman, Boro, Harpur, Dzingel, Smith, and some picks....but I do not want to see the likes of Claesson/Chabot/Brown/Formenton/Jaros/Chlapik/Lajoie going the other way.

I think we hit gold with a few of those.

We could hit gold with White or Bowers as well. Its too early to dismiss them.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
Its all fine and dandy to fall in love with prospect with potential but Ottawa is in a position where they can go for the cup with our best player ever being in his prime and needing a new contract soon.
For those who didn't like the Ryan trade, I don't blame them for wanting the bright prospect++ vs an established star.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island

Chabot should be the only prospect untouchable at this point. Guys like Claesson and Jaros ....I have no idea why you would have them as untouchable lol.

If eventually a package of Claesson + White + 1st can get you an impact forward you do it for the current team.

Add to the fact that a lot of those guys won't reach their potential or wont have space on the current roster to play it makes sense to make a deal

I would do that package for Duchene.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
There is not a single nice piece on the Sens that I feel comfortable moving for Duchene right now. Whenever I think about the trade I can't really put together something I'm happy with without thinking we'd be sending them our depth.

I'd happily trade Boro for him.

But I will be happy if we don't go after him either. I definitely don't want to do what it seems they want. It's too much h

salomonster

Oct 7, 2006
Double dot
I kinda think there is no point in making this trade at the moment. Here's why.

1 Our prospects are showing great play and promise, we don't need to force a trade. Simply said, their value will only grow which means more options. No way Chabot and Ceci and White should be traded.

2 If this is a tactic to get Turris signed now, fine but I don't see trading him for Duchesne as an option. We need to add not make lateral moves... Loosing Clark is what needs to be addressed. But this could also be done internally...

3 It's Sept. If Dorion can keep kicking tires with the Avs fine but Duchesne's value will only go down as the season progresses and so will the internal pressure on their management. They are in a similar situation to the Sens back in the Heatley days. Wait em' out and see if you can get a better deal. Ottawa have the pieces to make a deal. It's just important that they do not give up key pieces... We can't afford to loose another Silfverberg...

Those are my thoughts. IF the Sens do not acquire him. It's not going to kill them either.

I think Ottawa could be in a position of strength here. We have lots of prospects and especially lot of LD who are NHL ready.

No way should we be giving up a star player, a prospect and a 1st for Duchesne thought. Maybe 2 of those 3 asks but not 3.

Wait in the weeds Dorion.

Last edited:

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
I really don't understand why this happens to every fanbase.. but man people over project on prospects based on pre season.

well would you trade Brown/Chabot + for Duchene after what you have seen from draft to this pre season?

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
I really don't understand why this happens to every fanbase.. but man people over project on prospects based on pre season.

I see it as the majority to not wanting to trade White/Chabot/Brown for Duchene to it now being really not wanting to that trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad