Travel to Pittsburgh

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
Do you like walking ?

I went to the Botanical Gardens & Schenley Park when I was there in November. Then there is Point State Park.

How about museums?

I went to Frick Museum then around the park.

Carnegie Museum of Natural History (real dinosaurs) and Carnegie Art Gallery (Impressionist collection was good) were worth the money too.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Monteray Bay's crab cakes are by far the best crab cakes in the Burgh, but it's more formal dining up there with a million dollar view. I'm not a huge fan of seafood, so if a place makes me like something fishy, then they are doing it right. I also had shark there, too.

But nonetheless - city life for me. I love that cultural district vibe. By far my favorite.

Do you like walking ?

I went to the Botanical Gardens & Schenley Park when I was there in November. Then there is Point State Park.

How about museums?

I went to Frick Museum then around the park.

Carnegie Museum of Natural History (real dinosaurs) and Carnegie Art Gallery (Impressionist collection was good) were worth the money too.

I like Frick Park. Little too cold for that right now. I play some clay tennis there on occasion. Damn red clay makes my shoes a frickin' mess, though. I end up going to play har-tru in Mt Lebo, but I digress. Frick Park is a beaut.

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
*looks at your location*

What did those savage flyers fans do to you 2?! :shakehead

I'm originally from the Harrisburg are, moved to Philadelphia because all my friends did. I was actually Vegan when I moved here, then vegetarian, I am now technically a pescatarian (health reasons), so I do eat fish on occasion. But it's easier to just tell people vegetarian.

I don't drink because I grew up around a lot of abusive alcoholics and I want no part of that life. I don't have anything against people who do drink and I believe it can be done responsibly, I just have "seen to much" as they would say. ha

So I am not the result of Flyer fans :laugh:

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I'm originally from the Harrisburg are, moved to Philadelphia because all my friends did. I was actually Vegan when I moved here, then vegetarian, I am now technically a pescatarian (health reasons), so I do eat fish on occasion. But it's easier to just tell people vegetarian.

I don't drink because I grew up around a lot of abusive alcoholics and I want no part of that life. I don't have anything against people who do drink and I believe it can be done responsibly, I just have "seen to much" as they would say. ha

Then like me. Just pick a great sounding restaurant and you can find something there. I never have trouble getting a good meal at any top rated restaurant.

Monterey Bay Fish Grotto is amazing for a fine meal with a spectacular view on top of Mount Washington. Their Ahi Tuna is amazing, as are the crab cakes.

https://montereybayfishgrotto.com/?...edium=TastingLink&utm_campaign=10thConference

070510_montereybayinside.jpg

thumb_600.jpg

tumblr_inline_mtap4bHT7I1rfjhuu.jpg

Ziggyjoe21

Nov 12, 2003
Pitt

No worries. I meant that sarcastically. I hope I didn't come off rude or judgmental.

Pittsburgh is a legitimate foody city and has no shortage of awesome restaurants (except maybe good barbeque) that cater to all diet needs.

Also, check out the mattress factory. It's an interesting, unique museum in a big building that used to be a... mattress factory.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
No worries. I meant that sarcastically. I hope I didn't come off rude or judgmental.

Pittsburgh is a legitimate foody city and has no shortage of awesome restaurants (except maybe good barbeque) that cater to all diet needs.

Also, check out the mattress factory. It's an interesting, unique museum in a big building that used to be a... mattress factory.

I've heard good things about Wilson's on the North Side.

https://goo.gl/maps/nQxiZcpe9DH2

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Has anyone ever stayed at the Priory hotel in Pittsburgh? My wife and I are planning a weekend trip to Pittsburgh for our anniversary in July and we want something near downtown and unique, but not necessarily super expensive. Any other hotel recommendations that fit this criteria? We usually do AirBnB when we travel, but wanted to do something different for an anniversary.

While I consider myself a Pittsburgher, I grew up in the suburbs and have lived in Cleveland nearly all of my adult life so I'm not too familiar with different neighborhoods. We usually just come to the city for Pens games or go to the Strip District with my mom when we are in town.

I was thinking about doing some touristy stuff (my wife reminded me I've never even taken her up the incline or to Mt Washington) mixed with checking out the newer food/drink scene in the city, maybe catching a play or art gallery, renting bikes, etc. We have an 18 month old at home (that won't be with us) so I'm trying to think of all the things we used to do that we can't anymore.

We are vegetarian but eat fish on special occasions (so I guess pescatarian) and pretty much like any style of food.

I'm looking for recommendations on:

Scratch bakeries
Unique craft/nano breweries or wine bars
Restaurants - I think we will eat at Monterey Bay Fish Grotto one night but open other than that
Enjoyable city walks or good spots to ride a bike

I plan to do some research on my own, but this board always gives good recommendations so I thought I'd ask. Thanks!

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Has anyone ever stayed at the Priory hotel in Pittsburgh? My wife and I are planning a weekend trip to Pittsburgh for our anniversary in July and we want something near downtown and unique, but not necessarily super expensive. Any other hotel recommendations that fit this criteria? We usually do AirBnB when we travel, but wanted to do something different for an anniversary.

While I consider myself a Pittsburgher, I grew up in the suburbs and have lived in Cleveland nearly all of my adult life so I'm not too familiar with different neighborhoods. We usually just come to the city for Pens games or go to the Strip District with my mom when we are in town.

I was thinking about doing some touristy stuff (my wife reminded me I've never even taken her up the incline or to Mt Washington) mixed with checking out the newer food/drink scene in the city, maybe catching a play or art gallery, renting bikes, etc. We have an 18 month old at home (that won't be with us) so I'm trying to think of all the things we used to do that we can't anymore.

We are vegetarian but eat fish on special occasions (so I guess pescatarian) and pretty much like any style of food.

Scratch bakeries
Restaurants - I think we will eat at Monterey Bay Fish Grotto one night but open other than that

I plan to do some research on my own, but this board always gives good recommendations so I thought I'd ask. Thanks!

if you have a car, you may want to consider (even if you don't there is always Uber) staying in East End either at Ace http://www.acehotel.com/pittsburgh or Indigo hotel https://www.hotelindigo.com/hotels/us/en/pittsburgh. They are both in east Liberty, up and coming area only 15 minutes from Downtown. I live in east End and am a little bit partial to it, but it is a really cool part of the City with quite of few good restaurants and a bunch of young people roaming around East Liberty, Shady Side, Oakland, etc...

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
See my previous post about the parks I went to. Lovely walks and most certainly bike friendly. I'm sure walking along the rivers is lovely in the summer too.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
If you love cats... they just opened up a kitty wine bar. It's bad ass... but i love dogs/cats. Basically you just kick it and have a drink with some cats hanging out. They are all able to be adopted so it's an awesome thing.

Just to answer some of your questions:

1) When you call to get reservations for Monteray Bay, ask if you can get a window seat looking at the city since you are coming out of town. Trust me... you will love it.

2) The best trail/walk ever is from PNC Park to Washingtons' Landing. I believe it's called 3 Rivers Heritage trail. I usually park near the stadium, walk from PNC to Washington's landing. It's a great thing to check out. https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUse...s_Heritage_Trail-Pittsburgh_Pennsylvania.html

3) Man go to Sienna Mercato in the Cultural District. It's ****ing beautiful. Go to the beer garden and just take it in. My post above or on the prior page will show ya why.

4) Tons of breweries now. Southern Tier is in north shore, too. Awesome.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
If you love cats... they just opened up a kitty wine bar. It's bad ass... but i love dogs/cats. Basically you just kick it and have a drink with some cats hanging out. They are all able to be adopted so it's an awesome thing.

Just to answer some of your questions:

1) When you call to get reservations for Monteray Bay, ask if you can get a window seat looking at the city since you are coming out of town. Trust me... you will love it.

2) The best trail/walk ever is from PNC Park to Washingtons' Landing. I believe it's called 3 Rivers Heritage trail. I usually park near the stadium, walk from PNC to Washington's landing. It's a great thing to check out. https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUse...s_Heritage_Trail-Pittsburgh_Pennsylvania.html

3) Man go to Sienna Mercato in the Cultural District. It's ****ing beautiful. Go to the beer garden and just take it in. My post above or on the prior page will show ya why.

4) Tons of breweries now. Southern Tier is in north shore, too. Awesome.

Really good stuff. Thanks Cole. I thought about staying in East Liberty so I'll check those hotels out.

Cat bar sounds cool. My friend wanted to open a cat cafe in Cleveland after his travels in Asia.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Definitely what vodeni said about hotels in the East End. I live in that area as well. If you do stay at one of them, there's plenty of restaurants and bars within walking distance. Or even a short Uber/Lyft ride.

Scratch bakeries

I totally don't know what scratch bakeries are, but Gluten Free Goat Bakery just opened up on Penn Avenue in Garfield:

http://glutenfreegoat.com/

Arsenal Cider House & Wine Cellar
http://www.arsenalciderhouse.com/

Grist House Craft Brewery
http://gristhouse.com/

Draai Laag Brewing Company
http://www.draailaag.com/

Penn Avenue Fish Co
http://www.pennavefishcompany.com/

Tana Ethiopian Cuisine
http://tanaethiopian.com/5139

APTEKA
http://aptekapgh.com/

I'm not too keen on the vegetarian options, but maybe SUBdrewgANS can give you some pointers.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

Scratch bakeries

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Priory for a birthday weekend three and a half years ago. It was nice, and especially nice that they provided a van service for free.We shared a couple bottles of wine with dinner at Lidias right across the river ( http://lidias-pittsburgh.com/) and did not have to worry about driving.

That said I would recommend the Mansions on Fifth if you are going for the B&B sort of experience. ( http://mansionsonfifth.com/ ).

craig02.jpg

images

room-1206.jpg

Right in the heart of Oakland not far from Pitt and everything, but very very nice.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Oh and if you go no where else go to gaucho parrilla, right over the 16th Street Bridge. It has made some top 100 lists nationwide. And yet is very reasonable. No fee BYOB too. If I had only one restaurant to take one visiting to this would be it. And we go to five star restaurants all over the country and world, it is what we like to do on vacations. This one is and should be up there, not fancy, just really good food.

Unfortunately no reservations so if you get there much after 5 you can have a two hour wait.

http://eatgaucho.com/

gaucho-parrilla-argentina.jpg

resizedimage400300-IMG0394040915.jpg

LPetrilla_GauchoFood-9171.jpg

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Why Gaucho Parrilla is one of the top 100 places to eat in the US

Matthew Wein January 26, 2015 Eat. Drink. Do., Pittsburgh in the News
The secret is out on Gaucho Parrilla Argentina, the little lunch-and-dinner joint at Penn Avenue and 16th Street in the Strip District.

Gaucho isn’t just Pittsburgh’s hottest lunch spot and one of Pittsburgh’s finest destinations for Argentinian-style and wood-fired meats, it’s one of the best-reviewed restaurants in the country. Yelp’s 2015 list of the top 100 places to eat in the U.S., released last Friday, ranked Gaucho Parrilla Argentina at No. 7. It was the only restaurant in the eastern United States to crack the top 10.

http://www.nextpittsburgh.com/pitts...s-one-of-the-top-100-places-to-eat-in-the-us/

.......... and I do not even eat meat, have not since high school. They always have a couple of fresh fish grilled though. Amazing, the sides as well. Grab a bottle of good wine, or even a Sangria, and have a great time there. Just arrive before five or not long after, or be prepared to wait and wait.

And speaking of liking to go to good restaurants while away, we are going to Quebec City for the first time the first week in April. I know several live near there, any suggestions? It is Maple Syrup Festival at that time.

Retrocity

The Ninja
Sep 5, 2007
Pittsburgh
http://takopgh.com/

They have a couple veggie/fish options for the entrees. We had the grilled octopus tacos, which were very good. My favorite were probably the Korean BBQ ones, but not vegetarian. They also have a menu with rotating specials, which likely will have another veggie/fish option. We had a guacamole with tuna, seaweed, sesame seeds, and soy sauce, very different but good.

They also have a pretty large tequila and rum menu.

If you consider it, I would recommend putting a reservation in a few weeks in advance depending on the day/time you are planning for.

I check this site occasionally for restaurant/food related news. They usually have information on events and new places that are opening. http://www.goodfoodpittsburgh.com/

Last edited:

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Not many mentions of Altius. Outstanding food, service and view. Hefty price tag but its worth it. All inclusive.. It might be my favorite place since Windows of the World in the World Trade Center. Went there before the Stadium Series game and sat right by Giroux, Simmonds , Voracek and Gudas. Simmonds wife/ girlfriend is a nasty thing BTW. Good looking but what an attitude.

Wholeys on the strip is really good too. Great food but your server is almost always a crack head.

Gandy Dancer by Station Square is usually very good. Free concerts in the summer in that area makes it pretty nice.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Thanks Jaded on the hotel/B&B recommendations. I saw Mansions on 5th doing some research but it's always good to get first hand accounts.

Appreciate all of the other recommendations everyone.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Not many mentions of Altius. Outstanding food, service and view. Hefty price tag but its worth it. All inclusive.. It might be my favorite place since Windows of the World in the World Trade Center. Went there before the Stadium Series game and sat right by Giroux, Simmonds , Voracek and Gudas. Simmonds wife/ girlfriend is a nasty thing BTW. Good looking but what an attitude.

Wholeys on the strip is really good too. Great food but your server is almost always a crack head.

Gandy Dancer by Station Square is usually very good. Free concerts in the summer in that area makes it pretty nice.

Altius is a great restaurant. My GF and I have gone there during restaurant week, nice view, right by the incline. They even used to give you gourmet flavored popcorn before you ordered, not sure if they still do that.

Gandy Dancer is the bar attached to the Grand Concourse, the restaurant in the converted railroad station. It has an early bird menu which gives you three courses if you get there before six or something like that, and a nice bar menu during happy hour. But if not going for that the main restaurant with the views of the river, if you can get that room, is what I would recommend.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

We have had dinner at the Mansions on Fifth at times, something they only do on occasion, but have never stayed there. It is wonderful inside though. The Priory was nice enough but nothing special to stay at. I do not regret staying there, we had fun, but the Mansions was a step above inside and out, and I would imagine the rooms reflect that as well.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Altius is a great restaurant. My GF and I have gone there during restaurant week, nice view, right by the incline. They even used to give you gourmet flavored popcorn before you ordered, not sure if they still do that.

Gandy Dancer is the bar attached to the Grand Concourse, the restaurant in the converted railroad station. It has an early bird menu which gives you three courses if you get there before six or something like that, and a nice bar menu during happy hour. But if not going for that the main restaurant with the views of the river, if you can get that room, is what I would recommend.
Yup... Had deep dish pizza popcorn.

I also like Eleven. A little more casual than Altius but still an upscale and unique menu.

Same goes for Poros.

Jeez... I think I put on 20lbs in 4 days in Pittsburgh.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
My Fiance (for 26 years now and counting) and I are going to Quebec City this Saturday for a week. I know that several here are from that area, any pointers similar to these for Pittsburgh would be welcome.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad