Speculation: Trouba Contract Negotiations not close?

OutsideLookingIn

Feb 9, 2010
lol This is RIDICULOUS....

You act as if they're playing him 8 minutes a game.

Quantity verse quality. Young players want the opportunity to reach their potential and Trouba can't reach that behind Buff and Myers, while playing his off side.

But, he can find that opportunity with a number of other teams, Tampa, Arizona, Detroit, Boston and Dallas.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
Trouba has probably been reading too much HFboards and has convinced himself he is a top defenceman

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Quantity verse quality. Young players want the opportunity to reach their potential and Trouba can't reach that behind Buff and Myers, while playing his off side.

But, he can find that opportunity with a number of other teams, Tampa, Arizona, Detroit, Boston and Dallas.

I do not know what kind of response will it take to get you to understand this.

WE CAN'T AFFORD TO TRADE TROUBA.

Trade him for ANYTHING ELSE than a straight up replacement, and we immediately come out as a worse team, and with a lot worse future in front of us. Who offers that replacement? No one. Solution? Keep him. Overpay if needed. I do not care if he gets paid more than he should. What I care about is if the team wins or not. We have a lot of good years in front of us with the core we currently have. Trouba is a big part of it.

Most posters are just ignorant and don't have a f***ing clue about what they are talking. They act like trading Trouba solves everything. No, it certainly does not. Without him, we no longer have a potential #1D for the future. We have a void of 22 minutes a night to fill, which we can't replace in house. We have Stuart and Strait, who are more and more likely to be regulars on the lineup without Trouba being there. We have no one to help Buff, Myers and Enstrom, who already play a lot every night. The ability to shelter prospects like Morrissey reduces drastically, further harming our future.

The list goes on and on. Why should we ever consider trading someone whose only other option is to not play at all, further reducing the amount of money he'll make?

Last edited:

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville

Trade him for ANYTHING ELSE than a straight up replacement, and we immediately come out as a worse team, and with a lot worse future in front of us. Who offers that replacement? No one. Solution? Keep him. Overpay if needed. I do not care if he gets paid more than he should. What I care about is if the team wins or not. We have a lot of good years in front of us with the core we currently have. Trouba is a big part of it.

Most posters are just ignorant and don't have a f***ing clue about what they are talking. They act like trading Trouba solves everything. No, it certainly does not. Without him, we no longer have a potential #1D for the future. We have a void of 22 minutes a night to fill, which we can't replace in house. We have Stuart and Strait, who are more and more likely to be regulars on the lineup without Trouba being there. We have no one to help Buff, Myers and Enstrom, who already play a lot every night. The ability to shelter prospects like Morrissey reduces drastically, further harming our future.

The list goes on and on. Why don't you consider these factors when you're writing your list of reasons why Trouba should hold out and leave Winnipeg ASAP?

Couldn't agree more. Unless Trouba absolutely does not want to play in Wpg. Then you still sign him to a bridge deal, get him playing with a real defense partner (as in anyone but Stu), and see what he's worth in trade in a couple years

cobra427

May 6, 2012

True. But, he is an RFA. He can't dictate where he plays, with who or how much. The NHLPA agreed to giving ELC's zero rights, RFA' few rights, and UFA's all the rights. They basically short changed the players having any leverage until they are a UFA. This sucks for a guy like Trouba being used on a lower D pairing when the price being paid to and for future top pairing D is really high. Trouba is a casualty of the labor agreement for RFA's at his position/age/stature.

He will end up signing a deal fans will love and stay there for now.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
You don't develop at the same rate whe you are playing with Stuart and Burmi as you do with quality NHL players. Trouba has been sacrificed by playing with Stuart and that may have created the rife with management. I think all players understand the contract process and it won't create a rift with the players.

Holding out is his only leverage and it will get him traded. Depending on which team he goes to, he may take a bridge deal due to cap space or a six year deal at $5.5 to $5.7.
I doubt Winnipeg trades him.

His options are to play where Winnipeg tells him or not play at all. And not playing at all is basically a poison pill for his career.

His agent needs to accept that they're over a barrel and advise Trouba to sign and play. But he won't because Overhardt is more concerned with his own status as an agent than the wellbeing of his clients' careers.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
The agent has a pretty clear game plan that he's used before. You can dispute the logic. I know in AZ we did. In the end though they did force a trade.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
The agent has a pretty clear game plan that he's used before. You can dispute the logic. I know in AZ we did. In the end though they did force a trade.

They didn't force a trade, they convinced Arizona that trading Turris was preferable to putting up with that headache. If Winnipeg is resolute about not trading Trouba, there's nothing Trouba can do.

Also, Turris rebounded in Ottawa, but he was rebounding from that fiasco. It's better to get steady time in the NHL, even on your off side, than it is to do the whole sit out song and dance.

I'm not criticizing Trouba for wanting more money, I'm criticizing Overhardt for repeatedly giving BAD advice to his players. It is his job to look out for the overall well fare of his players' careers as a whole, not stake their careers on getting a few million more during their first contracts out of their ELCs.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham

The list goes on and on. Why don't you consider these factors when you're writing your list of reasons why Trouba should hold out and leave Winnipeg ASAP?

Your whole argument is why Winnipeg needs Trouba, and then you end it with an unrelated conclusion.
Why should Trouba stay in Winnipeg?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
They didn't force a trade, they convinced Arizona that trading Turris was preferable to putting up with that headache. If Winnipeg is resolute about not trading Trouba, there's nothing Trouba can do.

Also, Turris rebounded in Ottawa, but he was rebounding from that fiasco. It's better to get steady time in the NHL, even on your off side, than it is to do the whole sit out song and dance.

I'm not criticizing Trouba for wanting more money, I'm criticizing Overhardt for repeatedly giving BAD advice to his players. It is his job to look out for the overall well fare of his players' careers as a whole, not stake their careers on getting a few million more during their first contracts out of their ELCs.

AZ was resolute about not trading until he signed. He did eventually sign just prior to Dec deadline and then mailed in his performance for a handful of games until the other players on the team pushed management to make a deal.

Still some bitter feelings regarding Turris and his management for orchestrating the move.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Your whole argument is why Winnipeg needs Trouba, and then you end it with an unrelated conclusion.
Why should Trouba stay in Winnipeg?

Seriously IDK what I was thinking. Fixed it now. And to answer your question, what other options does Trouba have? Play there or not play at all. My earlier post explained why holding out and hoping for a trade wouldn't work, so it would be stupid to try to force a trade that way.

If he wants to maximise his earnings, the absolute best option is to sign long term (6x5,25). After the six years have gone, I'd assume that Winnipeg will be a playoff team or even a contender by that point. At the end of year five, Buff's contract runs out, and Trouba has one year left as the leader of the defense, setting himself up with another big contract from a playoff team. As a 28 year old defenseman, he can easily get a big, 7-8 year contract then.

If he goes for a bridge deal now (2x2,8, Ryan Murray's bridge as a comparable), he'll be two years away from UFA after that, but there's a big problem for Trouba. Stuart will still be in Winnipeg during those years, and Buff will be the #1. There's a decent chance that Trouba would play with Buff, but if Stuart is still causing problems, Maurice knows who can carry Stuart. That will damage his numbers more, which will affect his paycheck, and above all, offset the benefit of signing a bridge deal in the first place. The other downside to a bridge deal is that Winnipeg has a lot of expiring, big contracts that year - Ehlers, Little, Enstrom to name a few, and if he has to go through the arbitration, there goes even more money. In his situation, a bridge deal will cost him a lot more than you'd think.

Long story short, Winnipeg can offer him the security of a long term deal now, but being problematic does not help his case at all.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
If Trouba wants too much money, then why wouldn't the Jets trade him?

There has been zero reports on what Trouba wants or if he's asking too much.....there has been nothing but speculation released (some of which has been confirmed to be completely wrong).

Chevy doesn't speak about negotiations and Trouba's agent has released nothing either other then confirming the one report of Trouba wanting 7 million was completely wrong.

People need to chill, it's only early August still, yikes. :shakehead

Keep Sorokin Me Babe

Hit em with the four like
Jun 18, 2016
there has been zero reports on what trouba wants or if he's asking too much.....there has been nothing but speculation released (some of which has been confirmed to be completely wrong).

Chevy doesn't speak about negotiations and trouba's agent has released nothing either other then confirming the one report of trouba wanting 7 million was completely wrong.

People need to chill, it's only early august still, yikes. :shakehead

Keep Sorokin Me Babe

Hit em with the four like
Jun 18, 2016
Thats from Feb, wouldnt really consider that relevant anymore.

Just correcting the claim that there have been zero reports on what he wants. Yes it's from Feb but he hasn't signed yet so it's still relevant, especially since he actually increased his production since then and thus raising his value in his eyes

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
I think, if he stays in the Peg, it's a 1yr X 5mil bridge deal.
Prove you can repeat last season and deserve term and money, kinda thing.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg

In this case I think the agent is doing what he can to get the most money out of Winnipeg. He's not harming Trouba. His agent isn't fooled at all about the numbers Trouba hasn't put up yet. If he plays a full season with Buff, he will probably double his point total. The two of them would probably be a top five or ten pairing in the league for possession and scoring. Weak for a top pair in their own end at best, but they'd stI'll be pretty dominant overall.

Trouba's agent is trying to avoid losing out on earnings the way McDonough, Josi, Klingberg, Karlsson etc. did. Jets are using these sweetheart deals as comparable and Trouba's agent knows those guys were all underpaid from half way through the first season they signed those deals.

Good for Pens and Leafs for getting their guys to sign those great deals. Trouba will probably want 6 years and end up signing that long as well. His agent just wants him to be paid like a decent top pairing defender he is during his UFA years.

If the Jets are even considering trading him behind closed doors, they should put him in the best position to succeed this season. Put him with Buff all year. If he still wants out to play his proper side and more PP time after that, he will have proven he can do it and they will get more in a trade than they will now.

The $7M number is BS, but I could see him coming in somewhere around $5.5M on 6-7 year deal. If they need to trade him, that's a very manageable cap number for a young top pairing guy.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Not really.

He's likely asking for the moon and doesn't exactly fit our needs or salary structure.

Acquiring him would probably hurt the team more than help it this year.

Could always move salary and picks for him . If he isn't signed after a month of the regular season and Davidson is playing like a top 4 D ( Got a hope people start watching his play to know how good he is ) I would offer Davidson , 2017 1st , Plus another left hand D prospect

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
In this case I think the agent is doing what he can to get the most money out of Winnipeg. He's not harming Trouba. His agent isn't fooled at all about the numbers Trouba hasn't put up yet. If he plays a full season with Buff, he will probably double his point total. The two of them would probably be a top five or ten pairing in the league for possession and scoring. Weak for a top pair in their own end at best, but they'd stI'll be pretty dominant overall.

Trouba's agent is trying to avoid losing out on earnings the way McDonough, Josi, Klingberg, Karlsson etc. did. Jets are using these sweetheart deals as comparable and Trouba's agent knows those guys were all underpaid from half way through the first season they signed those deals.

Good for Pens and Leafs for getting their guys to sign those great deals. Trouba will probably want 6 years and end up signing that long as well. His agent just wants him to be paid like a decent top pairing defender he is during his UFA years.

If the Jets are even considering trading him behind closed doors, they should put him in the best position to succeed this season. Put him with Buff all year. If he still wants out to play his proper side and more PP time after that, he will have proven he can do it and they will get more in a trade than they will now.

The $7M number is BS, but I could see him coming in somewhere around $5.5M on 6-7 year deal. If they need to trade him, that's a very manageable cap number for a young top pairing guy.

His agent is fighting a losing battle and costing his players. And he does so just so he can toot his own horn.

He needs to pick a different hill to die on than the RFA one. Players coming out of ELCs have no leverage.

Serious question, if you were Trouba and the Jets said:
We will offer you 2 years, $3.5 milion AAV or else you can sit out, we are NOT trading you, what would you do? Sit out and waste a year? Players who do so don't usually recover from it. Go to Europe? You cant, there is a transfer agreement which blocks that.

What are your options? The only thing you can do is say "I will remember this next contract when I have more options." But that doesn't help you today.

Last edited:

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
They all get traded if they won't sign, options or no options, anyway.

The Jets will sign him or trade him.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
His agent is fighting a losing battle and costing his players. And he does so just so he can toot his own horn.

He needs to pick a different hill to die on than the RFA one. Players coming out of ELCs have no leverage.

Serious question, if you were Trouba and the Jets said:
We will offer you 2 years, $3.5 milion AAV or else you can sit out, we are NOT trading you, what would you do? Sit out and waste a year? Players who do so don't usually recover from it. Go to Europe? You cant, there is a transfer agreement which blocks that.

What are your options? The only thing you can do is say "I will remember this next contract when I have more options." But that doesn't help you today.

Turris contract. Asked for $4 M. Signed after 2 month holdout at about $1.3M per on 2 year deal. Relationship destroyed. Trade only result.

Sure you can lowball and play hardball but be prepared for the cost.

If Jets start off poor their will be media pressure to do something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad