Prospect Info: Travis Dermott, quietly leading all defenseman

Face Of Bear

Jul 30, 2012
I love hunter's style of scouting/drafting. Skill above everything. However, there will always be picks that don't work out in a high risk-high reward drafting model.
For me, Bracco has too many flaws to be drafted as high as he was. I'm not a fan of the player, and I think that slot could have been better served on a player that is less of a project. Usually when hunter goes with an undersized prospect, it's for superior skating. That's not the case here.

There's picks that dont work out in every drafting model.

Bracco was projected to go in the 1st round and we got him at 61 overall. Who could we have got there that objectively has a higher chance of panning out?

There's no rush for Bracco. He is probably a 4-5 year prospect who will complete junior and a few years in the AHL before getting a sniff at the NHL. The Leafs and Hunter selected him because a) He has a ton of skill, and b) they obviously think they can work on his flaws and round out his game in that time period.

When drafting that late there is what, a 5-10% chance of getting an NHLer? If that 5-10% pans out I'd rather it be on a guy with a ceiling like Bracco then a role player who happened to be bigger at the draft

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
Dermott is looking good so far. I agree with Stephen that Hunter probably got exactly the player he was targeting in Dermott, and all the extra picks were gravy.

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Dermott's a keeper, for sure...! I really like what I have saw of him..
and even his play last summer in his 1st AHL Rookie tournament was commendable..

Hope to get a new one done for him soon..,
but here's my 1st one for him.., for now..

The T-Train: Travis Dermott Montage - TML 2015-16

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Bracco's a calculated risk. Sometimes they surprise like a Sebastian Aho, sometimes they don't.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Bracco's a calculated risk. Sometimes they surprise like a Sebastian Aho, sometimes they don't.

From what I've seen of him so far, it looks like Hunter swang and missed with that pick.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010

Agree. It takes years to find out. Interesting that we as fans want the high-reward picks once they've worked out, but we skewer the management team for every high risk miss, or even a down season on a developing prospect.

WHLfollower

Sep 16, 2013
I'm quite excited seeing doing so well, hopefully it translate into NHL. You should read some socail media comments on him being unsized = bust

Unhealthy Scratch

Auston 4:16
Mar 15, 2016
From what I've seen of him so far, it looks like Hunter swang and missed with that pick.
I don't see much NHL upside based on my limited viewings either, but I still prefer swinging on high-risk, high-reward picks that pan out 10% of the time over bunting on low-risk, low-reward picks that pan out 50% of the time. I love Freddy the Goat and all but you can get a big fourth line center that wins faceoffs for $1M every summer.

Last edited:

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
I find it absolutely insane some people have written off Bracco already. I think the move from College > OHL rubbed a few fans up the wrong way and that's played a part.

He did very well at Kitchener and I think he'll be there again next year and be a major player there.

Mad Brills*

korostolev I've written off. I'd be shocked if he signs an ELC with the leafs.

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
korostolev I've written off. I'd be shocked if he signs an ELC with the leafs.

I don't know, I mean, what do you think the Leafs were expecting? He had an injury through the season, came back and did pretty well. I don't know what his personal plans are, but I suspect the Leafs brass didn't give him this season only to earn a spot.

Don't get me wrong, he very possibly may never get a deal, but I think after 1 season, it's harsh to say he's been written off.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
In a vacuum no problem with the Bracco+Dzierkals result from the trade back, but in hind sight wish that one of those picks was Saarela.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Fair enough.

I saw pure skill that can't be taught.

I doubt he ever becomes a two way force - but I see clear top six offensive potential.

I had never seen him until this year, perhaps my expectations were too high.

TheJet11

Nov 8, 2013
Bracco is far from a calculated risk. He's got great edge control, and unbelievable passing/vision, but needs to find his way into the dirty areas a LOT more. He spent a lot of time floating this season, and will need to commit to the defensive side of the puck in order to make a name for himself at the next level.

He's very shifty and slight, but adding some size and strength will be a must. He got pushed around a fair bit in the OHL, so one can only imagine how that would translate to the NHL.

Still love the pick considering we nabbed him in the second round, but he'll need another year in Kitchener, a full season or two in the AHL, and then might work his way into the conversation for some sheltered minutes by 2019.

Go4soda

Dec 15, 2015
Agree. It takes years to find out. Interesting that we as fans want the high-reward picks once they've worked out, but we skewer the management team for every high risk miss, or even a down season on a developing prospect.

Well said.
Although I would not have taken JB in that slot, I guess he does represent the 'type' of player you swing at if your looking for a possible steal. I'm all for hunter's style of high risk high reward drafting, I just dont dig bracco in particular. Either way, he's a leaf pick now.
And I'm pulling for him.

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
Isn't this thread about dermott? Lol but I'm jw has dermott been getting matched against marner this series?

LeafErikson

Schwifty 24/7
Jun 23, 2004
Victoria B.C.
Dermott and Nielsen should be Marlies next year. It'll be good to get them into the AHL and working at their pro games a little bit earlier than some of the other 2016 picks can.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
In a vacuum no problem with the Bracco+Dzierkals result from the trade back, but in hind sight wish that one of those picks was Saarela.

In a more perfect world, I wish we could have had both Aho and Dermott.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad