Travis Dermott Holding His Own Against The League's Best Young D

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Travis Dermott has gotten off to an excellent start to his NHL career, and is quickly emerging as one of the top young D to be taken in the last few drafts. He is stacking up pretty well so far against his peers. His offensive output has also been quite good considering he sees no PP time and his TOI/GP is significantly lower than some of the other top young D that have a higher PPG on the table below.
*You have to slide the scroll bar to see the rest of the table.

NameGPGAPTS5V5
PTS
5V5
PTS%
PPG5V5 CF%5V5 FF%5V5 SCF%5V5 HDCF%5V5 PDO5V5 OZF%+/-TOI/GP
Dermott231788100.000.3551.7150.8154.1751.771.03951.09+916:33
Chabot43511161168.750.3748.9147.0148.6249.250.99663.79-516:24
Provorov641118291758.620.4549.5049.6848.5549.621.01446.60+1124:17
Werenski601116271555.560.4555.9057.3052.9253.860.99460.33+223:14
Hanifin64819271970.370.4256.3855.2857.7857.040.96963.14-1518:43
McAvoy58725322268.750.5555.7355.5356.7053.061.03055.06+2622:29
Sergachyov63823311651.610.4953.5152.9653.6452.631.02270.10+915:35
Chychrun332911763.640.3346.3645.8946.1746.090.99653.12-620:29
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
He's looked great. Could stand to make some safer plays in front of his net from time to time, but he's been really poised, and has had solid production. He'll iron out those little things in time.

His 0.35PPG is 6th in the League among Defensemen without any Powerplay Points, and his EV TOI/G is lower than all 5 of the players above him (by upwards of 3 minutes per game). Not too shabby.

Last edited:

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
Im so happy with Dermott, his edge work is insane good, he thinks the game fast, and has that 1 pass that gets the puck out of the zone! looks like a keeper for sure!, happy we got him and Bracco instead of connectaknee lol

Last edited:

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
I have such faith in Dermott's game that I think he's going to settle in as the team's best defender after Rielly, as long as Babcock & Co don't play the yo-yo game with him.
Said this in the new year before his call-up and honestly, I don't think it's out of the question that he's the team's best defender including Rielly after a couple of years. Also, no slight to Liljegren but Dermott is easily the best young defender in the system right now and I would 100% take him over Lilly gun to my head.

This kid is just so steady in every aspect; there isn't a single visible weakness in his game. Some of the most uniquely good edge work in the league and a rare level of IQ that is going to make him an impact player for a long time. Sky is the limit.

Reactions: ULF_55

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I made this post September 28th, 2017:

I would do this:

Gardiner - Zaitsev
Rielly - Dermott
Rosen - Hainsey
Carrick

AHL: Borgman - Liljegren

I think Dermott has been our best defender this pre-season other than Gardiner. He's already at a top 4 NHL level IMO and should play with Gardiner, Rielly, Zaitsev.

I've been very happy with how Rosen, Borgman, and Carrick have played. I would probably give the edge to Rosen and it would be good to put him in the lineup for a number of smaller reasons. However, I think that Carrick should certainly be rotated into the lineup. It's easy to rotate Carrick in because Dermott could always move over to the left if he filled in for Rosen, Rielly, or Gardiner.

Dermott was a bit less noticeable last game, but he still made some amazing passes. He would probably be our best passing defender if he made the team. The goal against on the PP wasn't his fault. Marincin passed it right through his skates. Horrible pass by Marincin and our other defenders wouldn't do that to him.

I think it would be a travesty if Dermott didn't make the team. I don't see Carrick as a lock at this point. I still have Carrick behind Dermott and Rosen, and maybe just ahead of Borgman. But Rosen, Borgman, and Carrick I think are all VERY close. Dermott is clearly a level better though.

And it's not about what's fair or whatever. Dermott would simply make our defense significantly better. He would be a much better partner for Rielly than Hainsey. And then we can have Rosen and Hainsey as a bottom pairing who can go on the PK.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
I prefer Dermott to Konecny. At least it's looking that way.
I've repeatedly said here, that leafs fans would have been offering Konecny for a dman like Dermott in a trade. The last thing we needed was another (small) winger. We needed to draft a top 4 dman, and sure the Bracco and Dzerkels pick hasn't worked out, but I like the logic. If it was 2011, we would have walked away with the likes of Rakell, Saad, Gibson, etc

Reactions: DatSnipeMatthews

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
I've repeatedly said here, that leafs fans would have been offering Konecny for a dman like Dermott in a trade. The last thing we needed was another (small) winger. We needed to draft a top 4 dman, and sure the Bracco and Dzerkels pick hasn't worked out, but I like the logic. If it was 2011, we would have walked away with the likes of Rakell, Saad, Gibson, etc
I think it's too early to write off Bracco. He's been way better than I expected with Marlies.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
What makes you say the Bracco pick hasnt worked out? Maybe you haven't paid attention but Bracco's been progressing really well in the AHL. He has been a pleasent surprise there. He wasnt expected to do this well soo early. Doesnt have a huge role but has been really good.

dzombs

Jul 8, 2016
Great pick by hunter, a ton of people were not thrilled when he picked him. Love hunter!

Reactions: Cotton

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011

I would do this:

Gardiner - Zaitsev
Rielly - Dermott
Rosen - Hainsey
Carrick

I think Dermott has been our best defender this pre-season other than Gardiner. He's already at a top 4 NHL level IMO and should play with Gardiner, Rielly, Zaitsev.

I've been very happy with how Rosen, Borgman, and Carrick have played. I would probably give the edge to Rosen and it would be good to put him in the lineup for a number of smaller reasons. However, I think that Carrick should certainly be rotated into the lineup. It's easy to rotate Carrick in because Dermott could always move over to the left if he filled in for Rosen, Rielly, or Gardiner.

Dermott was a bit less noticeable last game, but he still made some amazing passes. He would probably be our best passing defender if he made the team. The goal against on the PP wasn't his fault. Marincin passed it right through his skates. Horrible pass by Marincin and our other defenders wouldn't do that to him.

I think it would be a travesty if Dermott didn't make the team. I don't see Carrick as a lock at this point. I still have Carrick behind Dermott and Rosen, and maybe just ahead of Borgman. But Rosen, Borgman, and Carrick I think are all VERY close. Dermott is clearly a level better though.

And it's not about what's fair or whatever. Dermott would simply make our defense significantly better. He would be a much better partner for Rielly than Hainsey. And then we can have Rosen and Hainsey as a bottom pairing who can go on the PK.

Well he didn’t make the team and it wasn’t a travesty

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
@The CyNick I seem to remember you throwing around a lot of Percy and Finn comparisons several months ago.

You have a lot of faith in Babcock and Co., it's OK to put a little faith in Hunter and our player development crew.

Guys like JVR and Bozak are going to move on, but it will be ok, we have talent in our system.

When you really think about its pretty unrealistic to have the exact same top 9 for several years, right?

Reactions: Gary Nylund

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
23 games in, and Dermott's only been on the ice for 9 goals against (2 of which were on the PK). If you're only on the ice for an even-strength goal against less than once every 3 games, that's very good!

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I prefer Dermott to Konecny. At least it's looking that way.

At the time there was a compelling argument that the 3 picks offered a higher shot of hitting on an NHL player than the one 1st rounder. I think it boils down to the best of the 3 picks vs. the one 1st rounder. Dermott looks like a good pick. Konecny looks like a good pick. It has worked out fine. The Leafs probably would have picked a defenseman with the 1st rounder, maybe even Dermott. The other two picks aren't anything to write home about but there was a decent chance they might have been.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
many leafs fans were upset we passed on konecny and moved back a couple times to get dermott.

I'd rather Dermott + Bracco to Konecny myself

I was one of them but I'm definitely pleased with Dermott.

I saw Konecny as having a high likely-hood of being a solid north-south styled winger in the NHL, whereas the defenceman was always a bit of a higher risk.

I'm still awe struck by how far the Leafs have come in the last 3 seasons when I think about it.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017

I would do this:

Gardiner - Zaitsev
Rielly - Dermott
Rosen - Hainsey
Carrick

To be honest, I thought he had a decent camp, but didn't look anywhere near the guy we called up mid season.I think that stint being the 1D on the Marlies earlier this year was important, the confidence and poise he showed when he came up created a new paradigm for Dermott. Development isn't static, and I think we played it right again with this player. Yes he could have made the team, but he's better now for the experience in the intermediary in my view.

Last edited:

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I doubt Dzerkails amounts to anything but don't give up on Bracco yet. He's had a steady growth pattern since the draft. I'm really hoping next September he gets some games on Matty's right side. Apparently they had good chemestry at the USNTDP.
But a highly skilled defender ahead of a good but smaller skilled winger. Every day.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
23 games in, and Dermott's only been on the ice for 9 goals against (2 of which were on the PK). If you're only on the ice for an even-strength goal against less than once every 3 games, that's very good!

Yeah he is good, if you have time how many ES goals against has Polak been on vs Carrick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad