TSN 690 & Other Montreal sports media Thread V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
He doesn't owe anything to anybody, anymore than Sidney Crosby does.
If Crosby was a Hab, Bergevin and Molson would expect him to defer to them just as they did with Subban. This is why no big name players want to come to Montreal. Because the first thing that gets drilled into your head when you arrive is that you are not allowed and will not be permitted to get bigger than this team's image.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
The Habs like "a measure of control"? Ha! The Habs settle for nothing less than total control.

I do agree that it's a good thing for players to be as independent as possible given that they rarely go through an entire career playing for one franchise and because, let's face it, management doesn't really give a toss about them when all is said and done.

And certainly PK knew that he was ruffling feathers. That was the purpose of the exercise. Not so much trying to orchestrate a trade but merely trying to change the nature of his professional relationship with management. He made it plain that he wasn't going to be "managed" or "controlled" by them. He gave them the choice as to whether or not they could live with that decision. He was basically telling Molson and Bergevin "You can choose to keep me as one of your players or not. But if I'm staying I'm doing things my way. It's up to you."

Teams want to be along for the good stuff - big charitable donation? Let us ride shotgun and soak up some goodwill.

Then if you ditch your car, get pinched with weed or make an idiot of yourself on social media they will hang you out to dry as much as they can possibly afford to.

Look at Bergevin - still crapping on Markov. Markov! I don’t care that he cut Kassian, but he publicly shamed him, which wasn’t necessary. He could have simply said this is a private matter. Of course, all the time he is employing Rob Ramage, a convicted killer.

In any reasonable industry, Guy Boucher would be launching a constructive dismissal lawsuit against the Sens for he way Dorion badmouthed him.

Players would be crazy to not be more independent. The loyalty from the team may not be there when they want or expect it.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Again, the Habs could not abide the fact that they did not have complete control over the message and the messenger. Optics is always the more important thing to them. They will sacrifice just about anything in order to save face.

The team has nothing to be churlish or defensive about. If they did hold that attitude though, then it's right in line with the unprofessional and often mean spirited persona its representatives present publicly.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
The team has nothing to be churlish or defensive about. If they did hold that attitude though, then it's right in line with the unprofessional and often mean spirited persona its representatives present publicly.
I agree that it's unprofessional but ask yourself: is it out of the question to believe that the Habs front office is precisely that petty, given what we already know about them?

Electricity

Aug 22, 2016
Louisville via St. P
If Crosby was a Hab, Bergevin and Molson would expect him to defer to them just as they did with Subban. This is why no big name players want to come to Montreal. Because the first thing that gets drilled into your head when you arrive is that you are not allowed and will not be permitted to get bigger than this team's image.

You are if you win the Cup. :D

I still think Drouin could become a superstar but he's got to mature first. Don't ask me how that happens, I haven't figured it out yet.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
You are if you win the Cup. :D

Nope, not even then. Winning the Cup just buys you time. If you piss off your GM and/or owner they will find a way to pay you back. It may not happen right away but they won't forget. They'll bide their time and wait for an opportunity to screw you. Habs management is small minded and petty. It's a big part of why the team doesn't win. Management is too busy pursuing agendas that have nothing to do with hockey. The entire Subban affair was a non-hockey thing.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I have stopped listening to Marinaro a long time ago . is he still going on about Price not saluting the fans ... Wow lol

Marinaro hops on whatever subject that gets him attention. I occasionally listen and unmistakingly, there will be a cringeworthy moment.

Like the other day he had two fans on who were trying to win soccer tickets. One of them was calling from work, he was at a paint store. Marinaro put the guy through the wringer, had different employees come on, kept asking what kind of discount he'd get from the store, all the while claiming that he can get paint across the street from his house at a 50% discount.

So the fan, hemmed and hawed and said whatever he needed to try to win, even promised to match the 50% discount. It was a sad rollercoaster of hope and disillusionment, but above all, this credulous fan was taken for a ride and didn't win anything. Meantime, the second fan who was on the line with Marinaro, barely said anything and won the tickets. Typical Marinaro shitshow.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I agree that it's unprofessional but ask yourself: is it out of the question to believe that the Habs front office is precisely that petty, given what we already know about them?

Not at all. I think most posters believe that to be true. The Habs could have easily capitalized on Subban's generosity by making an announcement during a game and tying themselves to the avalanche of good will by making a public financial contribution at the same time, and offering seats to games for the kids.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Marinaro hops on whatever subject that gets him attention. I occasionally listen and unmistakingly, there will be a cringeworthy moment.

Like the other day he had two fans on who were trying to win soccer tickets. One of them was calling from work, he was at a paint store. Marinaro put the guy through the wringer, had different employees come on, kept asking what kind of discount he'd get from the store, all the while claiming that he can get paint across the street from his house at a 50% discount.

So the fan, hemmed and hawed and said whatever he needed to try to win, even promised to match the 50% discount. It was a sad rollercoaster of hope and disillusionment, but above all, this credulous fan was taken for a ride and didn't win anything. Meantime, the second fan who was on the line with Marinaro, barely said anything and won the tickets. Typical Marinaro ****show.
Soccer fans deserve whatever happens to them. It's telling that the guy worked at a paint store. Watching soccer is a lot like watching paint dry.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Soccer fans deserve whatever happens to them. It's telling that the guy worked at a paint store. Watching soccer is a lot like watching paint dry.

I've never been to Saputo Stadium and probably will never go. And I don't mind one bit. There is nothing Marinaro can say that would make me change my mind. But, to each their own.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Believe what you want but I refuse to believe that Subban is just some hapless victim here. He was smarter than the guys who traded him. They did exactly what he wanted them to do.

Don't come and tell me that PK could do what he did with that hospital donation (without telling anyone ahead of time and basically doing an end run around the Habs organization which has a charitable foundation with an entire bureaucracy set up to handle such things) and be dumb/naïve enough to think that it would be cool with his bosses. It was a provocation, pure and simple. A provocation designed to elicit a certain response, like showing a red cape to a bull. Subban knew exactly and precisely what would happen when he did it and that's why he did it. The second he showed up for that photo op at the children's hospital his fate was sealed and he knew it.

Your theory is interesting but I don't buy it because PK looked really pissed and bothered when he got traded.

He didn't act like someone who wanted out of this org.

Reactions: CanadiensChick

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Anyone who thinks soccer isn't exciting, just isn't a fan

And that's fine...but it's wrong to say it's not exciting

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Interesting debate on RDS right now with Bernard Brissett and Ray Lalonde regarding Habs and transparency

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
It shouldn't take courage to post something so obvious. Some people feel it necessary to have heroes and villains in every narrative. If they don't paint Subban as pure and virtuous in thought, word and deed then they feel as though they are somehow legitimizing Bergevin's actions. One doesn't have to mean the other. It is possible to admit that Subban engineered his own ouster and still hate Bergevin/Molson for doing the deed. Subban's actions don't excuse Bergevin's. But for some people the Subban trade is a zero-sum game. Subban must be pure and Bergevin must be dirty and Weber must be the fruit of a poisonous tree. It becomes a purity test for some posters. You say that PK has shortcomings or that Weber is elite and it makes you a Bergevin apologist in the eyes of some.
And for some people, it has nothing to do with seeing heroes or villains.
I don't care about Weber's name being mentioned in anything Subban. I don't like the trade, still, Weber had a great year for us when he got here. Unfortunate what happened last season, hopefully he bounces back next year. That trade is done and over with. No point in discussing it.
What irritates me however, is people talk about how Subban must have caused his own trade like they somehow know this for a fact. You do it again now again, ''Subban engineer his own ouster'' and ''Subban's actions''. Please...tell us....what actions? What did he do? He wasn't loved by 100% of his teammates? He made mistakes on the ice?...
I am just curious as you keep repeating this as if you know something I don't...What did Subban do that got so much on management's nerves they had to trade him?? And please, not little speculations you heard at the market..give me facts.

WG

Sep 9, 2008
Not at all. I think most posters believe that to be true. The Habs could have easily capitalized on Subban's generosity by making an announcement during a game and tying themselves to the avalanche of good will by making a public financial contribution at the same time, and offering seats to games for the kids.
QFT. A Habs player, one not born in Montreal I might add, makes a record charitable donation to the Sick Kids Hospital in his adopted city. He stands up and gives a speech, half of it in French, in a city where the media always complains that the players don't make an effort to learn the language. And in the front row to witness this is one of the last links to the teams glory days, Elise Beliveau, who seems to genuinely like and respect Subban despite the fact that he sometimes wore a hat that didn't have a Habs logo on it.

The correct follow up from the Canadiens organization would be to put the ceremony on its website and make a public statement about how proud they are that one of their players would embrace the city and support children in the goddamn hospital. But no. I mean, why not bask in PK's charity and earn some goodwill in the process. Better to be a bunch of petty jackasses.

And before someone mentions it, yes, they should do the same for Max or Gallagher or any other player that ties his name to a charity, because the awareness raised helps raise further funds, volunteerism, etc. for the charity.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
And for some people, it has nothing to do with seeing heroes or villains.
I don't care about Weber's name being mentioned in anything Subban. I don't like the trade, still, Weber had a great year for us when he got here. Unfortunate what happened last season, hopefully he bounces back next year. That trade is done and over with. No point in discussing it.
What irritates me however, is people talk about how Subban must have caused his own trade like they somehow know this for a fact. You do it again now again, ''Subban engineer his own ouster'' and ''Subban's actions''. Please...tell us....what actions? What did he do? He wasn't loved by 100% of his teammates? He made mistakes on the ice?...
I am just curious as you keep repeating this as if you know something I don't...What did Subban do that got so much on management's nerves they had to trade him?? And please, not little speculations you heard at the market..give me facts.
Read my other posts in this thread. My facts are simply this: that Subban isn't stupid or naive. He knows what he's doing when he does it. When he did the big announcement about his donation to the hospital without letting the Habs know about it ahead of time, he knew how they would react. The only way he played no role in this is if you believe that he's a clueless idiot who had no idea about what he was doing. Subban is no idiot.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
291m7w.gif

Reactions: mariolemieux66
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad