Injury Report: Trouba - returned from concussion 03/31

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
One serious injury this season. Add a possible concussion to that.

If I was Trouba I'd be looking for long-term job security this summer and sign a deal with the Jets. It is borderline irresponsible on a personal level for him to sign another short term deal when one bad play could kill his earnings potential by tens of millions of dollars. I hope he gets the right advice from his friends and family. If you are a hockey player and have the option of signing a 6x6 million deal but instead to go for a 2 year 4 million deal that is just plain stupid considering the risks involved in your profession and I am not just saying this because I am a Jets fan and want him to stay. If I had my best friend playing hockey, I'd give him the same advice.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

If I was Trouba I'd be looking for long-term job security this summer and sign a deal with the Jets. It is borderline irresponsible on a personal level for him to sign another short term deal when one bad play could kill his earnings potential by tens of millions of dollars. I hope he gets the right advice from his friends and family. If you are a hockey player and have the option of signing a 6x6 million deal but instead to go for a 2 year 4 million deal that is just plain stupid considering the risks involved in your profession.

I wonder if Mort still thinks he has the guts to go through arbitration twice? He's also engaged now.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
I think it was a flash knockout. Right on the button. Benn is a BIG guy. Doesn't necessarily mean anything and most people recover just fine from a knockout.

Reactions: kanadalainen

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I wonder if Mort still thinks he has the guts to go through arbitration twice? He's also engaged now.

:laugh: Some players take the risk of going to the market every year. That doesn't mean it is a good gamble.

I don't think I ever said I thought he would do 2 arb contracts. I said that if he goes through with arb this year it would be a signal that he would probably do it again next year to get to RFA.

I also said several times that I agreed that your 'courthouse steps' scenario was quite likely. What I advocated was that Chevy short- circuit that possibility by making a push to sign him last summer. Then if he won't sign he could have been traded.

I think 815 is right that these injuries must be making him think about that strategy, if he hadn't already.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think it was a flash knockout. Right on the button. Benn is a BIG guy. Doesn't necessarily mean anything and most people recover just fine from a knockout.

What is a knockout if it isn't a concussion?

People recover just fine. Boxers get knocked out all the time. In the short term. Eventually they become "punch drunk", which is what they called CTE before modern research.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

He may be ok or maybe not. He was really f***ed up and they take these things allot more seriously than they use to. Either way we have more than 3 weeks before the playoffs start so here’s hoping.

Reactions: irunthepeg

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg

If I was Trouba I'd be looking for long-term job security this summer and sign a deal with the Jets. It is borderline irresponsible on a personal level for him to sign another short term deal when one bad play could kill his earnings potential by tens of millions of dollars. I hope he gets the right advice from his friends and family. If you are a hockey player and have the option of signing a 6x6 million deal but instead to go for a 2 year 4 million deal that is just plain stupid considering the risks involved in your profession and I am not just saying this because I am a Jets fan and want him to stay. If I had my best friend playing hockey, I'd give him the same advice.

This is a very good post from Jet's Fan, and I totally agree. If I was giving Trouba advice, as an agent or his father, my first objective would be to get " financial security for life." Forget about the big bucs $$$ for now. Sign with a Stanley Cup contender, over 4-5 years at around $ 6mil, and you never have to worry about money again. What difference would it make if you got $ 1 or 2 mil extra, by "playing with danger" on short term contracts. You can only drive one Porsche at a time, and eat one steak at a time. A little extra money--really matters not.

I don't know right off the top of my head-- but I'm sure many players have had "career ending" injuries from an unfortunate hit, or accident. In my opinion Trouba should take the money with the Jets, and be happy he has financial security.

Her is young, and has plenty of time in 4-5 years, to chase the big dollars !!!

Last edited:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

This is a very good post from Jet's Fan, and I totally agree. If I was giving Trouba advice, as an agent or his father, my first objective would be to get " financial security for life." Forget about the big bucs $$$ for now. Sign with a Stanley Cup contender, over 4-5 years at around $ 6mil, and you never have to worry about money again. What difference would it make if you got $ 1 or 2 mil extra, by "playing with danger" on short term contracts. You can only drive one Porsche at a time, and eat one steak at a time. A little extra money--really matters not.

I don't know right off the top of my head-- but I'm sure many players have had "career ending" injuries from an unfortunate hit, or accident. In my opinion Trouba should take the money with the Jets, and be happy he has financial security.

Her is young, and has plenty of time in 4-5 years, to chase the big dollars !!!
100% agree. The guy had a neck injury that could have been extremely serious years back, you would think getting the financial security for life would be a high priority after that kind of injury scare

Reactions: Jimmyjets

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian

This is a very good post from Jet's Fan, and I totally agree. If I was giving Trouba advice, as an agent or his father, my first objective would be to get " financial security for life." Forget about the big bucs $$$ for now. Sign with a Stanley Cup contender, over 4-5 years at around $ 6mil, and you never have to worry about money again.

Yes, I agree. Beyond that, though, as much as I want Jake on this team for 4 or 5 years, I would suggest that durability of the player, as heartless as that sounds, will play into contract negotiations.

Is that the reality or am I just being Machiavellian?

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Typical sportsnet. They also said Benn’s penalty (and the goal) at the end of the first were questionable. It literally ruins my night when I see a game is on sportsnet. They are trash.
Sportsnet does such a horrible job on broadcasts. I got so mad adjusting the volume last night as they continuously muted the volume during play & then increased it during the play stopages. That and the biased broadcasters just totally ruins every Jet broadcast they do. What a pile of trash indeed.

Hoping for good news on Trouba - with Kuli gone for the season, we can ill afford any more serious defense injuries

FFHockey

Oct 12, 2015
Winnipeg, Manitoba,
Is it just me or was anyone else pissed when that commentator laughed about the fact Trouba was hurt...
Was it the Colour guy?

I know I watched (for some stupid reason) Sportsnet highlights later and I got the impression the guys were laughing about it too. Felt like reaching through the TV and choking the little weasels!

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Any self respecting concussion rating scale includes loss of consciousness, no matter how brief. His symptoms could be mild and he may recover quickly but in order to be knocked out your brain has to crash against the inside of your skull. He was concussed, we just don't know how severely.

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Sportsnet does such a horrible job on broadcasts. I got so mad adjusting the volume last night as they continuously muted the volume during play & then increased it during the play stopages. That and the biased broadcasters just totally ruins every Jet broadcast they do. What a pile of trash indeed.

Hoping for good news on Trouba - with Kuli gone for the season, we can ill afford any more serious defense injuries
SN is a steaming pile of shit, and that is besmirching piles of shit everywhere.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Typical sportsnet. They also said Benn’s penalty (and the goal) at the end of the first were questionable. It literally ruins my night when I see a game is on sportsnet. They are trash.

This is one of the reasons why I always hit mute on my TV when a Jets game is on Sportsnet. Then, I use my laptop to tune into Beyak on TSN1290, and try my best to sync the picture to the TV (thank goodness for being able to rewind live TV :laugh:).

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
SN or TSN, what really gets on my nerves are the guys who just ooze anti-Winnipeg sentiment. I'm looking at you Dave Randorf, Rod Black and Glen Suitor. Now Suitor, I can understand somewhat. The guy was a Rider for life and old rivalries die hard. But what's with the other two? Do their "Hi, you probably recognize me, I'm on TV" pickup lines not work in Winnipeg bars? :shakehead

Reactions: Snot Rocket

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
The update today will likely say

-Trouba has a concussion
- no timetable for return

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Any word on Trouba's situation yet?

Can't see Twitter posts, so please post any info directly?

Jets practice in 15 minutes. It usually lasts an hour. Maurice will update the situation post- practice normally about 15-30 minutes after it finishes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad