Travis Dermott ..... who is this masked man ?

IamruKusleaf

Mar 3, 2018
Maple Leaf Gardens
Travis Dermott......
Anybody know anything about our steadiest D-Man ?
Who ?
What ?
Where ?
When ?
Why?
Back story , present and where do you see his career path ?

ruKus calls it like I sees it!!!
Goooo F€£¥in LEAFS Goooooo!!!

Last edited:

Leafs1993

Jan 25, 2016
Ottawa, ON

3.png
TRAVIS DERMOTT
pronounce_large.png

Last team: Toronto Marlies - 2018

[TBODY] [/TBODY]
BIRTHYEAR1996-12-22BIRTHPLACENewmarket, ON, CAN
AGE21NATIONCanada
POSITIONDSHOOTSL
HEIGHT180 cm / 5'11"WEIGHT89 kg / 196 lbs
YOUTH TEAMYork Simcoe MHACONTRACT19/20
NHL DRAFT2015 round 2 #34 overall by Toronto Maple Leafs
CAP HIT$863,333 powered by
SOCIAL
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

An intelligent, mobile defenseman that capitalizes on offensive chances when they arise and is quick to recognize his post and backcheck hard. Doesn't force plays or take a lot of chances; rather, he plays it simply, letting the game come to him. Decent physical game, but not overly physical as he can lose some size matchups. All-in-all, a two-way defenseman that makes smart, high-percentage decisions in all three zones. (Curtis Joe, EP 2015)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: IamruKusleaf

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
It still might be early to say this about him however I can see some teams regretting not selecting Dermott as a late 1st round pick in 2015. I remember the talk was the Leafs got a steal selecting him at 34th overall in the 2nd round.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
If you've watched the Marlies you would have seen this coming.
For me going back to his ohl days you could see he was special. Tuned in to watch mcdavid but left thinking, "who the heck was that guy"? The we drafted him!!!

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
He's our best d-man right now. Great gap control, great stick. His reads evading pressure and navigating the neutral zone are the best on the team right now. He has that poise to take an extra second or two when needed, or put the foot on the gas when he doesn't have anytime to work with.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Little known fact, he was always known as Der Mott(like Motts Clamato) coming up in the GTH and played with McDavid and Sam Bennett on the York Simcoe Express.

Reactions: cookie

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Mr. Consistency. What we see is how he has always played. Solid. Closes gaps defensively, great skater and mobile both ways. He isn't an elite offensive D man, but with more ice time and PP time he could be a 30-40 point guy.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
He's outstanding defensively, has some great offensive instincts, and passes the puck better than anyone not named Gardiner. Top pairing upside. He does everything so well.

ObscureAlien

May 1, 2016
It is September or October of 2014 and I check the Knights schedule to see when they are playing the Otters. I buy tickets for a November game. McDavid gets injured shortly before this game but I still go to watch Strome and Marner. Marner played a good game and got a goal. Strome was mostly invisible except for on the PP.

But the one kid who I had never heard of before who caught my eye was Dermott. He moved the puck up the ice quickly, separated his opponent from the puck, was positionally sound, and seemed to make good decisions on both sides of the puck. Later in the season, when the Knights were playing Erie in the playoffs, I went to a game again and this time Dermott played great again. Erie dominated and Dermott played an important role, scoring the 1st goal of the game on dart from the point to get the ball rolling. His defensive game was just as strong and he seemed extremely confident in the offensive zone with the puck on his stick.

I won't say I knew he was gonna be an NHL'er after these two games, but when the Leafs picked him in the 2nd I never complained about the pick to anybody. Since then he has just continued to improve and I, like all of you, just hope he keeps getting better.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Mr. Consistency. What we see is how he has always played. Solid. Closes gaps defensively, great skater and mobile both ways. He isn't an elite offensive D man, but with more ice time and PP time he could be a 30-40 point guy.

He is already pacing as a 30 pt defensemen which is extremely impressive for a 21 year old defensemen.

We really do have a gem on our hands.

mulefarm

Oct 9, 2011
Way ahead of Duncan Keith at his age ! Very likely in the mix for a Norris in the next few years. Will be out #1 next year!

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Might be an unpopular opinion but, i’d be way more okay with trading Liljegren than Dermott if we were forced to part with one. Not that we will, but I value Travis a ton is what i’m saying.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Future D corps

Dermott-Liljegren
Reilly-?
Borgman-Zaitsev
Dermott wont be better than rielly most likely. Put rielly top pair and dermott 2nd pair. Dermott can end up a good number 2 dman who can anchor our 2nd pair. I would have liljegren top pair with rielly. Zaitsev 2nd pair if he bounces back(he will imo) and worst case we draft and develope a 2nd pairing rhd.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
Might be an unpopular opinion but, i’d be way more okay with trading Liljegren than Dermott if we were forced to part with one. Not that we will, but I value Travis a ton is what i’m saying.

I don't even think that would be that unpopular of an opinion, I'd agree with it.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Dermott wont be better than rielly most likely. Put rielly top pair and dermott 2nd pair. Dermott can end up a good number 2 dman who can anchor our 2nd pair. I would have liljegren top pair with rielly. Zaitsev 2nd pair if he bounces back(he will imo) and worst case we draft and develope a 2nd pairing rhd.

My thinking was more that a Reilly-Liljegren pairing might not complement each other very well but we know Dermott does with Liljegren. I think you need a more defensive player with Reilly-liljegren, they're just too similar. We could spread out the talent just as we do with forwards. Zaitsev third pair with Borgman could be a solid and punishing group as I expect him to bounce back well next season. I'm hoping rasanen can develop well so we can sot him in there.

Placid Perspicuity

Apr 19, 2016
Drafting a guy like Dermott in the second round is a reminder that that we could keep filling our D-Corps with solid players even without a lottery pick. Fans of other teams were quick to say that we needed to trade Nylander or Marner to "fix" our defense just don't show their lack of understanding of different ways good players can be obtained.

Reactions: Leafidelity

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad