Travis Dermott ..... who is this masked man ?

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Fans of other teams were quick to say that we needed to trade Nylander or Marner to "fix" our defense just don't show their lack of understanding of different ways good players can be obtained.

Or the team they follow blew their brains out trying to fix their defense and think its the only way to do it

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
From Scott Wheeler...

Among the 80 under-24 defencemen who’ve regularly played a game in the NHL this season, Dermott’s 0.36 points per game (10 in 28) ranks 21st – this, without playing on the power play like nearly all of the defencemen ahead of him.

Reactions: saltming

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
My thinking was more that a Reilly-Liljegren pairing might not complement each other very well but we know Dermott does with Liljegren. I think you need a more defensive player with Reilly-liljegren, they're just too similar. We could spread out the talent just as we do with forwards. Zaitsev third pair with Borgman could be a solid and punishing group as I expect him to bounce back well next season. I'm hoping rasanen can develop well so we can sot him in there.

Rielly, Dermott and Liljegren should be on 3 different pairings IMO. Strong transition game through all 3 pairs would be great.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Rielly, Dermott and Liljegren should be on 3 different pairings IMO. Strong transition game through all 3 pairs would be great.
Along that line of thinking since Babcock likes to have a right handed and left defenseman on each pairing it makes sense that Rielly, Dermott and Liljegren would be on different pairings.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Along that line of thinking since Babcock likes to have a right handed and left defenseman on each pairing it makes sense that Rielly, Dermott and Liljegren would be on different pairings.
Liljegren is a RHD. He looked really good with Dermott earlier in the season when Dermott was with the Marlies.

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver

3.png
TRAVIS DERMOTT
pronounce_large.png

Last team: Toronto Marlies - 2018

[TBODY] [/TBODY]
BIRTHYEAR1996-12-22BIRTHPLACENewmarket, ON, CAN
AGE21NATIONCanada
POSITIONDSHOOTSL
HEIGHT180 cm / 5'11"WEIGHT89 kg / 196 lbs
YOUTH TEAMYork Simcoe MHACONTRACT19/20
NHL DRAFT2015 round 2 #34 overall by Toronto Maple Leafs
CAP HIT$863,333 powered by
SOCIAL
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

An intelligent, mobile defenseman that capitalizes on offensive chances when they arise and is quick to recognize his post and backcheck hard. Doesn't force plays or take a lot of chances; rather, he plays it simply, letting the game come to him. Decent physical game, but not overly physical as he can lose some size matchups. All-in-all, a two-way defenseman that makes smart, high-percentage decisions in all three zones. (Curtis Joe, EP 2015)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
I would say he’s pretty physical...not as much as Bergman but still physical. i would think a lot of his pim in his junior days are attributed to physical plays. I’m glad he has not accumulated more pims in the nhl, but I think the reason he has not is because the nhl has competition that does not dive as much and the players do not easily fall after a clean hit or fewer fights. Also he may be short, but he is thick. I dislike how hockey culture associates size with height rather than weight. Anyone who’s ever wrestled knows that weight is more important than height with regards to “size.”

Reactions: Leafs1993

ITM

As Long As It Takes
Jan 26, 2012
Now I don’t know how significant this is, but Dermott in his major junior career, with the Marlies and now the Leafs, has never <knocks on wood> been in the minus in +/- and at that, always on the better part of the plus side.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
From Scott Wheeler...

Among the 80 under-24 defencemen who’ve regularly played a game in the NHL this season, Dermott’s 0.36 points per game (10 in 28) ranks 21st – this, without playing on the power play like nearly all of the defencemen ahead of him.
Saw a stat that was like out of dmen with 400+ min he has the lowest GA/60

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I do think he’s our steadiest, smartest dman. His gap control is terrific, basically always makes the right choice about when to pressure and when to back off. Makes very few mistakes, even when something doesn’t work out he almost always recovers very quickly, he’s only been legit burned a few times all season.

Pretty nice offensive skill set too! Great skater and puck mover, can handle the puck and pass very well, pretty decent shot too. He’s more physical than you’d expect for his size too, he’s pretty strong/solid.

I think his floor is a good 2nd pairing dman, and he’s absolutely got top pairing potential. He’s made a big difference to our defence since he got called up, miles ahead of Borgman (who is a perfectly serviceable bottom pairing guy). Can see Liljegren being a great long term partner for him too! They looked good together when partnered on the Marlies.

Yamazaki

Feb 9, 2018
I’m not saying he is him but for those of you remember leetch on the leafs I see a lot of that in Dermott with the evasiveness and ability to skate out of trouble.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Now I don’t know how significant this is, but Dermott in his major junior career, with the Marlies and now the Leafs, has never <knocks on wood> been in the minus in +/- and at that, always on the better part of the plus side.
Part of that has to do with playing on good teams. Of course, he's a big reason why the teams he plays in are good in the first place... So that shouldn't be held against him. At first I didn't think he'd be this capable offensively when he was drafted--i expected that a lot of his points were gifts from Strome and McDavid. Then again I had high hopes for Matt Finn too...

ashs

Oct 27, 2007
I use to like Stuart Percy also and he found he way on the out. Not gonna get too high

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Very few mistakes in his game! We will be praising Hunter years from now for drafting this kid.

What a pick Hunter made! Thank you Mr Hunter.

The Caveman

We are all the goat
Jan 14, 2007
Montreal, PQ
If he continues to develop like he has done this year, he will make Gardiner a juicy trade chip next year.

LD
Morgan
Dermott
Borgman/Rosen

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
I use to like Stuart Percy also and he found he way on the out. Not gonna get too high
I am not sure what Stuart Percy and Travis Dermott have in common. Percy was never half the player Dermott is. Percy got some points his first few games, but never showed the poise Dermott does, the skating, or the ability on the defensive side of the puck.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Might be an unpopular opinion but, i’d be way more okay with trading Liljegren than Dermott if we were forced to part with one. Not that we will, but I value Travis a ton is what i’m saying.

I don't even think that would be that unpopular of an opinion, I'd agree with it.

We should probably wait until Liljegren is 21 before we trade away our best RHD prospect

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Werenski and Provorov are the only 2015 defenseman I can say are clearly above Dermott at this point. he's in the Chabot/Hanifin tier
Chabot is also not very good defensively. Dermott could easily be the third best d man from this draft and Werenski, Provorov, and Dermott might be the only ones that become top pairing guys.

Reactions: AppsSyl

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I know what you're saying but Stu never had "it". He had potential but he skating was always a res flag.
Dermott has "it" always did and his skating is elite.
Get high on Dermott. Enjoy his vapor trail as he burns down the ice!!!
:biglaugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad