Travis Dermott Holding His Own Against The League's Best Young D

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I was disappointed when we did not draft Konecny but after seeing Dermott I have put the Konecny/Dermott debate to bed. Flyers were deep with D prospects and we needed to stock our D shelf. It is a win for both teams.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Too soon. One of his biggest fans, but the difference between 3rd pairing and 1st pairing comp is gigantic.
Yup and no need to rush him. Let him grow organically into it.
You can see him figuring out the game still. With his smarts and work ethic I would be a little surprised if he has a sophomore slump

Reactions: Morgs

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Dermott hasn't had a chance to play much on special teams so far so we can only really look at his even strength play.

I won't bother to compare him with guys like McAvoy, Provorov, and Werenski, who all face top competition on top pairings.

Legend:

Letter Grade qoc = Quality of Competition measured by opponents' time on ice, Converted into Letter Grades for simplicity
p60 = points per 60 minutes
CF% = Corsi For Percentage (i.e. shot attempts for percentage)
xGF% = Expected Goals For Percentage (i.e. shot attempt percentage adjusted for shot quality) - this stat is already adjusted for zone deployment and game score
In Brackets = CF% and xGF% relative to team

Chychrun (19): 18:21 (B- qoc), 0.78p60, 46.1cf% (-3.8rel), 45.9xgf% (-0.8rel)
Sergachev (19): 13:40 (C+ qoc), 1.25p60, 52.8cf% (+0.8rel), 54.0xgf% (+1.8rel)
Chabot (20): 14:32 (C+ qoc), 1.03p60, 46.9cf% (+2.0rel), 46.0xgf% (+0.9rel)
Hanifin (20): 16:55 (C qoc), 1.20p60, 55.8cf% (+3.5rel), 56.8xgf% (+4.1rel)
Dermott (21): 15:53 (C- qoc), 1.27p60, 53.5cf% (+4.2rel), 51.9xgf% (+3.0rel)

Chychrun is the toughest one to judge here because he's being forced into a bigger role on an awful team while being the youngest on this list. His numbers are worse than the others but I don't think it's a fair comp.

But the other 4 seem to me to be very comparable across all those numbers. Note that Dermott is actually only about a month older than Chabot and Hanifin.

Reactions: dav and AppsSyl

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I was disappointed when we did not draft Konecny but after seeing Dermott I have put the Konecny/Dermott debate to bed. Flyers were deep with D prospects and we needed to stock our D shelf. It is a win for both teams.
Since Dermott has been called up I said it's the best of both worlds getting him and Marner in the same draft.

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
I bumped the Gauthier thread yesterday so I feel like I should bump this one as well.

Dermotts results last year were insane:

sixfold-dermotr96-1618.png

haZRuaR.png

He was sheltered last year but he was also playing all of his shifts with Polak which impacts results more than competetion. I honestly think he could blossom into a first pairing guy playing with Rielly or Gardiner

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
he's our 3rd best defenseman, and might compete with Gardiner for 2nd if he gets more of an opportunity. the leafs are much better with him back there

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
He is doing well, I expect Jake will be resigned (no choice) and doubt Hainsey will be. lots of opportunity next season for Dermott.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
expect Jake will be resigned
Hope not. Hopefully let go or traded for a similar RHD. Dermott can take the 2 LD spot and someone is brought in to replace hainsey

Rielly - Tyler Myers
Dermott - zaitsev
Rosen/Borgman - ozhiganov
Liljeren

Would be the best defense we've had in years

Reactions: Maple Leafs

All_blueandwhite

Apr 15, 2007
Hope not. Hopefully let go or traded for a similar RHD. Dermott can take the 2 LD spot and someone is brought in to replace hainsey

Rielly - Tyler Myers
Dermott - zaitsev
Rosen/Borgman - ozhiganov
Liljeren

Would be the best defense we've had in years

In what world does replacing Gardiner with an inferior defensemen make that "the best defense we've had in years" ?

Reactions: Not My Tempo

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
In what world does replacing Gardiner with an inferior defensemen make that "the best defense we've had in years" ?
While Gardiner is debatablly superior, improvements to our u25 defensemen far exceeds any skill difference between the two players, thus giving us our best defense in years

Additionally, while gards might be slightly better offensively, Myers is probably be slightly better defensively and has a bit of snarl to him.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
While Gardiner is debatablly superior, improvements to our u25 defensemen far exceeds any skill difference between the two players, thus giving us our best defense in years

Additionally, while gards might be slightly better offensively, Myers is probably be slightly better defensively and has a bit of snarl to him.

There's not a lot of snarl to Myers.

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
Tyler Myers will be 29 and has been injury prone his entire career. Giving him a big contract will be a mistake.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Said it prior to the pre-season and will say it again: Dermott with Rielly, sliding Rielly over to the R side. It may be a rough transition, perhaps more than Dermott can handle at present, but I view it as an option we should explore. The two would/should be our best transition pairing, their abilities to make passes to each other to escape pressure and transitioning would far exceed what we see now. Rielly wouldn't be covering the skating weaknesses of Hainsey and H could slide back to the L side on 3rd pairing to limit his exposure to high pressure situations. It might be overly optimistic at this point, but I'm curious and think it's worth the risk.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00