Speculation: Trouba Contract Negotiations not close?

Nickel eye Heel hers

Happy thoughts
Feb 12, 2016
granola island, BC
I think, if he stays in the Peg, it's a 1yr X 5mil bridge deal.
Prove you can repeat last season and deserve term and money, kinda thing.

Even if you were right, and I don't think you are, about a 1 year deal, you're completely out to lunch on $$. A one year deal would be more like 2.5 million. A RFA won't get a 1 year UFA type contract reward for holding out.

It would be sign or don't play.

Regardless, I think a long term contract more likely. His agent just likes to draw things out and make things as painful as possible, as per his M.O.

Nickel eye Heel hers

Happy thoughts
Feb 12, 2016
granola island, BC
Turris contract. Asked for $4 M. Signed after 2 month holdout at about $1.3M per on 2 year deal. Relationship destroyed. Trade only result.

Sure you can lowball and play hardball but be prepared for the cost.

If Jets start off poor their will be media pressure to do something.

I can't think of a situation where the Jets 2.0 have ever forced a good player to a low ball contract.

Not over paying for a player when contract term and salary has already been determined by previous teams signing similar players is not low balling.

If there ends up being bad blood between Trouba and Jets management, Overhardt will be the responsible party.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I can't think of a situation where the Jets 2.0 have ever forced a good player to a low ball contract.

Not over paying for a player when contract term and salary has already been determined by previous teams signing similar players is not low balling.

If there ends up being bad blood between Trouba and Jets management, Overhardt will be the responsible party.

$3.5 M per would be lowball.

I'm not disagreeing. You are right about the agent. That being said being right doesn't get the deal signed if the end game is either overpay or force a move. Like it or not this has the potential to poison the well. If history has taught us anything with the agent that's the game he's playing. In order to prevent ill will pay a premium.

OutsideLookingIn

Feb 9, 2010
His agent is fighting a losing battle and costing his players. And he does so just so he can toot his own horn.

He needs to pick a different hill to die on than the RFA one. Players coming out of ELCs have no leverage.

Serious question, if you were Trouba and the Jets said:
We will offer you 2 years, $3.5 milion AAV or else you can sit out, we are NOT trading you, what would you do? Sit out and waste a year? Players who do so don't usually recover from it. Go to Europe? You cant, there is a transfer agreement which blocks that.

What are your options? The only thing you can do is say "I will remember this next contract when I have more options." But that doesn't help you today.

My $20 says, Trouba gets traded for the best package of assets just before the WC opens. You can say his agent is tooting his horn, but his job is to do what's best for Trouba career. In my opinion, Winnipeg does not offer him the best opportunity to be a great player. Winnipeg can not afford to get in to a hold out situation, just based on the infority complex of not being able to keep top end talent.

I think it gets ugly and the Jets end up on the short end.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
My $20 says, Trouba gets traded for the best package of assets just before the WC opens. You can say his agent is tooting his horn, but his job is to do what's best for Trouba career. In my opinion, Winnipeg does not offer him the best opportunity to be a great player. Winnipeg can not afford to get in to a hold out situation, just based on the infority complex of not being able to keep top end talent.

The Jets have shown no difficulty keeping top end talent. Their management has no "complex" in that regard.

Trouba's agent might try to hold him out because that's what he does sometimes. Chevy might end up paying a bit more than what many around here think is "market value", but that's mainly because I think that the Jets value Trouba very highly.

OutsideLookingIn

Feb 9, 2010
The Jets have shown no difficulty keeping top end talent. Their management has no "complex" in that regard.

Trouba's agent might try to hold him out because that's what he does sometimes. Chevy might end up paying a bit more than what many around here think is "market value", but that's mainly because I think that the Jets value Trouba very highly.[/QUOTE

I think Lawless is right on and it has nothing to do with term and money, as everyone has said, the market is pretty defined. It has to do with opportunity and I don't think Trouba sees it in Winnipeg. He is going to be the third wheel behind Buff and Myers, while playing his offside. Does not any see this as a problem for Trouba? His agent is doing his job by finding Trouba's best opportunity to have success. RFA with no leverage have been traded, because the leverage exists in sitting out and having an asset on the sidelines not helping the team in any way. Do you really think Chipman wants the focus on Winnipeg, because a player doesn't want to be there, for what ever reason.

Nickel eye Heel hers

Happy thoughts
Feb 12, 2016
granola island, BC

You don't think Buff, Schiefele or Wheeler are high end talent ?
Mind blown.

Wheeler was in the top 10 in points.
Buff and Schiefele just signed big contracts. Schiefele for 8 years.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Trouba to the Leafs? Leafs have a spot for him on the right side on the top pairing with Morgan Rielly. They also have the assets to acquire him and the money to sign him.

Do they have the assets? All I ever see in Trouba to Leaf proposals are incredibly poor offers for Trouba. Anything Winnipeg would want from Toronto is immediately off the table apparently, so I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Do they have the assets? All I ever see in Trouba to Leaf proposals are incredibly poor offers for Trouba. Anything Winnipeg would want from Toronto is immediately off the table apparently, so I'm not sure what you're talking about.

You are correct, the Leafs realistically have nothing they would offer the Jets to get the Jets interest. Leafs have only two assets that would interest the Jets and the Leafs would never offer them b/c they desperately need them. Pass on any Leafs offers, complete non starters.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Even if you were right, and I don't think you are, about a 1 year deal, you're completely out to lunch on $$. A one year deal would be more like 2.5 million. A RFA won't get a 1 year UFA type contract reward for holding out.

It would be sign or don't play.

Regardless, I think a long term contract more likely. His agent just likes to draw things out and make things as painful as possible, as per his M.O.
RFA Michael Stone just signed a 1yr/$4m deal

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Alright I'm calling it. Lindholm...maybe better than Trouba, but if he is...it's not by a hell of a lot.

Scoring:

Lindholm- 10g 18a 28pts.

Trouba- 6g 15a 21pts

So...pretty close.

But wait there is more...

5v5 scoring.

Lindholm: 0.49

Trouba: 0.54

PP TOI/60

Lindholm: 1.97

Trouba: 1.28

So Hampus Lindholm only scored 7 more pts, despite being on the pp more. A power play that was undoubtedly better than Winnipeg's.

PP%

ANA: 23.1

WPG: 14.4

Well, now...isn't all of this interesting.

Palmer2Fitz

Oct 2, 2015
Why? Would Trouba want to go to Arizona a team that's not much better then the team he's playing for now the Winnipeg Jets. And in what world does Trouba belong in hot Arizona when he's a good ole Michigan boy that's used to the cold weather. First off i seriously doubt that Arizona has the pieces for Trouba right now and is Yotes GM John Chayka willing to commit around $7 million per long term for Trouba in the near future because down the road he will easily get that much.

My entire family came here from Michigan. Do a little research and see how many people on the east coast and Canada own homes here in Arizona. Although it may be hot, you can do whatever you want outside including swimming all year round. As for why he would want to play here... The Coyotes are an up and coming team just like the Jets. The only difference is Trouba would be guaranteed the first line RD spot he wants. He would be paired with OEL on the first line even strength and the #1 pp unit. As for not having the assets to trade for Trouba, the Coyotes have arguebaly the most assets to make a trade like this or maybe second only to the Jets. And for your last point Chayla has plenty of room to sign a top pairing d in his budget.

I think the better question is why wouldn't he want to come here to Arizona?

Kitchener Boy

Apr 9, 2012
Kitchener
My entire family came here from Michigan. Do a little research and see how many people on the east coast and Canada own homes here in Arizona. Although it may be hot, you can do whatever you want outside including swimming all year round. As for why he would want to play here... The Coyotes are an up and coming team just like the Jets. The only difference is Trouba would be guaranteed the first line RD spot he wants. He would be paired with OEL on the first line even strength and the #1 pp unit. As for not having the assets to trade for Trouba, the Coyotes have arguebaly the most assets to make a trade like this or maybe second only to the Jets. And for your last point Chayla has plenty of room to sign a top pairing d in his budget.

You're right he would and Arizona has the assets.
Trouba would get what he wants, lacking research seems quite common.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016

Your forward assets hold very little appeal to us. You have Murphy, yes. Yet another RHD, but I guess we could use him. OEL and Goligoski are no gos for obvious reasons. Stone, no way in hell. Chychrun fits the need.

Murphy and Chychrun are a decent base to an offer. Needs a solid addition still.

JVR/Gardiner plus

So Gardiner for Myers it is then. If you want Trouba, Rielly comes back.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Lou Lam needs to get to work on Mo Riles future partner.

Unless it's a deal around Gardiner + then no. Not moving Nylander or Marner for him.

JVR/Gardiner plus

To my knowledge the last two young RHD men with top pairing upside to move were Seth Jones and Adam Larsson who fetched a young franchise #1 Centre and a top 3 NHL left wing? The market for the Rielly, Trouba, Larsson, Jones, types starts at stupid and the leafs only assets that get them in the game are players rebuilding organizations don't move. There are no short cuts so you guys are probably going to add this piece of the puzzle through the draft.

The good news is Liljegren looks like he would fit the bill perfectly so maybe you get lucky two years in a row.

Palmer2Fitz

Oct 2, 2015
To my knowledge the last two young RHD men with top pairing upside to move were Seth Jones and Adam Larsson who fetched a young franchise #1 Centre and a top 3 NHL left wing? The market for the Rielly, Trouba, Larsson, Jones, types starts at stupid and the leafs only assets that get them in the game are players rebuilding organizations don't move. There are no short cuts so you guys are probably going to add this piece of the puzzle through the draft.
The good news is Liljegren looks like he would fit the bill perfectly so maybe you get lucky two years in a row.

in all fairness those other deals didn't have contract negotiation issues with the other dmen. I'm not saying Trouba has any less value because of it so don't take this wrong. I'm just saying it could change a few things like it has in the past. Look at the example noted earlier in Turris. He was suppose to be that Franchise #1 center the Coyotes were in dying need of since JR. And they had to trade him for a prospect and a pick.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
in all fairness those other deals didn't have contract negotiation issues with the other dmen. I'm not saying Trouba has any less value because of it so don't take this wrong. I'm just saying it could change a few things like it has in the past. Look at the example noted earlier in Turris. He was suppose to be that Franchise #1 center the Coyotes were in dying need of since JR. And they had to trade him for a prospect and a pick.

Good post. The difference as I see it was that for what ever reason Turris was not really happening in Phoenix under Tippett. He was in his draft plus 5 season and not putting up points yet and it sounded like Tippet was still going to play him in the bottom six? I don't blame Turris or his agent for pushing for the move. Turris would have had trouble getting a long term deal for big money because he had not proven he was a top six Centre and Phoenix was not playing him in that role.

Trouba on the other hand is established already and has been our 2nd best D man for the past two seasons. He is getting the minutes but would like better offensive usage and our fan base would like to see him moved away from Stu. D men are a bit different and unlike a scoring Centre trapped in the bottom six Jacob as a D man has had the ability to show his top paring value and will get paid Like his Pier group of young Up and coming D men (IMO of coarse).

Turris really did need a fresh start To get paid. Jacob will get market value and have lots of time to maximize his value for his next deal.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

Well Trouba owns a home here in Florida, So i'm pretty sure that he would rather either sign with Florida or Tampa if and when his UFA days are up then that way he can play close to home. And both Florida and Tampa are far better then Arizona so like i said. Why? Would Trouba want to play in Arizona.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad