News Article: [TSN]:SENS remain in the mix for Duchene

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
whats up with this underpaid talk for turris? He got a very fair deal for where he was at 5 years ago and ottawa took a risk by signing him long term and therefore he gave up money for term.

we don't owe him anything

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
While I'd love to add Duchene, I'm not interested in competing for him with other teams. If we can land him for a Spezza for Paul Chiasson, 2nd and b prospect, I'm totally on board. I`d also be on board if it's a dump a bad contract move, but neither really makes a lot of sense from Colorado's perspective. Then again, Spezza for Paul, Chiasson and 2nd didn`t make sense from a sens perspective either.

Here's my Spezza deal comparable which will obviously get rejected:

Claesson or Harpur (Chaisson level)
Dzingel or Perron (Paul level, a bit more in the case of Dzingel)
2nd or 2019 conditional 1st if Duchene re-signs (2nd level)
Gagne (Guptill level)

For

Duchene

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I'm fine with 1st, Colin White and one of Jaros/Englund/Harpur/Wideman.

MacArthur's money is there for Duchene, and we have a lot of D right now.

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
If it costs Ceci or Chabot I'm not interested.

Can't tear a hole in the defense to patch one up front.

That's my view as well... I dont want to lose anything on defense, especially since the departure of Methot to LV in the expansion draft (now Dallas).

We currently have a very fringe defense and if we lose Ceci/Chabot in a trade to acquire Duchene and also lose Turris/Brassard in this trade with an already weak prospect pool, it will seriously compromise the future of this team on the ice (I'm not gonna enter in the economical aspect at this point)

so, I'm all against the Duchene trade

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
I'm fine with 1st, Colin White and one of Jaros/Englund/Harpur/Wideman.

MacArthur's money is there for Duchene, and we have a lot of D right now.

No chance in hell I'm trading Jaros. Not unless it's part of a package for a player much better than Duchene.

DanyHeatley

Dec 6, 2016
What if it's a complete shake up of things for both teams
ott: Turris, Ceci, 1st, Colin White, Chris Wideman
col: Duchene, Landeskog

otown

Sep 4, 2009
Duchene is not worth the price you will have to pay. Sens are at a tipping point with their young talent and putting all of your eggs in the Duchene basket (a 60 point forward ) isn't worth what you could potentially lose.
Patience is a virtue in this case. Let the young guns develop.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
What if it's a complete shake up of things for both teams
ott: Turris, Ceci, 1st, Colin White, Chris Wideman
col: Duchene, Landeskog

Replace Ceci with Phaneuf, add in an extension for Turris, and replace Landeskog with someone like Comeau and maybe that's the deal we see....

I think it's either going to be something like

Turris+(Wideman or Harpur)+Cond' 2018 1st (Becomes a 2019 2nd if Turris is traded or re-signs with COL) for Duchene

or

White+Claesson+Gagne+Unprotected 2018 1st+Cond' 2019 2nd (Becomes a 1st if the Senators trade Duchene before the end of his deal, or make the CONF final in 2019)

Dorion's apparently being aggressive without offering up Ceci or Chabot so a package around young players/futures would have to be vast. We know he's not afraid to give up scary pieces for players if it means win-now.

I'm not saying I'd make those deals....they are just predictions. I think in the case of the second deal, Dorion would be less afraid to be aggressive on the pieces he gives up if he plans on turning around and trading Kyle Turris in a few months as that would likely net him in a worst case scenario a package similar to what Hanzal got at the deadline.

Example one, obviously COL would only do it if they think they can re-sign Duchene because Turris walking would mean they'd get a 2018 1st+Wideman for Duchene which would be awful for them.

Value wise, when you part everything out, it might create a situation where even if we aren't trading Turris to COL, when you figure out what we get for sending Turris to a different team a few months down the line after acquiring Duchene VS what we give up for Duchene we might be trading 1 year of Turris+Colin White for 2+ years of Duchene....

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Haven't we finished pretty low in the standings with karlsson? And ceci.

Lowest we've finished was 10th, and that was with Karlsson still re-couping from the achiles injury (and having Alfredsson jump ship just prir to the TD_.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
The asking price for Duchene is too high considering his contract status for the Sens to give up any key pieces from their current roster, prospect pool and other futures. We can't ignore the real risk that Duchene will hold the Sens for ransom when it comes time to re-sign or just plain refuse any extension because he wants to keep his options to play on a preferred big spender club with some high profile forwards closer to a cup than the Sens. The NHL and NHL PA should have kept the door open beyond 1 year for a player to sign an extension with his new team in the event of a trade. As it is the buyer takes all the risk and lets Colorado off the hook.For the Sens there is no cost certainty with Duchene which is an absolute must for this team with so many contracts for key players up for negotiation next year. An already signed Landeskog would be the better deal as long as it's a one for one and possibly a 2nd or later pick to sweeten the deal in either direction.

Next year it would be a shame to have to dismantle the whole team to find the money to try and re-sign Karlsson and then lose him because he doesn't want to play on a team full of 3rd rate pluggers and not-ready-for-prime-time cheaper prospects.

Dorion has to give up this folly!

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Spezza had an NTC which made things especially difficult for us.

Duchene does not have one.

while the NTC certainly had an effect, we negotiated with teams that weren't on his 'ok' list anyways, and while somewhat better, the Nsh offer wasn't exactly lighting the world on fire either.

I'd say the bigger issue was not a lot of teams could fit in 7 mil for Spezza, and there were other options (Stastny and Kessler) who got picked up by two of the three (four if you count Nsh) teams looking to add a big name center.

Maybe without the NTC we would have explored shipping him off to bottom feeders, but not a lot of bottom feeders see 27+ year old centers as the key to turning around their franchises.

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
I'm just not seeing the value for Duchene on the Sens. I get that some remember him playing for team Canada but he's not elite or special at all. Would he improve the team?.. of course but at what present and future cost?

An elite player is worth a good young player, a good prospect and a high pick. Duchene is not worth that now. His worth as a tier below that is something like Claesson, a first and a second. Why would the Sens or any other team feel the need to offer more at this time?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00