Value of: Trouba/Morrissey

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
I think NYI will go hard after Trouba if he becomes available.

If a 7 x 7 offsheet costs 1st, 2nd, 3rd, will Winnipeg match that?
That's 4 1sts.

When calculating the number that decides the picks, the number of years is capped at 5.

So 7x7 = 49 / 5 = 9.8 = 4 1sts.

Now if you offered $7x5, the Jets might be in a pickle.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
That's 4 1sts.

When calculating the number that decides the picks, the number of years is capped at 5.

Gotcha.

I think the Islanders would likely look down the trade route. With four picks in the 1st two rounds, I think they have the ammo to make a competitve offer (would obviously include other pieces).

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Gotcha.

I think the Islanders would likely look down the trade route. With four picks in the 1st two rounds, I think they have the ammo to make a competitve offer (would obviously include other pieces).

If Trouba decides that he's done in Winnipeg, I could see the Islanders making a big push.

Kaen

Dec 29, 2009
Chris Tanev + Markus Granlund

For

Jacob Trouba + Sami Niku

Picks to balance it out?

Not even close. Jets fans would much rather have Trouba than Tanev and I don't see why they should trade away Niku for a forward with their current forward depth.

Reactions: Snowman

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014

Yes. And it would actually be 2 1sts, 2nd and 3rd. Still an easy match because of the term.

In order for the Jets not to match you'd have to make the contract toxic. Instead of 7 x 7 do 1 x 9 or something where you'd lock the jets into paying $9/year for his last 2 years and he could then go to free agency. Keeping him at that price may create a cap casualty as well and would be the floor for Laine's negotiation.

Jets would then return the favour with Barzal when he becomes restricted. It's why offer sheets never happen.

Reactions: aqsw

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017

For

Jacob Trouba + Sami Niku

Picks to balance it out?

Lol....

Trouba is better than Tanev today and happens to be younger than him by 4 years and younger than Granlund by a year as well. Trouba alone will our score them both combined from the back end.

Niku is 21 years old and is the best Defender in the AHL as a rookie and was the youngest Defensmen to ever win the Shore award(best Defensmen in the AHL). If my assumptions are correct that Niku will be the best Scorer of all players mentioned in your post(as he has the best scoring tools of all the players mentioned), than he will outscore both Granlund and Tanev combined as well(in a year or two).

Vancouver would need to throw 2 1st round picks and a 2nd in to make it ever happen.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Yes. And it would actually be 2 1sts, 2nd and 3rd. Still an easy match because of the term.

In order for the Jets not to match you'd have to make the contract toxic. Instead of 7 x 7 do 1 x 9 or something where you'd lock the jets into paying $9/year for his last 2 years and he could then go to free agency. Keeping him at that price may create a cap casualty as well and would be the floor for Laine's negotiation.

Jets would then return the favour with Barzal when he becomes restricted. It's why offer sheets never happen.

I read somewhere that we could really see offer sheets become more of a thing soon.

Kaen

Dec 29, 2009
I read somewhere that we could really see offer sheets become more of a thing soon.

Where and from who? While I wouldn't be happy with it as a Jets fans, as an NHL fan it would make for some more interesting deals going down. That being said, I'll believe it when I see it. Without sources it's nothing more than baseless speculation.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016

For

Jacob Trouba + Sami Niku

Picks to balance it out?
All of your picks for the next eternity. And Pettersson. And Horvat. And everything.

In other words, what a f***ing tire fire of an offer.

Reactions: Snowman

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Is Trouba definitely on the way out? Why would WPG want to move him? Isn't the team better off just keeping him?

Laine, Helleuyck, Connor and many other names need new contracts. Most Jets fans would and rightly so should want to boot Trouba before any other potential stars due to his history.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Laine, Helleuyck, Connor and many other names need new contracts. Most Jets fans would and rightly so should want to boot Trouba before any other potential stars due to his history.

If WPG wants to or needs to move him the return won’t be what it should be. If it’s partially cap driven the return will likely be futures to alleviate a cap crunch

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont

It would actually be 2/1st’s and 1/2nd and 1/3rd. If Trouba really wants out he wouldn’t sign an offer sheet as Winnipeg would match then he’s stuck here. If he really wants out Chevy would negotiate something close to OSheet compensation with a mix of ELC prospects who can step in right away

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
That's 4 1sts.

Now if you offered $7x5, the Jets might be in a pickle.

I think that’s just under the 4 1sts. It’s $9.81???? Something rather. I think it fits into the 2/1sts 2nd and 3rd

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
Jets match 7x7 to lock up a top pairing D long-term. I think we see a 6 year deal signed this summer for Trouba, possibly a bridge for Morris. We went from lacking defense to pretty stacked, pretty quickly.

Reactions: jgimp

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Within the next two off-seasons one of Myers or Trouba goes. Myers would likely go as a UFA, Trouba could haul a pretty solid return. If they could replace Trouba in the short-term and add a bunch of assets to keep things rolling in the long-term it might make some sense to sell high on Trouba. His durability is really holding him back from taking the next step in his career IMO.

Morrissey is going to be a superstar IMO. He's already in the shutdown role and he's going to add more offense once he gets PP minutes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad