Proposal: Trouba Mega Thread Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Chevy won't get a top 4, young LHD for Trouba, they are not available. Chevy

Keep dreaming. No one if going to give you a 22 year old #1/2 D for magic beans, regardless of them asking for a trade.

Chevy can let him sit, but that is bad asset management for the Jets.

Yes he can let him sit. Bad asset management is not getting value for the player. Magic beans that don't help your team, is the equivalent of him sitting forever. Since there is no chance that happens if the Jets retain his rights than asset management strongly suggests not trading him.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
I think Lindholm can command a higher AAV than Trouba. Maybe Trouba would even take a bridge deal to facilitate a move to an American team where he will play right side only.

That's the dream...

This is the part I find amusing. I still remain unclear as to what Jets fans realistically think they can get for Trouba. I'm sure they are enjoying him losing money but how is that helping their team. There are very few teams that have the cap space or assets Jets fans seems to want.

Clearly Fowler isn't good enough
Krug doesn't seem to be who they like

Jets fans, can you name two realistic trades for Trouba that would make sense for both teams?

Jets fans looked at Trouba's underlying numbers and saw him playing as their number 1 defenceman throughout not only his, but also Schiefele's, Ehlers's, Hellebuyck's, Laine's, and Connor's prime years.

How do you replace that, satisfactorily?

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
lol, Fowler at best 50 cents on the dollar? That is a laughable assertion.

Actually 50 cents on the dollar is very accurate. Let's put aside talent for now (Jets fans clearly don't believe Fowler is any better then 2nd pairing D). Fowler has two years left before bolting via UFA Trouba has a min of 4 years left. So yes it's at best 50 cents on the dollar.

Easy pass on Fowler

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Chevy is playing this the right way IMO. He's a young guy that's definitely money hungry. This is the age/contract that will set him up for life. Let him sit, he'll get desperate enough and then he'll end up signing long term to a more cap friendly contract. He remains a Jet IMO.

Lol with Overhardt as Trouba's agent there's zero chance that Trouba will ever sign long term with Winnipeg. Trouba is only signing long term to be traded elsehwere not to stick with Winnipeg. Overhardt will not deal with Cheveldayoff period only if it's a sign and trade kind of deal. Trouba's days more or less in Winnipeg are over.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Agreed. You take the 5 million dollars everytime

He doesn't want to be there and you can't fault him for that. He never asked to be drafted by Winnipeg and owes them very little.
Maybe he should just rent a condo and sign high cap, 1 year deals until Winnipeg can trade him for a return that they like or he hits UFA at the earliest point possible.

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
Actually 50 cents on the dollar is very accurate. Let's put aside talent for now (Jets fans clearly don't believe Fowler is any better then 2nd pairing D). Fowler has two years left before bolting via UFA Trouba has a min of 4 years left. So yes it's at best 50 cents on the dollar.

Easy pass on Fowler

So I ask, what would be a reasonable trade offer for Trouba that satisfies both teams?

I honestly think this is going to get worse before it gets better.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Agreed. Fowler is not as good as Trouba is now, and he has only 2 years before UFA, whereas Trouba isn't UFA for another 4 years.

I don't see Fowler as a reasonable basis for Trouba at all. I'd much prefer either a very good D prospect as the centerpiece, or a top-6 forward and a good D prospect.

Keep dreaming. No one if going to give you a 22 year old #1/2 D for magic beans, regardless of them asking for a trade.

Yes he can let him sit. Bad asset management is not getting value for the player. Magic beans that don't help your team, is the equivalent of him sitting forever. Since there is no chance that happens if the Jets retain his rights than asset management strongly suggests not trading him.

I agree with both posts. Well said

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
So I ask, what would be a reasonable trade offer for Trouba that satisfies both teams?

I honestly think this is going to get worse before it gets better.

As fans we never know who truly is available so this is impossible for fans to answer accurately. But you can bet Fowler isn't the return without a significant plus added to Fowler

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
As fans we never know who truly is available so this is impossible for fans to answer accurately. But you can bet Fowler isn't the return without a significant plus added to Fowler

So in other words, you have no idea or suggestions either?

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Jets fans, can you name two realistic trades for Trouba that would make sense for both teams?

There isn't one. They want to trade a guy without a contract for an equal player signed to a good contract. No team will do that.

That's the dream...

Jets fans looked at Trouba's underlying numbers and saw him playing as their number 1 defenceman throughout not only his, but also Schiefele's, Ehlers's, Hellebuyck's, Laine's, and Connor's prime years.

How do you replace that, satisfactorily?

So you are shopping him based on his ceiling, not as his current self?

Jet fans are looking for a team to pay value of a top pairing D for a potential top pairing D without a contract?

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Jet fans are looking for a team to pay value of a top pairing D for a potential top pairing D without a contract?

Ask Anaheim fans what they want in return for Lindholm. The price they would expect people to pay is the same as you would expect for an established elite defenseman.

Now, look at his contract thread. Almost every Anaheim fan says that he should be paid in the #1 - #2 d-man range.

You bet your butt there is a price for potential, and it's not unique to Jets players.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
He doesn't want to be there and you can't fault him for that. He never asked to be drafted by Winnipeg and owes them very little.
Maybe he should just rent a condo and sign high cap, 1 year deals until Winnipeg can trade him for a return that they like or he hits UFA at the earliest point possible.

Why on earth would Chevy sign him to a 1 year high cap contract?

If Trouba is completely determined to go elsewhere, he will either be traded before signing a deal, with a deal ready to be signed by his new team, or he'll sign a good value deal in Winnipeg with the understanding that he'll be dealt thereafter.

The Jets are not going to screw themselves with a crappy contract with Trouba. Chevy holds a very strong hand because of Trouba's situation (RFA without arbitration rights) and because there is no real pressure on Chevy and the Jets to compete this season. When the December 1 deadline starts to get closer I think Trouba and Overhardt will be much more nervous than Chevy. They could be wasting a full NHL season and delaying UFA by a full year. That's going to cost Trouba a bundle, beyond causing stagnation in his career trajectory at a crucial time.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015

Presumably that's true of most, if not all drafted players. What's your solution? Everyone plays for TB? Everyone sits out until they get to play for the team they always dreamed of being drafted by?

Trpuba may or may not "owe" the Jets anything, but they own his rights. If he wants to play in the NHL he plays for them or is traded. That's it. Whether or not or what he "owes" them is beside the point.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Yeah, I'd try to work out something with Toronto, Anaheim and Winnipeg.

Winnipeg ----> Cam Fowler + Andreas Johnsson
Anaheim -----> Nikita Soshnikov + Kasperi Kapanen
Toronto -----> Jacob Trouba

Toronto give's up some of our winger depth, but it'd still be incredibly deep.

Anaheim gets two very good near nhl ready wingers, and loses salary to sign Lindholm.

Winnipeg gets the young LHD they have been looking for, and gets an added prospect to sweeten the deal.

Overall, I think all teams achieve what they want out of this deal, even if some tweaking is needed

Get serious guys. Fowler and a half decent or even decent prospect isn't going to cut it -- its been proposed half a million times

Gotaf7

Nov 6, 2011
There isn't one. They want to trade a guy without a contract for an equal player signed to a good contract. No team will do that.

So you are shopping him based on his ceiling, not as his current self?

And this is exactly why he is sitting and not playing, Chevy's ask is very high because he will not trade him without a contract in place, he knows that no team will trade with him. If he signs a fair long term contract he will be gone to his greener pastures. No contract no trade, I would bet every team in the league that was in this situation would handle the situation just like Chevy is handling it.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
He is a top pairing D. He was 56th in TOI/GP last year.

When playing at home, did he have the highest or second highest quality of competition for Dmen on his team at 5 on 5? Or within the top 60 D men throughout the league?

The hallmark of a top pairing Dman (imo) is getting matched up against the oppositions top lines, especially at home when you have last change.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Yeah, I'd try to work out something with Toronto, Anaheim and Winnipeg.

Winnipeg ----> Cam Fowler + Andreas Johnsson
Anaheim -----> Nikita Soshnikov + Kasperi Kapanen
Toronto -----> Jacob Trouba

Toronto give's up some of our winger depth, but it'd still be incredibly deep.

Anaheim gets two very good near nhl ready wingers, and loses salary to sign Lindholm.

Winnipeg gets the young LHD they have been looking for, and gets an added prospect to sweeten the deal.

Overall, I think all teams achieve what they want out of this deal, even if some tweaking is needed

Right if Fowler is going to Winnipeg then the add is going to be far better then Johnsson this isn't even close to fair value for Trouba not even close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad