Player Discussion Trevor Zegras : Part III

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
In this context, he was asked about Zegras. I'm certain Cronin isn't happy about the penalties from any of these players.

The team certainly needs more accountability all over.
Yes, but he was asked about Zegras because Zegras is the only one who we can clearly point to as having received discipline for on-ice misconduct.

I agree that Zegras needs to mature. But is he really the only one who is having problems?

As someone who's been coaching for a long time, it just makes me cringe a bit to hear someone called out specifically in public without any context or any praise to balance it. I actually had a conversation with a couple of my players recently about how I need them to take accountability for their mistakes as an example of leadership, but I had that conversation privately. Were I asked about it publicly, I would have made sure to praise their hard work and skill while noting that there were some areas of responsibility that they're working on.

Again, I don't disagree with Cronin's points, but I don't necessarily like the way they came across.

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
Man, a lot of your guys biases are showing.

Cronin started off by praising Z "great kid, everyone likes him, makes great play.... but then sabotages that...", and then touched on why hes held to a certain standard. "Ya but did Zegras even ask for that?" Uh, doesnt matter if he asked for it or not. Sometimes, most of the time, leaders are thrust into their positions, not asking for them. Some of the best leaders are they guys that never wanted it and had to rise to the occasion/position. With the spotlight comes certain expectation, like it or not.

"But Zegras isnt the only one making mistakes!" And you also conveniently forget different guys like McT being demoted and minutes stripped. McT has had plenty of games where hes only received 11,12,13 minutes of ice time. Theres also the way in which someone carries themselves through the different mistakes. Zegras has a tendency to throw tantrums, which then brings extra eyes and scrutiny. Part of this is a franchise looking at who is representing them and how their actions translate to the populous, regardless if they are a leader or just a really good player.

Also, Cronin is specifically asked about 1 guy here, why would he throw any other player under the bus to make a point? Hes speaking specifically to why Z is held to a certain standard while skirting some of the question because he doesnt want to, or to not give him too much credit, doesnt think to mention how hes held others to specific standards as well.

Another point here, when you are dealing with so many different injuries and not having a full compliment of players, you cant strip everyone ice time or bench every guy who has done something you dont like. Sometimes you have to pick your battles. Do you think Killorn is going to respond the same way Zegras may? Is there a big enough of a "change" factor there? Killer is who he is at this point, hes not long for the league and hes not throwing fits or anything.

As a coach/manager you have to know who is underneath you. You have to know their experience and how they will respond to something. A lot of you guys are asking for a one-size fits all approach which is quite frankly, dumb. That tells me you either havent ever been in a manager/leadership role, or you were bad at it. Sometimes a guy might need to sit on the bench to cool off and learn something, sometimes it could be a healthy scratch, sometimes a simple meeting to discuss what happened, or bag skates, or taking a letter away, or, or, or.

This is a long way of saying, this season needs to be over. We're all frustrated at this point and nothing makes anyone happy.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Greg's comment isn't necessarily wrong i guess, but it just feels very blunt and detached, almost like if a fan or an NHL journalist said it. even an opposing team's commentators. to me, it sounds off coming from the guy's coach.

He was going on about him all summer on every podcast he was asked to go on basically putting out that exact same type rhetoric. nothing new about those comments.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Man, a lot of your guys biases are showing.

Cronin started off by praising Z "great kid, everyone likes him, makes great play.... but then sabotages that...", and then touched on why hes held to a certain standard. "Ya but did Zegras even ask for that?" Uh, doesnt matter if he asked for it or not. Sometimes, most of the time, leaders are thrust into their positions, not asking for them. Some of the best leaders are they guys that never wanted it and had to rise to the occasion/position. With the spotlight comes certain expectation, like it or not.

"But Zegras isnt the only one making mistakes!" And you also conveniently forget different guys like McT being demoted and minutes stripped. McT has had plenty of games where hes only received 11,12,13 minutes of ice time. Theres also the way in which someone carries themselves through the different mistakes. Zegras has a tendency to throw tantrums, which then brings extra eyes and scrutiny. Part of this is a franchise looking at who is representing them and how their actions translate to the populous, regardless if they are a leader or just a really good player.

Also, Cronin is specifically asked about 1 guy here, why would he throw any other player under the bus to make a point? Hes speaking specifically to why Z is held to a certain standard while skirting some of the question because he doesnt want to, or to not give him too much credit, doesnt think to mention how hes held others to specific standards as well.

Another point here, when you are dealing with so many different injuries and not having a full compliment of players, you cant strip everyone ice time or bench every guy who has done something you dont like. Sometimes you have to pick your battles. Do you think Killorn is going to respond the same way Zegras may? Is there a big enough of a "change" factor there? Killer is who he is at this point, hes not long for the league and hes not throwing fits or anything.

As a coach/manager you have to know who is underneath you. You have to know their experience and how they will respond to something. A lot of you guys are asking for a one-size fits all approach which is quite frankly, dumb. That tells me you either havent ever been in a manager/leadership role, or you were bad at it. Sometimes a guy might need to sit on the bench to cool off and learn something, sometimes it could be a healthy scratch, sometimes a simple meeting to discuss what happened, or bag skates, or taking a letter away, or, or, or.

This is a long way of saying, this season needs to be over. We're all frustrated at this point and nothing makes anyone happy.
Yeah the amount of narratives that have been pushed on this board lately that just reek of nothing more than people wanting to believe or having convinced themselves of something has made this place a pretty depressing read

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
I see this as because of his personality, Zegras is a leader on the team, whether he wants to be or not. Players are going to look up to him so he needs to start acting more like a leader on the ice. I believe that Cronin knows Z can be pushed in a different way than other players.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I read it two ways. 1) if you’re going to play hockey very loose and creative, you need to be extra hardworking and focused in other areas otherwise you will set a bad example for the team, and 2) if you have a spotlight on you off the ice then you are going to be held to a higher standard because more people are watching a representative of the Ducks.

Reactions: LuGBuG

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
Cronin’s rhetoric (particularly when he tries to add on useless fluff when expounding on points) can get jumbled, but it makes me wonder if Z is held to a higher standard because he is legitimately in the captaincy race at this point. He’s mouthy and immature at times sure, but the coaching staff does seem to like him and the team seems to follow his swagger and go how he goes most nights

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
That's good to hear on Zegras in the WC.

Edit: Bah, I had a joke here, but flubbed it, much like an Isac Lundestrom power play shot attempt.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
man, where were they last year :laugh: i went to like 7-8 games. Unfortunately missed out going with @GermanRocket7 when i got sick a bit, but oh well.

Is this one in Czechia? Could see Gudas and Dostal being there as well. Regenda from neighboring Slovakia as well

GermanRocket7

Fire Newell Brown yesteryear!
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
Düsseldorf
man, where were they last year :laugh: i went to like 7-8 games. Unfortunately missed out going with @GermanRocket7 when i got sick a bit, but oh well.

Is this one in Czechia? Could see Gudas and Dostal being there as well. Regenda from neighboring Slovakia as well
Yup, Prague and Ostrava this year. Will be in Prague for the first weekend with my family again, going to see Bedard against Great Britain.

Reactions: Kalv

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
It’s funny because as all that stupid trade talk and trashing him as a player happens while he is hurt, you do start to question it yourself at times.

Then he comes back and you watch and your like oh yeah he’s definitely the best player on the team.

I guarantee he torches this WC and shuts up a lot of people.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad