Value of: Trouba/Morrissey

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Trouba will "probably" get more but Morrissey is the better player.
Really? Morrissey seems to be the weakest link on D for Jets.. Trouba the most consistent...
I didnt watch much of Jets during regular season but some plays from Morrissey are cringe worthy..

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Really? Morrissey seems to be the weakest link on D for Jets.. Trouba the most consistent...
I didnt watch much of Jets during regular season but some plays from Morrissey are cringe worthy..
You don’t have to say this, it’s incredibly obvious from your post

Reactions: snowkiddin

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
You don’t have to say this, it’s incredibly obvious from your post
Well im watching them these playoffs and have emotionally and financially invested in their success...
Sorry but Mr.M hasnt looked anything good to me. Sorry if that comment ticked Jets fans off.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Well im watching them these playoffs and have emotionally and financially invested in their success...
Sorry but Mr.M hasnt looked anything good to me. Sorry if that comment ticked Jets fans off.

Not every Defensmen has to score...

I mean maybe Morrissey isn’t throwing bodies around all over the place like Buff or scoring like him, but he is making blocks, causing turnovers and chechking the Offence extremely well thus far in the playoffs.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
I kind of doubt you’ve been watching the playoffs if that’s your opinion. Or you just have a terrible understanding of hockey

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

I mean maybe Morrissey isn’t throwing bodies around all over the place like Buff or scoring like him, but he is making blocks, causing turnovers and chechking the Offence extremely well thus far in the playoffs.
He is getting the job done i guess but doesnt come across as a cerebral player but looks like someone in over his head and trying too hard.
You guys expect him to get a 5.5M+ per contract? Trouba is gonna get that easy.

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
If you believe this and aren't actually trying to illicit a reaction then you're simply 100% incorrect. Don't ask Jets fans, if watching doesn't give you the accurate answer, seek out comments from coaches and other players.

Boreal

Jun 26, 2012
Trouba to LA?

Well... I mean, if Doughty or Kopitar are on the table as you imply (not Kempe/Vilardi), there's always a conversation to be had. There isn't much I wouldn't do to get either in a Jets uniform.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016

Weakest link? lol wut

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015

If you ask Minny's coach, taking Morrissey out of the game would've won Minny game 4.....

Reactions: Snowman

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
He is getting the job done i guess but doesnt come across as a cerebral player but looks like someone in over his head and trying too hard.
Anyone who watches the Jets play and understands hockey will find this laughable. It’s not quite as stupid as "I don’t think McDavid skates very well" or "I don’t think Bergeron is very good defensively" but It’s close.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Trouba has been the least consistent what are you talking about? Trouba had some of the most cringe-worthy plays from our back end (ie: the passes in front of the net directly to the Wild and in the earlier his puck handling was very sloppy). what plays are you referring to from Morrissey?

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

Morrissey's offense is coming along. He led the Jets D in Even strength scoring and was ranked 36th in the league in EV scoring (he doesnt play PP that much). I dont expect him to replace Buff's production of 50+ pts but he does have good offensive instincts, just hasn't had the opportunities on the PP yet which will boost his numbers. wouldnt surprise me if he flirts with 0.5 PPG.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

Funny thing is, I would describe them as the exact opposite.

Morrissey is Mr. Reliable and Trouba is all over the board.

Now in Troubas case, he has been injured a couple of times this year and that can throw guys off. I think that Trouba has a higher ceiling and has had a higher elevation of play when he's on his game but Morrissey has been consistently good.

If you look at these playoffs, Morrissey is the one making great plays in our own zone while Trouba has had a couple of INSANELY bad giveaways.

I think Trouba can be the better D-man but Morrissey is right there with him....just in different ways.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
I prefer Trouba but it’s close. Both are outstanding defensively and very good offensively, but Trouba is more of a risk taker. He will take some chances to make a play and he has the talent to get it done, but it leads to the occasional glaring effort. Morrissey plays nearly error free hockey, zero risk perfect positioning never makes the same mistake twice but still has the skating, puckhandling and offensive instincts to be an impact player offensively.

Both tend to be under the radar due to lack of PowerPlay time and limited roles when they do get out there. Trouba in particular tends to be seriously underrated offensively. His 5v5 scoring rates over the last 2 years are top 5 in the NHL and he’s the only D-man in the top 10 who can legitimately be called great defensively.

Morrissey, with his low key game, is still more unnoticed which could translate into a better contract, but I get the sense there is a growing recognition for his game. If the Jets go deep the narrative on him by summer could be that he’s one of the best young D-men in the game which could raise his price. He would still be giving up 2 fewer UFA years than Trouba which brings his contract value down

Factoring in everything. IMO Trouba gets something like 7.0 – 7.5 over 7 years Morrissey gets ~6.0 over 7 years. I can see Trouba doing 4-6 years and taking a bit less, but he’d still be over 6.

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
Let's discuss Kopitar or Doughty, then...

Ok...let's talk Kopitar! Doughty is probably not the right Trouba trade with 1 year left.

Trouba to LA?

Well... I mean, if Doughty or Kopitar are on the table as you imply (not Kempe/Vilardi), there's always a conversation to be had. There isn't much I wouldn't do to get either in a Jets uniform.

I'm listening...what do you got for Kopitar? Doughty probably isn't the right trade with 1 year left.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Ok...let's talk Kopitar! Doughty is probably not the right Trouba trade with 1 year left.

I'm listening...what do you got for Kopitar? Doughty probably isn't the right trade with 1 year left.

Kopitars contract is way to expensive for the Jets going forward(unless Perreault and Little are involved in the move with Trouba for Kopitar)... but Kopitar between Laine and Ehlers( or Connor and Wheeler) would be something special, that Top 6 would be absolutely unstoppable.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I think NYI will go hard after Trouba if he becomes available.

If a 7 x 7 offsheet costs 1st, 2nd, 3rd, will Winnipeg match that?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad