Training Camp 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Full link here

Team Delvecchio

Forwards: Justin Abdelkader, Tyler Bertuzzi, Luke Glendening, Darren Helm, Dylan Larkin, Anthony Mantha, Frans Nielsen, Gustav Nyquist, P-A Parenteau, Riley Sheahan, Ben Street, Tomas Tatar, Luke Witkowski, Henrik Zetterberg

Defensemen: Dennis Cholowski, Trevor Daley, Danny DeKeyser, Jonathan Ericsson, Mike Green, Nick Jensen, Niklas Kronwall, Xavier Ouellet, Ryan Sproul

Goaltenders: Jimmy Howard, Petr Mrazek

Team Howe

Forwards: David Booth, Colin Campbell, Corey Elkins, Turner Elson, Luke Esposito, Matt Ford, Martin Frk, Axel Holmstrom, Matt Lorito, Dylan Sadowy, Dominik Shine, Evgeny Svechnikov, Eric Tangradi, Dominic Turgeon

Defensemen: Joe Hicketts, Filip Hronek, Brian Lashoff, Pat McCarron, Dylan McIlrath, Dan Renouf, Robbie Russo, Vili Saarijarvi

Goaltenders: Jared Coreau, Matej Machovsky, Tom McCollum

Team Lindsay

Forwards: Mike Borkowski, Austen Brassard, Oliver Castleman, Connor Crisp, Zach Gallant, Brady Gilmour, Isaac Johnson, Sean Josling, Luke Kutkevicius, Zach Nastasiuk, Michael Rasmussen, Givani Smith, Lane Zablocki

Defensemen: Marcus Crawford, Simon Denis, Evan Fiala, Cole Fraser, Jordan Sambrook, Libor Sulak, Kevin Tansey, Reilly Webb

Goaltenders: Corbin Boes, Kaden Fulcher, Pat Nagle

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Looks like team Delvecchio is the sure-fire NHL-ready players (interesting that Parenteau and Cholowski are there), Howe is AHL-bound group and Lindsay is OHL and over-seas players.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I am so excited! Hope Red Wings have a good year and Blashill has a good coaching season. I'm not interested in losing for better picks. Most of all, I am sick of all the illogical negativity.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Looks like team Delvecchio is the sure-fire NHL-ready players (interesting that Parenteau and Cholowski are there), Howe is AHL-bound group and Lindsay is OHL and over-seas players.

Lindsay also seems to have a lot of likely ECHL bound guys (Borkowski, Brassard, Crisp, Nastasiuk, Denis, Sulak, Tansey and Nagle).

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

For over a decade they said that there's no reason to play vets against kids, because the kids won't learn anything about those blowouts. I remember it came from Brendan Shanahan at some interview.

These three teams were always split teams, where vets on the top line played against other teams vets on the top line etc. . AHL lines played against AHL lines and prospect lines played against prospect lines. Kids on same team learned from the vets.

Now something different?

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
So it's pretty clearly the NHL players, the players who could potentially make the team with a great camp, and the guys who have essentially no shot.

What's the logic behind that? They don't want a AHL-level guy who plays well with an NHL linemate to bamboozle them or something? You'd think it would be good for kids to play alongside real NHLers so you can see how they'd slot into your existing lineup in the future, but apparently that's not something they're interested in. Kinda puzzling to me.

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
The way the team's are set up may be the closest thing we get to the organization's depth chart with a few wrinkles thrown in.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
The way the team's are set up may be the closest thing we get to the organization's depth chart with a few wrinkles thrown in.

More of:

Team Delvecchio = 95% of NHL squad.

Team Howe = 95% of Grand Rapids Griffins

Team Lindsay = rest of the guys.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Doesn't the team generally split up the talent rather than putting them on the same squad? Maybe I'm thinking specifically about when they split the squads for the preseason, but I still thought that you'd have the talent more spread out. Like 1st line one on team, 2nd line on another... 1st pairing on one team, 2nd pairing on another team, etc.

Interested in the approach. I am looking forward to watching some hockey again though.

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
Ansar Khan‏ @AnsarKhanMLive 1m1 minute ago

#RedWings Blashill said Sproul (knee) will skate in camp but probably not full-out.

Ansar Khan‏ @AnsarKhanMLive 30s30 seconds ago

#RedWings Blashill said everyone else ready to go, including Tatar (shoulder) and Glendening (ankle).

Ansar Khan‏ @AnsarKhanMLive 1m1 minute ago

#RedWings Blashill had nothing new to report on Athanasiou, who's still deciding between NHL and KHL and not in camp.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
https://www.nhl.com/redwings/news/n...e-ground-running-in-training-camp/c-291060750

Some notes of Blashill's plan:

- Dylan Larkin will be locked on center spot

"My plan is to have Larkin at center," Blashill said. "A lot's been played about Larkin's struggles at times last year and the reason I moved him out of center was maybe he wasn't ready for the center position. It is a lot of responsibility.

"There were certain habits that he had to change and changing habits is not easy. A lot of times the coach is on you and when the coach is on you, it takes away your confidence. I thought he really built his game back up in the last 20 games, I thought he was excellent. He was excellent in the world championships at center.

"His defensive instincts are way better at center. He's a guy that kind of anticipates where the puck's going like Pavel used to in the D zone and is able to steal it and get out of the zone and I think he's got a way better ability to make plays and be a playmaker than people give him credit for.

"He likes to hold onto the puck and skate with the puck. There's nothing wrong with that. I think he's got a way better ability to make plays. I would say right now Larkin will be a center for us."

- The three teams are split on NHL, Griffins and prospects.
Why?
- Prospect-group has more time to do a double scrimmage (normally did a single one)
- NHL squad has more time to prepare together for special teams, which weren't working at last season. Especially power-play.

"When you split the guys up into different teams, it's hard to get that chemistry going right away. We wanted as much time to get that specialty team chemistry going as we can.

My guess is that Griffins-squad plays two games, both against Team Lindsay and Team Delvecchio, and that NHL-team never plays against that kid team. They split on Red and White and continue from there.

About Athanasiou:

"Right now, today all I know is we've got a group of guys here and we'll have a plan ready for Double-A and a plan if he's not here," Blashill said. "My job as the coach is to make sure I maximize the guys that are available to me. It's simple, as a coach you guys have heard me say this a hundred times, you worry about the players that are available to you.

"There's multiple reasons why players are not available to you - illness, injury and in this case a contract negotiation. None of those are really things I can worry about.

"All I can worry about is the guys who are available to us. When I see tomorrow exactly who's available to us, we'll execute the plan that's in place."

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
Lines according to Khan:

Tatar-Zetterberg-Nyquist
Abdelkader-Larkin-Mantha
Parenteau-Nielsen-Helm
Bertuzzi/Witkowski-Sheahan-Glendening

DeKeyser-Green
Daley-Cholowski
Ericsson-Jensen
Ouellet-Sproul

Ansar Khan‏ @AnsarKhanMLive 18s19 seconds ago

#RedWings Kronwall not skating today. Holland said Kronwall feels great but Blashill wants to limit his time on the ice right now.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Lines according to Khan:

Tatar-Zetterberg-Nyquist
Abdelkader-Larkin-Mantha
Parenteau-Nielsen-Helm
Bertuzzi/Witkowski-Sheahan-Glendening

DeKeyser-Green
Daley-Cholowski
Ericsson-Jensen
Ouellet-Sproul

Ansar Khan‏ @AnsarKhanMLive 18s19 seconds ago

#RedWings Kronwall not skating today. Holland said Kronwall feels great but Blashill wants to limit his time on the ice right now.

That second line is going to go through some growing pains, that's for sure.

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
Ansar Khan @AnsarKhanMLive

Daley now skating with DeKeyser, which was what Blashill said would be the case. Cholowski (for Kronwall) with Green. #RedWings

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
So Blashill is going with Tatar-Zetterberg-Nyquist on the top line, Usually in the past when Tatar and Nyquist are together they don't usually do all that well. The better line was obviously Tatar-Zetterberg-Mantha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad