Confirmed with Link: Training Camp Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I mentioned it on a main forum discussion, most people here have likely never managed a small group or even had a direct report, let alone 50+ contracts for players, 30+ for coaches, trainers, assistants, others, reported directly to a billionaire, 10+ scouts across NA and Europe, your counterparts, all 31 of them next year, would like nothing more than to bent your over a barrel.

The actual position alone is it’s own monster.

Very much so. The classic example I could think of is Pierre McGuire. Guy is an absolute hockey encyclopedia. Knows so much. If he was some random posting on this board most people would think he was very knowledgeable.

Absolutely horrendous people skills. Did a disastrous job as a GM. Wasn’t a dummy though.

Reactions: Fig

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
For all those who are unhappy with Treliving's performance as GM... Remember these guys?

Doug Risebrough - GM from May 16, 1991 to November 3, 1995
Al Coates - GM from November 3, 1995 to April 11, 2000
Craig Button - GM from June 6, 2000 to April 11, 2003
Darryl Sutter - GM from April 11, 2003 to December 28, 2010
Jay Feaster - GM from December 28, 2010 to December 12, 2013
Brian Burke - GM from December 12, 2013 to April 28, 2014

I'll take Brad Treliving any day of the week over the above listed predecessors.

Agreed but we havent won that many playoffs since the 1989 cup. BT included. That's pretty low standard to compare to ;)

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
AHL goalie of the year and Calder cup winner, Alex Nedeljkovic cleared waiver.
And you guys were worry about Kylington, LOL. I bet even Bennett would clear :sarcasm:

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Has Stone officially been released? I find it pretty hard to believe that we'd enter this season with Kylington/Mackey as our only backup defensemen. Especially, given Gio's age and Tanev's injury history.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Has Stone officially been released? I find it pretty hard to believe that we'd enter this season with Kylington/Mackey as our only backup defensemen. Especially, given Gio's age and Tanev's injury history.

I think Gio and Tanev will be fine since their usage is going to be heavily controlled. A shortened season on top of controlled deployment for Tanev is going to favor him heavily and I think we will have him for the whole season.

I am assuming Hanifin - Andersson as our top pairing for 5v5. I am assuming Gio - Tanev as our top pairing for special teams.

If I'm being a little bit of a contrarian, I am more inclined to think Hanifin and Andersson are going to go down to injury if they are our top pairing for 5v5 than I am Gio or Tanev.

Stone I would hope would take on a more leadership role along the lines of dev coach on the taxi squad than being a legit back up dman option. Having a guy like him push the pace of the taxi squad would be beneficial.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Love seeing top line Dube. Weird to go to Leivo on that wing now rather than before but figure that's part of why there was a scrimmage, to see if they wanted him or Simon there

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I think Gio and Tanev will be fine since their usage is going to be heavily controlled. A shortened season on top of controlled deployment for Tanev is going to favor him heavily and I think we will have him for the whole season.

I am assuming Hanifin - Andersson as our top pairing for 5v5. I am assuming Gio - Tanev as our top pairing for special teams.

If I'm being a little bit of a contrarian, I am more inclined to think Hanifin and Andersson are going to go down to injury if they are our top pairing for 5v5 than I am Gio or Tanev.

Stone I would hope would take on a more leadership role along the lines of dev coach on the taxi squad than being a legit back up dman option. Having a guy like him push the pace of the taxi squad would be beneficial.
I don't think you go after a guy, sign him to a 4.5 million dollar, 4 year contract and plan on using him sparingly. Even if you do, with the condensed season, the minutes per week will still be roughly the same as they're used to. I expect to see Gio/Andersson and Hanifin/Tanev, personally. The point is, I still expect Stone to take Mackey's spot on the taxi squad.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I don't think you go after a guy, sign him to a 4.5 million dollar, 4 year contract and plan on using him sparingly. Even if you do, with the condensed season, the minutes per week will still be roughly the same as they're used to. I expect to see Gio/Andersson and Hanifin/Tanev, personally. The point is, I still expect Stone to take Mackey's spot on the taxi squad.

I don't think Tanev will be used sparingly. I'm saying controlled. Tanev will be a permanent fixture on the 2nd pairing vs in Vancouver he often did spot duty on the first pairing. It's more quality of competition control vs TOI control.

Yes, we start with Gio Andersson and Hanifin Tanev, but I think Hanifin Andersson will end up with the bulk of the 5v5 deployment TOI and Gio Tanev with the special teams TOI. This would be similar to last season.

The main reason for Gio Andersson IMO is because Andersson is getting a huge promotion fro 3RD (Brodie/Hamonic) to 1RD and having Gio guide him to get comfy in the new role is prudent. Hanfin is guiding Tanev on the second pairing. Hanifin - Andersson was a good playoffs pairing, so I think they will be reunited sooner or later.

Fair point on Stone replacing Mackey on taxi squad.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Treliving said that Mackey earned a spot on the team. Stone also hasn’t been signed.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Treliving said that Mackey earned a spot on the team. Stone also hasn’t been signed.
Stone also hasn't been released and I would think that playing valuable minutes in Stockton would be more beneficial to his development than eating popcorn.

Reactions: User1996

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I don't think Tanev will be used sparingly. I'm saying controlled. Tanev will be a permanent fixture on the 2nd pairing vs in Vancouver he often did spot duty on the first pairing. It's more quality of competition control vs TOI control.

Yes, we start with Gio Andersson and Hanifin Tanev, but I think Hanifin Andersson will end up with the bulk of the 5v5 deployment TOI and Gio Tanev with the special teams TOI. This would be similar to last season.

The main reason for Gio Andersson IMO is because Andersson is getting a huge promotion fro 3RD (Brodie/Hamonic) to 1RD and having Gio guide him to get comfy in the new role is prudent. Hanfin is guiding Tanev on the second pairing. Hanifin - Andersson was a good playoffs pairing, so I think they will be reunited sooner or later.

Fair point on Stone replacing Mackey on taxi squad.
I don't think so. Ward seems to be focusing on balance and I think they like the stability that Tanev gives Hanifin. With the efforts made to run 3-4 lines regularly, I don't see why you'd expect anything different from the defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad