Injury Report: Trouba - returned from concussion 03/31

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
With another expansion draft coming Chevy is going to have consider those implications in any deal.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Really we can't afford Doughty with Laine's big contract coming up as well as everyone else. Doughty is a 10 million dollar player, Trouba is $7.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
If Chevy has to trade Trouba- because he wants out, or for whatever reason-- always be prepared for a "surprise"- as we were with Stastny. We can throw all the names we want around here, but it likely will be someone we did not expect.

If Trouba was traded, I'd like to see a "return" like Sergachev--that be great.

Let's hope Trouba signs here long term, and all this talk is speculation !!!

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
If the D can only protect 3 D right now its an easy choice of Mo, Trouba and Buff.
Yes, for sure but I was responding to a comment about trading Trouba to Florida and what pieces they would have to offer. A 1 for 1 is highly unlikely. Trading Trouba for lesser parts does not help a contending team. Trading him for a few parts does not work because the risk you end up losing one of those parts in the expansion draft.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Yes, for sure but I was responding to a comment about trading Trouba to Florida and what pieces they would have to offer. A 1 for 1 is highly unlikely. Trading Trouba for lesser parts does not help a contending team. Trading him for a few parts does not work because the risk you end up losing one of those parts in the expansion draft.
Chicago would constantly trade guys for prospects or draft picks when they were contending in order to keep under the salary cap. On the other hand, we would still be out a top pairing D. Unless Buff can pull it off. In that case, though Myers would still have to matchup against good offensively players and we would be in trouble.

SUX2BU

User of registers
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
So on the thread topic, when is Trouba back?

And on a off topic, congrats to Jacob and his future better half .....

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
So Ducky what would you trade him for if you can't resign him if all those other options are out of play and he forces the issue?

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
so...we're at the 5 week point, are we not?
any updates?
doesn't sound like Trouba's started skating, and i'd guess he needs 2 weeks of skating down

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
so...we're at the 5 week point, are we not?
any updates?
doesn't sound like Trouba's started skating, and i'd guess he needs 2 weeks of skating down

He's been skating since Monday and was supposed to travel with the team on this road trip.

Reactions: GNP and HannuJ

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
He's been skating since Monday and was supposed to travel with the team on this road trip.

Because Trouba is skating already, I'd think he'll be back in about 14 days -- give or take. He just won't want to push off that ankle, with any force.

Lowry is another case altogether-- it may take a very long time and surgery for a full recovery. Expect to see him, in and out of the lineup.

I think Copp can fill in well in that defensive role.

Georgetown Al

I’m back...
Aug 8, 2017
Troubs will sign...

Trouba will be a playoff beast just like Laine...

Winning Stanley Cups is the best for Troubs Future...

and the money he can make off of it...

Troubs is in love....

Raising kids in Canada is easier on the worry scale...

Right Wheels...

Reactions: GNP

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
So Ducky what would you trade him for if you can't resign him if all those other options are out of play and he forces the issue?
ATM I have no idea. That is the conundrum isnt it. Maybe Chevy deals with Trouba and worries about the expansion implications in another year.

IMO the first best choice is signing Trouba, trading Myers for prospects/picks and letting Enstrom walk.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
I don't know why peole keep saying "if we can't re-sign him" He has no other realistic option. Do you think he's going to play in Europe?

He may decide not to sign a long term deal but that's a different story than "if we can't re-sign him"

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Suppose Trouba is signed long term and the Jets move on from Enstrom and trade Myers for picks/prospects. That leaves the D as:

Morrissey - Trouba
Kulikov- Byfuglien
Chairot - Poolman
Niku?

Do you then try and sign someone like DeHaan? Basically swapping Myers salary on RHD for DeHaan on LHD. Maybe look at a 5/6 depth D as UFA? Folin?

Or does this show trading Myers HAS to garner an NHL ready Dman in return. For example there was talk (main board) of Hagg+ from Philly.

Chevy has his work cut out.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Suppose Trouba is signed long term and the Jets move on from Enstrom and trade Myers for picks/prospects. That leaves the D as:

Morrissey - Trouba
Kulikov- Byfuglien
Chairot - Poolman
Niku?

Do you then try and sign someone like DeHaan? Basically swapping Myers salary on RHD for DeHaan on LHD. Maybe look at a 5/6 depth D as UFA? Folin?

Or does this show trading Myers HAS to garner an NHL ready Dman in return. For example there was talk (main board) of Hagg+ from Philly.

Chevy has his work cut out.

It's been said you don't trade players, you trade contracts. If we're trading a RD, Myers has the least value. We have 1 year of Myers, Trouba's rights for 2 more years & 3 years for Byfuglien

I think Myers is here long term. The surgery he needed had been put off for years. The Jets stepped up & gave him not only the time off to recover, but then went above & beyond when he & his wife had complications with the birth of their first child.

That type of commitment will got a long way when resigning him. Maurice's recent comment that "Myers will be here a long time" cemented this in my mind.

I'll agree that the Jets can't continue to have 30+ million tied up on defensemen. A promotion to the Jets for Niku next year, a significant drop in salary if Enstrom resigns, a bridge deal for Morrissey, a small raise for Poolman, Chiarot being content in the press box...all of this will help but doesn't change the biggest issue. Byfuglien, Trouba, Myers...one has to go.

I certainly don't think it's coincidence that Trouba's next contract negotiation falls in line with Byfuglien's NMC becoming a modified NTC, Enstrom's salary coming off the books, & Poolman's likely promotion to becoming a regular roster player.

Trouba has seemed content since his last contract. He's a good fit for the room & above all the team is winning. I'll admit him buying a home in Florida & his girlfriend attending school there certainly doesn't send the best message, but I'm still holding out hope.

Bottom line in mind is there are two candidates for an offseason trade, Trouba & Byfuglien.

I think a case can be made for trading either & I remain divided on who it will be.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Nice article on Trouba here at The Athletic. It even has some Overhardt quotes that are generally positive although not very revealing.

IMG_0705.jpg

Everyone knows Jacob Trouba is extremely valuable to the...

If you're one of those anti paywall types suggest you don't click on the link above

Last edited:
Reactions: YWGinYYZ

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
“I do have a sense of humour,” Overhardt explained. “I have a really good relationship with that organization – despite what some people say. And I have a lot of respect for Kevin Cheveldayoff.”

This is what happens when you don't engage in public mudslinging and play your cards close to your chest. Having good players means you have to play nicely with the agents. Respect doesn't mean favour though, but it's a good place to be in.

The one thing Overhardt commented on with certainty is that Trouba is much happier with his role on the Jets today than he was back in 2016.
“Jacob’s said it himself,” Overhardt said about Trouba's 2016 contract holdout. “I think he’s made it clear a couple of times in the media. It was about minutes and it was also about playing on the right side and not having to switch back and forth. Yeah, that’s all been dissipated and I think it’s been asked and answered.”

So his positioning and minutes consumption have been met, according to him. It all comes down to whether he wants to be in this market or not.

Georgetown Al

I’m back...
Aug 8, 2017
Benn nailed Troubs...

Get well Troubs...

Playoffs incoming...

We need you Troubs...

------------------------

But get healthy first Troubs...

That's what matters the most...

Reactions: Tommigun

Ad