Training Camp Thread (UPD:9/26)

Status
Not open for further replies.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
We absolutely have to move one or two existing forwards and at least one D to make this work.

Losing one or two to waivers for nothing when the season starts would be a depth hit.

I suspect Murray to really try to do this in the next three weeks.

If DaCosta were here, he'd be the 4th line Centre with Smith on the LW3. He would not do well with Greening, Condra and Neil. Hoffman would be forced out and Lazar sent away. Dealing 2 of the above (G, C, N) would absolutely be required.

For the record, I'd love DaCosta to be here.

WhiteLight*

I thought it was more his decision to seek other opportunities?

Ottawa refused to give him a one-way. He showed last year that he was an NHLer. Can't blame him for seeking guaranteed money.

BigBush*

No room for Da Costa on a one-way in the Sens line up. I'd rather see Pageau get a chance anyways if a centre gets hurt

WhiteLight*

No room for Da Costa on a one-way in the Sens line up. I'd rather see Pageau get a chance anyways if a centre gets hurt

He left before Legwand came. Even after Legwand, I don't see 12 forwards that are better than him. There's room

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
Ottawa refused to give him a one-way. He showed last year that he was an NHLer. Can't blame him for seeking guaranteed money.

absolutely not, though I didn't see him as a solid NHLer. He played 47 games over 4 years for the Sens, and I wasn't sold on him transitioning into the NHL. I was hoping he would, and he still might, I felt the same way about Regin and Butler too. Different stories and outcomes, but they all had shown varying degrees of promise. Good to see a stand up guy like Regin still in the NHL.

BigBush*

He left before Legwand came. Even after Legwand, I don't see 12 forwards that are better than him. There's room

Well he's a centre, so he'd be competing with Turris and Zib in the top 6, or Legwand and Smith in the bottom 6.
Management definitely made the right choice on this one.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Well he's a centre, so he'd be competing with Turris and Zib in the top 6, or Legwand and Smith in the bottom 6.
Management definitely made the right choice on this one.

Not sure about that. Smith can shift to LW. We'll need all the skill and goal scoring we can get next year. He would have filled some of that void left by Spezza.

His last stint with the big club he was actually playing very well. Then the olympic break came and he got sent down.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Not sure about that. Smith can shift to LW. We'll need all the skill and goal scoring we can get next year. He would have filled some of that void left by Spezza.

His last stint with the big club he was actually playing very well. Then the olympic break came and he got sent down.

The reallity is DaCosta isn't a 4th line player and if Smith moves to the wing, that's the spot that opens up. DaCosta won't beat out Turris, Zibanejad or Legwand so that leave him at best playing with the likes of Condra, Greening and Neil. Quite simply, he doesn't fit into the line up unless we have an injury.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
The reallity is DaCosta isn't a 4th line player and if Smith moves to the wing, that's the spot that opens up. DaCosta won't beat out Turris, Zibanejad or Legwand so that leave him at best playing with the likes of Condra, Greening and Neil. Quite simply, he doesn't fit into the line up unless we have an injury.

I agree he's not the best fit as a 4th line center, but who says Legwand can't play 4th line center? At his stage in his career he might just be that. SDC as a 3rd line center would fit nicely.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
My buddy is telling me JP Dumont is getting a try out at camp. Can anyone confirm or deny?

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
I'd say we will carry 23 on the roster this year, as opposed to 21 or 22.

Unless there is a trade or two, we need to carry 2G, 8D and 13F, or lose some talent to the waiver wire.

I'm hoping both Greening and Condra are cleared so we can set up a fast, young, skilled 4th line (Neil as 13th, to play when we need him).

If Pageau can find his magic and Lazar show up, there are really tough decisions for BM, especially if Puempel, Claesson et al push hard.

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
My buddy is telling me JP Dumont is getting a try out at camp. Can anyone confirm or deny?

He hasn't been named to the roster officially, so I doubt it.

That name still gives me nightmares.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I agree he's not the best fit as a 4th line center, but who says Legwand can't play 4th line center? At his stage in his career he might just be that. SDC as a 3rd line center would fit nicely.

SDC is too small for the NHL just like Conacher is, Pageau is & Prince is which is why none of them are in the NHL although Conacher is getting another chance with the Islanders. BTW Legwand had 51 pts playing in Detroit last yr & played 1st line minutes a lot because of the injuries to Detroit's best players. I think Zibanejad will be hard pressed to beat out Legwand for the 2nd line centre job in Ottawa at least to start the season plus PM likes his veterans.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I can see us starting with turris-legwand-zibanejad to start the year and going with turris-zibanejad-legwand to finish the year. But realistically there won't be much difference between lines 2 and 3.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
SDC is too small for the NHL just like Conacher is, Pageau is & Prince is which is why none of them are in the NHL although Conacher is getting another chance with the Islanders. BTW Legwand had 51 pts playing in Detroit last yr & played 1st line minutes a lot because of the injuries to Detroit's best players. I think Zibanejad will be hard pressed to beat out Legwand for the 2nd line centre job in Ottawa at least to start the season plus PM likes his veterans.

Da Costa is average height and weight. You are such a broken record.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I don't get the Da Costa love in here from some people. How many call ups did it actually take for him to actually show a sign that he actually has what it takes to be a nhl player? Even then though, that was a small sample size of games.

He was not going to beat out Turris, Legwand, Zibanjad and Smith depending on if he plays center or not. There is a reason why the Sens wanted to give him a two way deal.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012

He also ended up playing on the 4th line at the end of the year.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Da Costa is average height and weight. You are such a broken record.

I must be a broken record too as I agree with Aragorn's assessment. But I was disappointed that the Senators did not continue to use him in the NHL when he got his last stint here. I thought he was improving, finding his way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad