Training Camp 2015-2016

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I would assume if a replacement player is coming it would be for Bingo & not Ottawa since that is where Wikstrand was headed before he decided to go home. Hopefully, the replacement guy has a little NHL experience & could be an injury call up in a temporary situation if needed to play a bottom pairing role. Although I don't expect much more than that & we sort of have that already in Claesson for the left side & Kostka for the right side & then there is Harpur who can play either side which makes him valuable.

I agree with the Bingo for Wikstrand comment. The Ottawa Senators already have 7 defensemen on one-way contracts (including Phillips who is injured) plus Wideman who will likely get an opportunity to stay with the team as the 7th Defenseman with Phillips out. If the team does try to get a Defenseman then it should be a second pairing quality to play with Ceci. The team does not need any older non-prime time Defensemen who will just take away time from our younger Defensemen.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I agree with the Bingo for Wikstrand comment. The Ottawa Senators already have 7 defensemen on one-way contracts (including Phillips who is injured) plus Wideman who will likely get an opportunity to stay with the team as the 7th Defenseman with Phillips out. If the team does try to get a Defenseman then it should be a second pairing quality to play with Ceci. The team does not need any older non-prime time Defensemen who will just take away time from our younger Defensemen.

I don't see that happening anytime soon especially considering all the stuff I've been reading & hearing about how good Wiercioch was to end the yr & then with team Canada after their season. I think he will be given every opportunity to keep that spot & if he is unable to then Cowen will be given the opportunity before they start looking to replace either of those two. Having said that though & watching both Wiercioch & Cowen so far in training camp I have to admit it's within the realm of possibility that both could fail miserably & need to be replaced by mid-season. Hopefully, they will get better even incrementally for this team to challenge for a playoff spot but if they regress in any way that idea may need to be revisited.

By Tuesday I expect that Wideman & Prince will be staying with the team & possibly Puempel, Paul, Chabot & O'Dell. Too bad Robinson got hurt, I would liked to have seen him this pre-season. It will be interesting to see if Chabot gets any games to start the yr, I think somebody will have to be injured for him to stay though based on the numbers.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
I'd think Volchenkov in today's game would get a lot of suspensions for his ATrain hits. Similar to the situation Sutton found himself in. Boy were those fun hits though, always a rookie it seemed too.

BigBush*

I don't see that happening anytime soon especially considering all the stuff I've been reading & hearing about how good Wiercioch was to end the yr & then with team Canada after their season. I think he will be given every opportunity to keep that spot & if he is unable to then Cowen will be given the opportunity before they start looking to replace either of those two. Having said that though & watching both Wiercioch & Cowen so far in training camp I have to admit it's within the realm of possibility that both could fail miserably & need to be replaced by mid-season. Hopefully, they will get better even incrementally for this team to challenge for a playoff spot but if they regress in any way that idea may need to be revisited.

By Tuesday I expect that Wideman & Prince will be staying with the team & possibly Puempel, Paul, Chabot & O'Dell. Too bad Robinson got hurt, I would liked to have seen him this pre-season. It will be interesting to see if Chabot gets any games to start the yr, I think somebody will have to be injured for him to stay though based on the numbers.
With Weircoch I think the plan is right now to play him on the second pairing. I don't think management is actively looking for a new top 4 Dman but if the right guy became available at the right time at the right price I could see Murray jumping on it.

Murray is generally very active at the deadline. I can see him pulling the trigger if the Sens are doing well the way Yzerman did with Tampa and their D over the last few years

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
33 left.

The Ottawa Senators (@Senators) announced today that they have reduced their training camp roster by 23 players, assigning 21 players to Binghamton of the American Hockey League and moving two players to injured non-roster.

Eighteen players were assigned to Binghamton this morning, including: Chris Carlisle, Vincent Dunn, Chris Driedger, Ryan Dzingel, Travis Ewanyk, Scott Greenham, Alex Guptill, Ben Harpur, Danny Hobbs, Guillaume Lepine, Daultan Leveillé, Tobias Lindberg, Ryan Penny, Chris Rumble, Troy Rutkowski, Nick Tuzzolino, Alex Wideman and Matthew Zay.

Three players, David Dziurzynski, Patrick Mullen and Cole Schneider, were placed on waivers yesterday, and will be assigned to Binghamton should they clear waivers at noon today.

Injured players Buddy Robinson and Michael Sdao were moved to injured non-roster.

The 21 players assigned to Binghamton today are expected to play tonight when the B-Sens take on the Carleton University Ravens in an exhibition game at 7 p.m. tonight at Carleton University’s Ice House.

The Senators training camp roster is now composed of 33 players: Three goaltenders, 11 defencemen and 19 forwards.
http://senators.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=780781

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Interestingly, Dzingel was cut while McCormick was not.

Yea that's quite interesting though I think he'd be able to fill a bottom 6 role better than Dzingle IMO. McCormick has already the ability to play an effective energy line role while being above average defensively. I really like Dzingle and like that he was more agressive in camp than in previous years but I feel like McCormick is a better fit.

A little surprised that Chabot wasn't cut yet, that's really telling of what the coaching staff thinks about him. He's been extremely calm and composed so far so that has impressed me a lot. Happy for him, and honestly didn't think he'd have such a good camp.

Not as much of a surprise but Paul also wasn't cut.

In the end they'll likely all be cut and Puempel also for Prince.

Interesting that Kostka and Claesson are also staying for now.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
I think thats probably it for Schneider. A couple people thought he was a darkhorse prospect including me, but he just didnt do anything at all. I cant recall his name even being said once by the announcers. And at 25, it seems like the time is up.

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
Interestingly, Dzingel was cut while McCormick was not.
yeah I thought he had earned a longer look with his play but I guess when you know you know and let him go down and develop to allow the big boys to start and get the rust off

It was pretty clear from all of the interviews from Sens management that they really liked what they say in McCormick. He should have an easier time making the team as we don't have a "Gallagher" on our team that is a feisty, tenacious player that has some skill but is a pest. He doesn't seem to be a Matt Cooke type dirty player which is key.

I could see him battling Paul for that 4L C position or I can see him coming in for Chiasson if he ever gets injured.

For all the Greening apologists, to which there is essentially one, if a guy like McCormick - who can identify a need in Ottawa and play his way onto the team while Greening refusal to alter his game to become a bottom 6 player nor changing his regiments enough to identify why he isn't producing offensively - can pass you on the depth chart (which he hasn't done yet, but its looking more and more likely that both Paul and McCormick will at some point this year) you clearly lack something mentally. I don't see how any team would take him on their roster as at the moment he doesn't do anything very well. He is just an average player who isnt gritty enough for your bottom six but not skilled enough for your top 6. Why wouldany team take him on their roster when they can fill that whole with a player who specializes in something.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I think thats probably it for Schneider. A couple people thought he was a darkhorse prospect including me, but he just didnt do anything at all. I cant recall his name even being said once by the announcers. And at 25, it seems like the time is up.

yeah too bad. for him anyway. maybe good for the team that there are so many prospects that out performed him.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I would rather have dzingel or puempel on pageau and lazars wing than michalek. I bet they both get games though.
I don't know for how long CAmeron is going to put up with the Neil-Smith duo. they might just be starting the year on special request from BM.

Odell has played far better than smith, and will continue to do so. but then its 4 right handed centers.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
and go through three contract holdouts again, no thanks

Hence why he said no Gandler.

Yashin was a beast in his prime. His career didn't have the longevity to make it into consideration for things like the HHOF, but the guy was elite.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008

Did he even dress for any games this pre-season?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad