GDT: Training Camp: Oh, Hockey’s Back

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
The praise of Gauthier, for me, is more of an indication that he's playing well for one of the two extra forward slots, as a guy who could be plugged into the top 9 if there's an injury with Hunt being the 4th line replacer.

I don't have any doubts at this point that Kravtsov and Lundkvist will be on the opening night roster.
Exactly. I think he’s standing by to fill in if a top nine guy is hurt. Hunt is there in case a grinder is hurt. And it’s a perfect roster really.

Reactions: Fitzy

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
He seems a bit snake-bitten to me. The plays he makes and the chances he creates will lead to points. He's proven it at literally ever level he has ever played at and the same plays are happening for him at the NHL level.
Yep. That’s why, if he’s in the top nine his linemates could actually capitalize on the havoc he creates. And vice versa, his linemates will help him create more havoc. Play him in the top nine - personally I’d love to see him in the top six. But either way, put him in scoring situations and see how it goes. If he fails, fine. But I think he can be a good player.

Reactions: jay from jersey

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Last night's game should be taken in stride given the level of opposition. I'm happy there were largely no negative results / performances, on the flip side but I wouldn't make any positive adjustments to any existing expectations either.

Gauthier has been showing that he tries to play the right way - simple, straight forward, winning board battles and driving to the net. This is net positive that based on his size and speed should allow him to be inserted into line-up. But the question whether he has a goal scoring in him at the NHL level will remain open for a few seasons. So far - combined with what he showed last year - it looks he's 4th line - 3rd line tweener, and there's nothing wrong with it.

Reactions: mas0764

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Exactly. I think he’s standing by to fill in if a top nine guy is hurt. Hunt is there in case a grinder is hurt. And it’s a perfect roster really.

I wish we had a better veteran #7 option (Ahem, Brendan Smith) but beyond that yeah I have zero complaints about the roster building.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Not sure what everyone is worried about with Chytil. Last season, Chytil was our best 2 way center per TOI. He was one of the top 50 players in the entire NHL in even strength per 60. His offense and now defense have both improved with every season. Whenever he has gotten the chance to play with players like Panarin his offensive output jumps considerably.

His only real weakness is faceoffs. Which a lot of young centers struggle with. Which is why he needs a winger like Goodrow, someone to help out with faceoffs. But the same goes for Elias Pettersson who needs JT Miller for faceoffs and Kuznetzov, who has never been able to improve on faceoffs and even Barzal to an extent who still needs a lot of faceoff improvement. Yet I don't hear anyone worrying about their future.

The biggest difference between Chytil and those guys, aside from the obvious differences I mean, is that those guys get top 6 minutes with superior players and Chytil doesn't. I am fairly certain that if Chytil were our 2C he would be putting up similar numbers to Strome but with more potential to improve. Which is really why I was hoping we would bring in a good 3C this year, to move Chytil up to 2C with Strome on his RW to take faceoffs. But we didn't bring in that 3C and again, Chytil will have to do his best on that 3rd line with the weapons he has. If that line ends up being Goodrow - Chytil - Kravtsov, people really need to temper expectations. Goodrow is not offensively gifted and Kravtsov still has a ways to improve. So can't exactly expect Chytil to put up great offensive numbers with those kind of linemates. If they had put Kreider at his LW and Kravtsov at his RW, I would think we could expect 5-10 more points during the season at least.

But really, until Chytil gets to play with higher quality offensive players, that can match his ability and can work with his ability, he's not going to produce as much as he's capable of. But he will probably remain our best 2 way center this season, and hopefully with improvement over last season.

And I really hope keeping him on that 3rd line, without any real help, isn't stunting his offensive growth. Which is why I really really question not bringing in another 3C. Someone at least like Evans in Montreal, T. Johnson, Gourde etc.. He's at the point now where he really needs better linemates to progress his game.

2021 Rangers Report Card: Filip Chytil

https://blueseatblogs.com/2021/06/28/2021-ny-rangers-player-report-card-filip-chytil/

the question with a likely will continue to be this season with Chytil is, can he be consistent. He did very well before injury last season. Even upon return with his ice time cut a bit he performed well with 2 young guys.
This season with strome still in the fold, I don’t think he’ll be able to truly spread his wings. I hope Gallant give that 3rd line more ice time, and rides them hard when they are playing hot.
-can chytil play consistently hard over an 82 GM stretch plus playoff?
-can he take on top 6 responsibilities of playing with and against better players???
- will he have chemistry with Panarin?? ( if the play is to keep panarin/Zibby separated all year except PP Time like we’ve seen)
- will he get better at the Dot??
Chytil has shown flashes of good hard solid play as well as high end skill. He’s also shown instances where his vision might not be top 6 caliber and at least Quinn was leery about giving him more responsibility.
This is a huge year for Chytil. It’s his 5th season, and at 22 he’s still young but I think if the front office doesn’t see some massive progress in certain areas, he’s going to wind up on the trade market and Drury is going to look to upgrade the 2C.
I don’t think he’s going to wait another offseason/camp to address it.
95% sure strome won’t be back, mostly because that cap will go to Zibbys raise.
I think drury gave Chytil this 2year show me deal to prove he’s got what it takes. Chytil and his agent would have easily taken 4 years 3.25-3.5 per. After that he’d still be in line and young enough for a major deal.
Drury only extending him for 2 years tells me this is a do it or don’t year for Fil, and if he doesn’t, a trade is coming. I hope he rips it up

Last edited:

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I’d expect a change. He’ll probably open with the Same PP we had last year. The players all know each other, where they are going to be on the ice etc. Our PP wasn’t bad, could be better. But it’s just 1 less thing Gallant has to work on/ practice as much while being a 1st year coach on a new team. Implementing his style/system, and getting to know all his players.
Unless we have a top 5 PP with that group, I’d expect to see Laf/Kakko Take stromes spot by about 15-20 games in or so.
Is it the right move? Maybe, maybe not, but it’s what I expected to start the season.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
With Barron and Goodrow now, 2C is the only area for concern ( long term. Assuming Zibs is re-signed )

I still dont know about Chytil. He will get his chance though
Yep. Hopefully chytil can take the next step. Many think strome is a possibility to be resigned. I can’t see Drury doing that though for mainly 2 reasons.
1. Strome will likely have to take a sweetheart of a deal to stay, which won’t be his best finical move going fwd for him. His agent likely talks him out of it.
2. Stromes cap room is needed for Zibbys raise, or if Zibby negotiations go bad, for Eichel ( established 1C)

there is no way in hell At this stage of our rebuild/retool where this team wants to be playoff/cup contenders, where you can let Zibby walk and not have an immediate 1C in the same talent tier. Eichel is literally the only guy available that fits the criteria. He could be worse or better. No guarantees in anything in life.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
How has Barron been so far?

Great in the faceoff circle, good skating, solid penalty killing.

I'd say he's a lock for the team next season, likely replacing Rooney. Numbers game will probably keep him in Hartford again this year, but his physicality should help bring Pajuniemi along well as a potential linemate.

Reactions: jay from jersey

WojtekWolski86

Nov 14, 2019
Nils - Sure there were times where he was out of position a little, I imagine getting a feel for NA, the system, and teammates. He does not look overmatched physically, nor does he see shy to engage physically (aka not a soft Euro). You can see his hockey IQ and his head is always up both on D and O to see where the play is/going.

Tinordi - He skates like the last #5 if Danny G was skating on 2 broken ankles

If our 4th line can maintain offensive pressure like it did tonight, I don't even care if it ends up in the net, but O-zone possession with scoring chances is a massive improvement over the mess the 4th line has been the past few years.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I wish we had a better veteran #7 option (Ahem, Brendan Smith) but beyond that yeah I have zero complaints about the roster building.
Boston fans actually really like Tinordi as their 7th last year. Said he was solid when called upon and did all of the things you’d expect him to do.
I’m cautiously optimistic with him. Hopefully it just takes him some getting used to with the new surrounding and practicing with a new team.
Imo he’s a better option then Hajek, especially partnered with a Lundkvist/Jones.
He’s never going to be an everyday guy for us, but he can hopefully bring everything smith brought on the defensive side while sticking up for his teammates

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Boston fans actually really like Tinordi as their 7th last year. Said he was solid when called upon and did all of the things you’d expect him to do.
I’m cautiously optimistic with him. Hopefully it just takes him some getting used to with the new surrounding and practicing with a new team.
Imo he’s a better option then Hajek, especially partnered with a Lundkvist/Jones.
He’s never going to be an everyday guy for us, but he can hopefully bring everything smith brought on the defensive side while sticking up for his teammates

He was on the ice for 4 GF and 12 GA in 14 games. That's the player they liked?

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago

Never had a chance.

On the plus side, he and schneider in Hartford together could be a real blessing for each of them and for the organization. Not hard to imagine a scenario where Nils gets moved for a center and you have a ready-made pair that's had months or even a full season together, who compliment each others' strengths.

Sauer-McDonagh-esque maybe

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
On the plus side, he and schneider in Hartford together could be a real blessing for each of them and for the organization. Not hard to imagine a scenario where Nils gets moved for a center and you have a ready-made pair that's had months or even a full season together, who compliment each others' strengths.

Sauer-McDonagh-esque maybe
I wonder if we see
Jones-Schneider
Robertson-Skinner
???
Or if they intend on playing Renunanen. With 1 of the big 3

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad