Injury Report: Trouba - returned from concussion 03/31

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
This is probably the right time to remind people that Brain injuries are unique in the fact that it is impossible to determine the severity or length of the injury by watching the incident that caused it.

Every single brain injury is different. You can be knocked out cold and pass all the concussion protocol and show no I'll effects in the short term.

However, You can also take a much less harmful impact to the head and not even realize you've been injured until days later and the recovery may take months.

New research has also suggested that knockout type events don't contribute any more or less to formation of CTE compared to smaller impacts. I.E. frequently getting reapeted blows to the head (think boxers or football linemen/running backs) is actually the main culprit of CTE and even being concussed or rendered unconscious is not the largest worry.

In this case there didn't even appear to be any direct contact to the head. It was just shaken very sharply. But there was obviously brain injury of some type or some severity.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Every single brain injury is different and so are the side effects.
Exactly look at the Paul Kariya hit in the playoffs agianst NJ ... he went into the dressing room, came back to the bench scored a goal and has no recollection of scoring it and doesn't remember playing in Game 7 back in New Jersey, either. He was never the same after that hit.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Any self respecting concussion rating scale includes loss of consciousness, no matter how brief. His symptoms could be mild and he may recover quickly but in order to be knocked out your brain has to crash against the inside of your skull. He was concussed, we just don't know how severely.

How is that possible? I watch WWE and see John Cena take 6 chair shots to the head, be knocked out cold but then out of nowhere deliver his finisher, win and then wake up the next morning to defend the title on Monday Night RAW :sarcasm:

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
You can’t force him true. He can always take his talents to Davos

Or he can keep kicking the contract rock down the road a couple of more times and force your hand with a trade before he becomes a UFA.... If he doesn't mind losing some money and taking on some risk to leave nothing you can do but hold him until the hour glass runs out of sand .......

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Or he can keep kicking the contract rock down the road a couple of more times and force your hand with a trade before he becomes a UFA.... If he doesn't mind losing some money to leave nothing you can do but hold him until the hour glass runs out of sand .......

We’ve Been through all this dozens of times.

No star player has ever done that .... gone through arbitration twice to become s UFA. I have always said Ivwoukd commend him if he has the courage to do that

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
More from twitterverse

#NHLJets coach Paul Maurice confirms Jacob Trouba is in concussion protocol but no diagnosis yet. Feeling good today, more evaluation coming. #wfp

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Maurice statement on Trouba for the twitter challenged

19_E1364_E-_C818-4772-80_E6-_E26_B55_EC145_B.jpg

Reactions: csk

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
We’ve Been through all this dozens of times.

No star player has ever done that .... gone through arbitration twice to become s UFA. I have always said Ivwoukd commend him if he has the courage to do that

Is that because the players get cold feet and just sign a long term deal? Or because they hold fast and the GM trades them before their value starts to diminish as they approach UFA? No one is saying he will get to UFA, but even to get to within 18 months of the UFA line is as long as he will have to drag it out as the team would act at that point IMO.

Hope he can stay symptom free and get back on the ice soon.....fingers crossed!

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
At some point, I think injury history becomes an issue. As fans we got pretty tired of Bogo's injuries - and Chevy moved him out. I don't think Trouba is there yet but I certainly hope this isn't going to be his pattern.

Bogo is also half the defenseman Trouba was. What are Trouba's injuries? Mistiming a hit behind the net and running head first into the boards? Having someone roll his ankle in a game? Getting stood up at the blue line and absorbing the worst of a hit? These are all the result of unfortunate incidents. He hasn't been injured doing mundane things, like absorbing checks along the wall and other things that defensemen are expected to do. I'm not terribly worried about an injury history.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Is that because the players get cold feet and just sign a long term deal? Or because they hold fast and the GM trades them before their value starts to diminish as they approach UFA? No one is saying he will get to UFA, but even to get to within 18 months of the UFA line is as long as he will have to drag it out as the team would act at that point IMO.

Hope he can stay symptom free and get back on the ice soon.....fingers crossed!

It’s because they normally choose the financial security of a long term contract. Many players get married and start families just as they reach that stage of their hockey careers, and it becomes a higher priority for them. They also can begin to realize how perilous their future in the game is and they are not invincible

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
It’s because they normally choose the financial security of a long term contract. Many players get married and start families just as they reach that stage of their hockey careers, and it becomes a higher priority for them. They also can begin to realize how perilous their future in the game is and they are not invincible

Zero argument that the smart thing to do here is to take the BIG money LONG term deal and run.....But every month that goes by the clock ticks louder and louder for both Chevy and Trouba as they get close to that 18 month line in the sand from UFA......

Reactions: GNP

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
don't rush the players. let them recover. they're in a position where they don't need to rush anything

if he seems fine for a week. give him another week

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Zero argument that the smart thing to do here is to take the BIG money LONG term deal and run.....But every month that goes by the clock ticks louder and louder for both Chevy and Trouba as they get close to that 18 month line in the sand from UFA......

Well Overhadt told Chevy they wouldn’t negotiate during the season. Not sure what else you expect.

I’ve always thought Trouba would file for arb. I never expected a contract signing until then.

I think that would actually be a good thing.

If he chooses not to file for arb then I’d be more worried.

portamoral

Nov 6, 2015
Studies have also shown 0 side effects over a long period after a loss of consciousness event.

Every single brain injury is different and so are the side effects.
what i'm saying is, side effects are not what we should be going off of entirely. damage is done regardless. there should be a minimum recommended period that these players should be taking off after concussions. much longer than the 7 day protocol we have now.

obviously it's up to the athlete what they want to do with their own body after a certain point but if we all accept that there is far more going on than meets the eye with concussions, it might save some of them in the long run if they are fully aware of the risks and consequences involved.

Last edited:

portamoral

Nov 6, 2015
You may have a point but this is not what you said in that previous post.

BTW, those studies use 'tests'.

Picking 'till the end' is entirely arbitrary. It may be unnecessary, or it may be nowhere near enough.

I didn't like the look of him last night. To my layman's eye that looked like a severe concussion. I hope he is not out a lot longer than just till the end of the season.
i said "minimum" rest of the season for a reason. if it takes longer than that so be it, but anything short of a month or so is way too fast, no matter what symptoms he is or isn't having; especially when we've essentially made the playoffs already.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
don't rush the players. let them recover. they're in a position where they don't need to rush anything

if he seems fine for a week. give him another week

What evidence is there that the Jets rush players back from concussions?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
There isn't much a team can do if the player successfully passes all stages of the protocol. The PA can get involved if a team is purposeully holding a "healthy" player out.

This is why there needs to be a different set of testing and monitoring to take the say out of the players hands. I have some hope that that new brain blood flow MRI that can monitor the flow in healthy vs. Healing brains will revolutionize the diagnosis and monitoring recovery of concusions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad