Trevor Timmins Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
ready to move on. Don't mind the guy but I'm tired of these low-risk low-reward drafts. Change the whole staff as far as I'm concerned.

Uncle Gary

Apr 12, 2014
Picks weren't bad but I also agree we need a change. Take some guys with real talent rather than these players destined for the 3rd line.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Picks weren't bad but I also agree we need a change. Take some guys with real talent rather than these players destined for the 3rd line.

Agree.

Sounds like our latest 1st rounder is one of those 3rd line C, safe, plays the right way player.

If thats all that is there in the 1st round then convince your GM to move down and get some extra later picks and double up on trying to hit home runs in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Another draft where people are saying TT is doing the right things (B grades all most all around in the grade the draft thread). Can't wait in a few years for Sly to get blamed for all the busts from this draft.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Translation for non-Francophones: Timmins is aware of the criticism that Habs don't select much from the Q. He said they'll invite undrafted ones to their camp.

Translation: He couldn't believe that Josh Brook was available when they selected 56th. Had to jump on that player.

Translation: Timmins was hoping to select Zachary Lauzon in the 2nd round with either his 56th or 58th picks and was surprised he was selected 51st. He believed he'd fall to the Habs' turn.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I feel like these last 2 drafts have some good promise. I feel like the drafting under MB has generally improved but it's still too early to tell.

Rise from the Ashes

Price defies corsi
Sep 13, 2005
Pointe-Claire, QC
It appears as if all teams had very different draft rankings this year. People say it was a bad draft, but I just think that the players to choose from were not as "clear cut" as past years. So, for example, Ikonen was taken in the late second round but some may have valued him as a top 20 player. The fact that Timmins said they "never got off their first page" reinforces this.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
perhaps a new trend,

2017 - Poehling (safe)
2016 - Sergachev (risk)
2015 - Juulsen (safe)
2014 - Scherbak (risk)
2013 - McCarron (safe in that at 6'6 a decent skater he's a safe bet to play on the 4th line at some point)
2012 - Galchenyuk (risk, since he injured for his draft year)

So 2018 will be a skilled risky player!

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
perhaps a new trend,

2017 - Poehling (safe)
2016 - Sergachev (risk)
2015 - Juulsen (safe)
2014 - Scherbak (risk)
2013 - McCarron (safe in that at 6'6 a decent skater he's a safe bet to play on the 4th line at some point)

yeah I'm not buying this whole idea that we're too safe in our drafting. That's baloney masquerading as fact somehow. Poehling seems like a McCarron type pick where it's simultaneously safe but also could have hidden upside. Really like those picks. I think it's safe to say Poehling has more upside though.

I've liked just about all of our 1st round picks under MB. We''ll see how they develop.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I feel like these last 2 drafts have some good promise. I feel like the drafting under MB has generally improved but it's still too early to tell.

I feel the same way. Despite the lack of picks last year in Round 2, Habs did real well with Bitten and Mete.

And I also agree that drafting under Bergevin has been solid. Despite him entering his 6th season as Montreal GM, most of his picks are in the early stages of their pro careers or are still in Junior/College.

It appears as if all teams had very different draft rankings this year. People say it was a bad draft, but I just think that the players to choose from were not as "clear cut" as past years. So, for example, Ikonen was taken in the late second round but some may have valued him as a top 20 player. The fact that Timmins said they "never got off their first page" reinforces this.

It was said by quite a few people that aside from the very top of the draft, the second half of the 1st and the entire 2nd round can vary from team to team.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
perhaps a new trend,

2017 - Poehling (safe)
2016 - Sergachev (risk)
2015 - Juulsen (safe)
2014 - Scherbak (risk)

Not sure how Sergachev was a risky pick but agree on the others.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
I was listening to Timmins comments after the draft and it seemed clear he's still calling the shots.

The Poehling and Walford picks especially sounded like his.

Was amazing how many picks he said 'fell under the radar'.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

It's not the first draft he has said that. In different words of course.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Not sure how not getting out of his first page is so impressive. I had 4 of his players in one HF post....;)

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
The closer we are to Bergevin's firing, the more scared I am he is replaced by Timmins.

I don't hate him, but fresh eyes would be welcomed.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Decent AHL'r = Never good enough for NHL play.

See Ellis, Dietz, Thrower... Same kind.

Not everyone drafted will make the NHL. The AHL team should also be a focus. Filling it with good to great AHL players (but not good enough for NHL) increases the farm team's chances of success and it helps your prospects who do have NHL futures grow in a winning environment.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Decent AHL'r = Never good enough for NHL play.

See Ellis, Dietz, Thrower... Same kind.

Didier was a 97th overall pick, so not much to expect from him. But he's like Tinordi in that he would have been better served if he had been born 5-10 years sooner as he's big and physical but has zero offense and puck moving abilities which in today's NHL is going to make it that much harder to make the NHL. I always liked Didier though and still think he could make the NHL as he can skate, he's big and good in his own end.

Thrower is the only real head shaker there though, since he was a 51st overall pick. Injuries really impacted him but his game was more fighting/hitting then offense and that's not idea in today's game. Ellis was 117th overall and Dietz 138th, so to even appear in an NHL game is a positive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad