GDT: Traverse City 2019 Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creepingjeff

Mar 4, 2016
Keane had a really good game today. I don't know if it came out in the stream, but he was breaking up plays left and right. I thought he was the best defenseman in person today.

Someone asked about the invites, the only one who was decent was Kemp. The rest were negatives on the ice.

Newell is a pretty good player. He has a really good burst of speed and looked great on the Pk.

I have said it earlier but I think Jones will have a shot to play in the NHL this year. The guy did everything good and played all situations.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Just a gut feeling but If he continues to play like this into main camp I don’t think they ever let Reunanen go back to Europe. He’s too good. Time is now to get him acclimated to NA. He should be a top 4 guy in Hartford to start the season.

Keane on the other hand makes dumb play after dumb play. He’s going to be one of the first cuts you watch. Trying to do way to much just total opposite of his first year with us.
I have been a Keane supporter, but I 100% agree with this.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Not at all comparing the two stylistically, but he's not unlike Nick Backstrom in that regard. One of those players that make his linemates better, but plays such a quiet game and you look back at the end of the season and say "He had how many points?!?!?" and "Wow, I didn't realize his CF% was so good".

He's not that flashy in terms of the eye test, but his advanced numbers are going to be top notch.
Haven't Raymond and Holtz both complimented him as essentially the cog that makes them work best when they play together in international tourneys? Huge kudos.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Haven't Raymond and Holtz both complimented him as essentially the cog that makes them work best when they play together in international tourneys? Huge kudos.

giphy.gif

Reactions: JCProdigy

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
Oh, I remember Andy Bathgate (he was traded on February 22, 1964, three weeks after I met him at a Long Island Ducks game and got his autograph) but the only player I can honestly equate with Kakko is Rod Gilbert. He got a lot of publicity when he came up and had that unbelieveable 16 shot, 4 goal game in 1968 but it was a different time.

This is special.
Were the Ducks playing in the Comack Arena back then?

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I wonder if Reunanen has a punchers chance of beating out Rykov and Hajak for the 3rd pair job.
Hey If ADA plays hardball and he isn't back then Rykov would get the nod???
Would also maybe give Reunanen a shot???
It's gonna be very interesting in camp to see who grabs that 6th/7th dman slot.

Just doink

Mar 28, 2018
I think Reunanen is a legitimately great prospect but he'll have to beat out Hajek, Rykov and Lindgren to make the Rangers and I wouldn't say that he doesn't have a chance but I'd put his odds at 10-15%. I would give better odds to Hajek and Rykov and maybe even Lindgren......but that's what training camp is for. Let the best man win.

As for Liiga and the AHL being pretty much the same level I don't agree. The AHL is more of a development league but it's also a bit better.

I don't see him on the Rangers squad neither, 2020-2021 season for sure. At mininum hes fighting for spot, and may playing 50/50 on NHL/AHL.
He's really a late bloomer, but i dont think hes skill set is anything shy compared to other finnish top talent nowadays. Not Heiskanen level, but Välimäki/Vaakanainen.

Liiga used to be a mile better than AHL but mainly thanks to KHL the leagues level has gone down a bit. But i still don't agree AHL being better league, hard to compare thou. I see top 6 Liiga teams better than AHL top teams, but theres big cap after that in Liiga and AHL has better teams in overall after that.

And i do watch a ton of hockey in NA series, not just NHL.

It's safe to say top leagues are 1. NHL 2. KHL 3. SHL 4-6 (in no order) AHL, Liiga, NLA.

Just doink

Mar 28, 2018
When does the Liiga season end? Maybe he plays there and comes over for the end of the AHL season or even gets a cup of coffee with the Rangers if there's an opening.

Regular season ends 14.3 and playoffs at 25.4-2.5. Reunanen play in a good team in Liiga, so i think somewhere around 18.4 (after semifinals) hes team is done. Maybe sooner.

Reactions: egelband

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
I don't see him on the Rangers squad neither, 2020-2021 season for sure. At mininum hes fighting for spot, and may playing 50/50 on NHL/AHL.
He's really a late bloomer, but i dont think hes skill set is anything shy compared to other finnish top talent nowadays. Not Heiskanen level, but Välimäki/Vaakanainen.

Liiga used to be a mile better than AHL but mainly thanks to KHL the leagues level has gone down a bit. But i still don't agree AHL being better league, hard to compare thou. I see top 6 Liiga teams better than AHL top teams, but theres big cap after that in Liiga and AHL has better teams in overall after that.

It's safe to say top leagues are 1. NHL 2. KHL 3. SHL 4-6 (in no order) AHL, Liiga, NLA.

Not really a late bloomer, just got stuck for a while with injuries and then not getting consistent ice time. Prior to that, he was being looked at quite favorably iirc

Reactions: Just doink

Richard Banger

Mamba Mentality
Sep 29, 2017
Was Oklahoma now Texas
It's a consolation game in a prospect tournament when we have actual camp coming up in days. Why would we play guys we are likely considering to be key contributors this year on a NHL roster?

You need to get some perspective on this.
I was just asking if all of them were out and why. I'm not mad that they weren't playing. It made sense not to play them. I just wanted to make sure none of them were injured or sick.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

As far as leagues go---the European leagues play on larger ice surfaces, practice more and play less league games. Rosters are dotted with mid and late 30's players and there are more smaller players. The KHL has a major issue with parity. There are 6 or 7 teams on top and 10 to 12 that can hardly compete with them. The North American contingent that also dot European rosters usually consist of former NHL players who couldn't hang on any longer or AHL guys who ran out of pathway with a smattering of ECHL and NCAA guys. Still the KHL, SHL and Liiga are highly competitive leagues. There are all those differences between a league like the AHL + the AHL is not like them in that it is primarily a developmental league and as you will see some fantastic young talent coming out of the European leagues still the bulk of prospects who will play in the NHL are going to work their way through the NHL--and though there are veterans as well in the AHL their role isn't necessarily going to be being the best players or at least there is more mentorship expected on their part.

Obviously the NHL is the best but I'm really not a fan of ranking leagues.

Reactions: Just doink

Just doink

Mar 28, 2018
Obviously the NHL is the best but I'm really not a fan of ranking leagues.

Good post mate. I'm not fan of ranking leagues neither, i just thought it was little downplaying Reunanen to say he could be better than few AHL skaters (in one club) cuz i see Liiga and AHL being so close to other and Liiga is closest to NA style play in all europen leagues.

Last season i was so impressed about Reunanen, he skates very well, has hard and accurate shot and can make some supersmart plays.
This pass and way he controlls the pace of game before it speaks for itself.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I mean all you had to do was watch five mins of their traverse games to know the two of them are elite skaters. Very odd

Reactions: dapowl
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad