GDT: Traverse City 2019 Tournament Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
I'm expecting the Hartford coaching staff will be behind the bench along with Tanner Glass maybe....

Thinking the players with NYR rights that'll be attending are as follows....

Vitali Kravtsov
Kaapo Kakko
Jake Elmer
Patrick Newell

Matthew Robertson
Nico Gross
Hunter Skinner
Adam Fox
Yegor Rykov
Tarmo Reunanen
Joey Keane

Igor Shesterkin
Adam Huska

I'm also expecting some of the Hartford signees to attend, too. This could include guys like Nick Jones, Ryan Dmowski, Lewis Zerter-Gossage, etc.

I'm also wondering if we'll see some older players join in. This includes Hajek or Lindgren. Maybe Day or Ronning again? Are they too old at this point?

Thoughts?

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
I'm expecting the Hartford coaching staff will be behind the bench along with Tanner Glass maybe....
Vitali Kravtsov Kaapo Kakko Jake Elmer Patrick Newell
Matthew Robertson Nico Gross Hunter Skinner
Adam Fox Yegor Rykov Tarmo Reunanen Joey Keane
Igor Shesterkin Adam Huska
I'm also expecting some of the Hartford signees to attend, too. This could include guys like Nick Jones, Ryan Dmowski, Lewis Zerter-Gossage, etc.
I'm also wondering if we'll see some older players join in.
This includes Hajek or Lindgren. Maybe Day or Ronning again? Are they too old at this point? Thoughts?

as expected these are all the likely candidates
I suspect Jones, Dmowski, LZG are givens, all rookies from NCAA, having already been HWP ATOs in spring, Prospect Camp attendees, and AHL signees

in terms of guys with pro experience, IIRC NYR dont send too many with 1 full year pro, and aside from Goalies, hardly ever a guy with 2 years pro
among the vets of 2 pro seasons, given the new coaching staff, and the very small list of NYR-controlled Fs
i think these guys are possible: Leedahl is guy whose career is on the cusp,
also Possibly Gropp but they have had him @tc numerous times already

The list of guys who were pro rookies last year is pretty long,
i wouldn't expect more than 2-4 to be included,
but some for good reasons -
Gettinger and Hajek recovering from in-season injury, Ronning had a bumpy season, maybe those guys,
but re Hajek, the D is well-stocked so maybe not.
Meskanen as an older, euro-pro-experienced pro rookie last year, i would guess not going.
Day, been there often already, and yeah that already deep D, but again, the coaching staff revamp could lead to atypical roster buildout

somehow they need to get to ~14 F's
there will be tryout invites,
and i haven't looked closely, but maybe some rookies signed by Maine (a Yale guy this week...)

EDIT - crosschecked EliteProspects and ECHL sites, Maine (so far) has 3 rookie Fs from NCAA and a D-man just in from Canadian Junior
NCAA F's:Brett Supinski, Nick Master, Ted Hart,
D from QMJHL: Gabriel Sylvestre,

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

Vitali Kravtsov
Kaapo Kakko
Jake Elmer
Patrick Newell

Matthew Robertson
Nico Gross
Hunter Skinner
Adam Fox
Yegor Rykov
Tarmo Reunanen
Joey Keane

Igor Shesterkin
Adam Huska

I'm also wondering if we'll see some older players join in. This includes Hajek or Lindgren. Maybe Day or Ronning again? Are they too old at this point?

Thoughts?

Hunter Skinner's playing college hockey this year I think. If that's the case I wouldn't expect to see him at TC this year. Apart from that though I think everyone on your list will be there.

Forwards--Kakko, Kravtsov, Elmer, Newell, Nick Jones, Dmowski, Zerter-Gossage---possibilities--Gettinger, Meskanen. We're going to have several try outs.

Defense--Fox, Rykov, Reunanen, Keane, Gross, Robertson--I guess Lindgren, Hajek and Day could be possible players too but I'm not sure they're really needed. We've got 6 pretty solid guys and Day's been to at least 3 of these and both Hajek and Lindgren had some NHL games last year. Maybe Lindgren because he's played with Fox before.

Goalie--Shestyorkin, Huska.

Reactions: Leetch3

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Hunter Skinner's playing college hockey this year I think. If that's the case I wouldn't expect to see him at TC this year. Apart from that though I think everyone on your list will be there.

Forwards--Kakko, Kravtsov, Elmer, Newell, Nick Jones, Dmowski, Zerter-Gossage---possibilities--Gettinger, Meskanen. We're going to have several try outs.

Defense--Fox, Rykov, Reunanen, Keane, Gross, Robertson--I guess Lindgren, Hajek and Day could be possible players too but I'm not sure they're really needed. We've got 6 pretty solid guys and Day's been to at least 3 of these and both Hajek and Lindgren had some NHL games last year. Maybe Lindgren because he's played with Fox before.

I think gettinger and meskanen are too old at this point...probably same with Day, not sure about lindgren & hajek. they normally don't send guys 3+ years.

for hunter skinner as a college player, he can go as long as he pays his own way...but given all the dmen mentioned plus any guys on AHL deals or tryouts. I highly doubt they would bother asking him to go.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I think gettinger and meskanen are too old at this point...probably same with Day, not sure about lindgren & hajek. they normally don't send guys 3+ years.

for hunter skinner as a college player, he can go as long as he pays his own way...but given all the dmen mentioned plus any guys on AHL deals or tryouts. I highly doubt they would bother asking him to go.

College usually begins the end of August--if he's playing college hockey he needs to be at his school. It's pretty much the same reason as our European prospects--their teams have started their seasons already--they need to be with their teams.

On your point about Gettinger, Meskanen, Day, Lindgren, Hajek--Shestyorkin is 23--Meskanen is 23---the others are all 21. I'm not sure anyone here knows exactly all the criteria of what makes a player eligible to play in the tournament but being 23 years old isn't an issue. Quite often in the past teams have used players who have played an entire pro season--sometimes there will be as many as 3 players like that on a team. That is why I mentioned Hajek, Lindgren, Day, Meskanen, Gettinger--I don't think the Rangers will bring them all but one or two of them I could see. Keeping in mind as well that there may be unsigned players that the Rangers want to take a look at and they might not bring any guys like that.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
So I just looked up Skinner at Elite Prospects. Pre-draft he had signed a letter with Western Michigan U. but now Elite Prospects has him playing for the London (OHL) Knights this year--so I'd expect him to be at Traverse then and that lessens the chance of Hajek, Lindgren and Day because we already had 6 other guys.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
Yeah Skinner elected to forgo his commitment to WMU and instead play in London (I wasn't a huge fan of it but whatever).

London churns out good dmen constantly at least. Probably one of the better OHL teams to go to over NCAA

Reactions: Joey Bones

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
London's usually very good at developing players. I don't mind it at all.

London churns out good dmen constantly at least. Probably one of the better OHL teams to go to over NCAA
Not looking to rekindle that particular argument, but it had nothing to do with London which is a great program across the board. It had to do with this kid being considered a raw prospect, a project-type, and his originally stated path had him doing another year in the USHL or in Canadian Junior A before heading off to college. I prefer that development path for project players as it allows us a couple extra years to evaluate the player's development, and for a kid that's already 6'3" and 180, I'd like to have him playing against more physically mature players in the NCAA.

Also, at the time, Boqvist looked like he would be heading back to London for another year, and Regula is also there. So he'd at best be getting third pairing minutes and limited special teams play. Of course Boqvist left, which changes things, but this was all part of my displeasure with him choosing the Major Junior path. As I said though, not looking to make it another debate, he has made his choice (probably with input from NYR) and I'm fine with it.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
College usually begins the end of August--if he's playing college hockey he needs to be at his school. It's pretty much the same reason as our European prospects--their teams have started their seasons already--they need to be with their teams.

On your point about Gettinger, Meskanen, Day, Lindgren, Hajek--Shestyorkin is 23--Meskanen is 23---the others are all 21. I'm not sure anyone here knows exactly all the criteria of what makes a player eligible to play in the tournament but being 23 years old isn't an issue. Quite often in the past teams have used players who have played an entire pro season--sometimes there will be as many as 3 players like that on a team. That is why I mentioned Hajek, Lindgren, Day, Meskanen, Gettinger--I don't think the Rangers will bring them all but one or two of them I could see. Keeping in mind as well that there may be unsigned players that the Rangers want to take a look at and they might not bring any guys like that.

I think its more about the number of years in the organization is more important than actually age...day is only 21 but it would be the 4th time he went, so that ages him out. shesterkin is 23 but he's never gone so assuming he is in NY and available there is still value in him going to play games on the NHL rink to get ready for camp.

of course it also depends on depth...the forward depth is much different than the defensive depth so that factors into who might be sent.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Defense and goaltending is outstanding on paper.

Forward group unbelievably top-heavy. After the Ks its very weak.

Will unfortunately be on holiday so will miss most of the tournament this year. Looking forward to following on my phone after the games though!

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Not looking to rekindle that particular argument, but it had nothing to do with London which is a great program across the board. It had to do with this kid being considered a raw prospect, a project-type, and his originally stated path had him doing another year in the USHL or in Canadian Junior A before heading off to college. I prefer that development path for project players as it allows us a couple extra years to evaluate the player's development, and for a kid that's already 6'3" and 180, I'd like to have him playing against more physically mature players in the NCAA.

Also, at the time, Boqvist looked like he would be heading back to London for another year, and Regula is also there. So he'd at best be getting third pairing minutes and limited special teams play. Of course Boqvist left, which changes things, but this was all part of my displeasure with him choosing the Major Junior path. As I said though, not looking to make it another debate, he has made his choice (probably with input from NYR) and I'm fine with it.

this was my initial reaction to the announcement...skinner was present as a raw prospect that is perfect to send to college and let him bake for 4-5 years and hope for the best. where the timeline in juniors is sped up a bit. so my initial reaction was it didn't make sense for him. but its not something I'm worried about because 1)he's going to a great program and 2)I feel pretty confident in the assumption that he didn't make this decision on his own and the rangers were part of it.

Reactions: nyr2k2

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I think its more about the number of years in the organization is more important than actually age...day is only 21 but it would be the 4th time he went, so that ages him out. shesterkin is 23 but he's never gone so assuming he is in NY and available there is still value in him going to play games on the NHL rink to get ready for camp.

of course it also depends on depth...the forward depth is much different than the defensive depth so that factors into who might be sent.

I've looked before for eligibility requirements for this tournament and have never found anything concrete and I don't think anybody else ever has either. FWIW I don't see a good reason to bring Day there--he's been at least 3 times and he's never really even looked all that good and IMO he's not a great prospect anyway. The Rangers have Fox, Rykov, Reunanen, Keane, Robertson, Gross and Skinner anyway. That's 7 D and they or maybe not bring one more. But really there's at least 5 guys there I'd want to see playing every game.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere

Late to the punch, but Skinner is playing for London now....

Agreed that there'll be tryouts!!

Reactions: eco's bones

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Thoughts...

College players cannot attend Traverse City under any circumstances, even if they pay their own way. Considered a professional tournament.

Skinner will be much better off in London than college. London is the best Junior A program in Canada. Excellent coaching, full season schedule and Boqvist not returning opens up a ton of ice time.

That backend for the tournament looks awfully good!

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
I've looked before for eligibility requirements for this tournament and have never found anything concrete and I don't think anybody else ever has either. FWIW I don't see a good reason to bring Day there--he's been at least 3 times and he's never really even looked all that good and IMO he's not a great prospect anyway. The Rangers have Fox, Rykov, Reunanen, Keane, Robertson, Gross and Skinner anyway. That's 7 D and they or maybe not bring one more. But really there's at least 5 guys there I'd want to see playing every game.

yeah with all those D, bringing Day may not be useful,
however, at F, i could see bringing back more guys than usual -
guys like Getts, Ronning, Gropp, even Leedahl -
given both the short list of NYR property Fs, and the completely new coaching staff

i don't know that there are strict eligibility rules -
last year, or year before, it seemed a team or 2 - CBJ? Wild?
brought numerous guys with more pro or NHL experience than NYR typically bring

Reactions: eco's bones

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
yeah with all those D, bringing Day may not be useful,
however, at F, i could see bringing back more guys than usual -
guys like Getts, Ronning, Gropp, even Leedahl -
given both the short list of NYR property Fs, and the completely new coaching staff

i don't know that there are strict eligibility rules -
last year, or year before, it seemed a team or 2 - CBJ? Wild?
brought numerous guys with more pro or NHL experience than NYR typically bring

I don't think we usually see guys who have played two full years as pros--like Fontaine or Gropp have. Most teams will bringsa player or players with one full year though. That happens with most teams every year. The thing with Ronning and Gettinger is both have played in three of these tournaments. Both might be there though--to me though the guy that I'd say was most likely is Meskanen--one full year in North America--first half better than second half last year or at least statistically. Ronning would be next--he was the captain of last year's team but spent most of the year in the ECHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad