Training Camp 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Anyone else think these Adidas training camp jerseys are pretty sweet?

Excited to go to the game against Pittsburgh on Wednesday.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Calder Cup MVP isn't impressive? Tough crowd.

There is another word for it, but I'll refrain.

Soon to be 23 and still can't crack the NHL. Glad y'all are still impressed with his almighty progress and wonderful development... and calder MVP credentials. But that means dog doodoo in the NHL. Remember that one time Wade Flaherty won Calder MVP? Gee whiz, where did he go? What about Frédéric Cassivi? I can do this all day. Calder Cup MPV is awesome! :sarcasm:

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
He's 22, it was a pretty impressive feat. He could be a very capable 3rd liner for us, is that really worth knocking him?

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
Soon to be 23 and still can't crack the NHL. Glad y'all are still impressed with his almighty progress and wonderful development... and calder MVP credentials. But that means dog doodoo in the NHL. Remember that one time Wade Flaherty won Calder MVP? Gee whiz, where did he go? What about Frédéric Cassivi? I can do this all day. Calder Cup MPV is awesome! :sarcasm:

Oh, sure.. He "can't crack" the roster artificially stuffed with useless "veterans".
We must be in the Stanley Cup glory days with 9 Hall of Famers on the roster.

As I said, there is another word for you.....

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Did you have the same thinking when Tatar did it the last time in similar fashion and age?

Tyler Bertuzzi is going to be an NHL player, I am not sure he is more than a third liner, but he looks like he will be a good one there. Very happy with Tyler Bertuzzi's progress, hopefully he makes some more gains in his skating.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Did you have the same thinking when Tatar did it the last time in similar fashion and age?

Tyler Bertuzzi is going to be an NHL player, I am not sure he is more than a third liner, but he looks like he will be a good one there. Very happy with Tyler Bertuzzi's progress, hopefully he makes some more gains in his skating.

No. Tatar was too busy scoring goals.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
He turned 22 this year.. and without injury his NHL call-up could have been a lot longer. He's probably going to be a full-timer this season. Not sure what you're on about here, Bert's upside remains in question but no doubt in my mind he'll be a NHLer.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
No. Tatar was too busy scoring goals.

Bertuzzi has been a monster for five consecutive playoff runs now going back to junior. Maybe you're just too busy not tuning into the games. There is simply put nothing to criticize about Tyler Bertuzzi's Calder Cup playoff MVP at least while actually watching it. He has a higher PPG average in his three runs than Tatar does in his one monster run.

You can question his long-term fit, whether he can truly force his way into a top 6 role or why he has weaker regular seasons. But what he has been come playoff time since dating all the way back to 13-14 in Guelph is absolute money.

I still think he needs to get another half step quicker, but he is a good hockey player that is going to spend some time in the NHL. With an addition in the skating department that will be a lot of time because he is a pretty unique player. Pests with skill are good to have and Bertuzzi is that to a T.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Tyler Bertuzzi will be horrible regular season player also in NHL. And people will be whining about his efforts every year.

But when we enter the playoffs, on some year, when the team is finally better/deeper and earns a playoff spot, then Tyler Bertuzzi will again be one of our best players.

I usually don't care a piece of ****, if somebody is bad or NOT PRODUCTIVE at regular season hockey. But if the team is enough deep and guy shines at the playoffs, when it matters most, he is my favourite player.

Regular season = practise games in my eyes. Playoff hockey is what really determines a hockeyplayer.

Some people just raise the level, when stakes are higher. Some guys go hidden behind a tree. First ones are my favourites.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Playoff hockey is what really determines a hockeyplayer.

This little shower thought made me look up how the current Wings are performing in the playoffs.

They've played 17 playoff games over the last 4 seasons. The leading scorer in that time is Datsyuk with 10 points in 17 games. Next up is Tatar with 7 points in 17 games. After that it trails off pretty hard into a bunch of sad stat lines.

DeKeyser is a -8 with 2 points in 17 games. Helm is a -7. Brendan Smith somehow came away with a +4, but only 1 assist.

If you go back further one season, after D and Z, Dan Cleary and Brunner are now the Wings leading playoff scorers over the last 5 seasons. And no, I'm not talking single season totals. These are all summed.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
This little shower thought made me look up how the current Wings are performing in the playoffs.

They've played 17 playoff games over the last 4 seasons. The leading scorer in that time is Datsyuk with 10 points in 17 games. Next up is Tatar with 7 points in 17 games. After that it trails off pretty hard into a bunch of sad stat lines.

DeKeyser is a -8 with 2 points in 17 games. Helm is a -7. Brendan Smith somehow came away with a +4, but only 1 assist.

If you go back further one season, after D and Z, Dan Cleary and Brunner are now the Wings leading playoff scorers over the last 5 seasons. And no, I'm not talking single season totals. These are all summed.

I always find it funny when people **** on Tatar for not being a playoff performer. Hard to produce when you're alone in that department.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
I always find it funny when people **** on Tatar for not being a playoff performer. Hard to produce when you're alone in that department.

Well, if our last 3 playoff round showed anything, it's that our players are easily neutralized when opposing teams discipline themselves to take the body first. Tatar and Nyquist were really stand-outs of how they were just unable to create anything in that environment. They have talent but showed lack of creativity in finding ways to get around that. Hopefully experience plays it's role though but looking at other scenarios in Hockey, physical play tend to be best neutralized by structured playmaking.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Well, if our last 3 playoff round showed anything, it's that our players are easily neutralized when opposing teams discipline themselves to take the body first. Tatar and Nyquist were really stand-outs of how they were just unable to create anything in that environment. They have talent but showed lack of creativity in finding ways to get around that. Hopefully experience plays it's role though but looking at other scenarios in Hockey, physical play tend to be best neutralized by structured playmaking.

Great, how was the rest of the team neutralized to make Tatar our #2 playoff performer?

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
Great, how was the rest of the team neutralized to make Tatar our #2 playoff performer?

He didn't exactly blow everything out of the water and if I recall correctly, both D and Z played with injuries or were coming off injuries. Though I can't recall too much about the last time we played Tampa in playoffs. However, when we played the Bruins and Tampa the following season, both Tatar and Nyquist couldn't make it past the opposing blue-line and were easily stopped in their tracks. That was pretty obvious even if they did score a goal or two, they hardly made any opponents sweat doing it.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
I can't wait til Wings make the playoffs again. And I hope a young Tyler Bertuzzi proves me wrong in the playoffs and raises the cup.

I kind of hope he plays well through out the year as well. Otherwise, we have Brendan Smith on our hands all over again. If that guy played as focused during regular season as he does playoffs....

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
He didn't exactly blow everything out of the water and if I recall correctly, both D and Z played with injuries or were coming off injuries. Though I can't recall too much about the last time we played Tampa in playoffs. However, when we played the Bruins and Tampa the following season, both Tatar and Nyquist couldn't make it past the opposing blue-line and were easily stopped in their tracks. That was pretty obvious even if they did score a goal or two, they hardly made any opponents sweat doing it.

We scored 5 goals that series Pavel (3), Hank, and Glendening.

Let me rephrase me first post.

I find it funny that people **** on Tatar for not being a playoff performer when he's outscored everyone on the team beside Datsyuk since he joined the team.

Since the Bruins series he has 7 in 12 games, still not good, but a lot better than the rest of the team.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
We scored 5 goals that series Pavel (3), Hank, and Glendening.

Let me rephrase me first post.

I find it funny that people **** on Tatar for not being a playoff performer when he's outscored everyone on the team beside Datsyuk since he joined the team.

Not just Tatar but we were physically out muscled, especially against Bruins. Tatar certainly didn't display any creativity and that's not ******** on him. He's just one of our better scorers. You kind of expect more as a result. None of our guys were particularly effective, that's absolutely true but the problem is still there and hopefully, he and other guys can adjust. We had guys that played well but those same guys aren't the ones we rely on for scoring. Smith, Abdelkader, Glendening, all played well but, they played well for the roles they play and that's not goal scoring or playmaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad