Speculation: Trades: The Calm before the storm?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think it's more difficult than ever to make a trade because of a flat cap, declining revenues, and uncertainty regarding the coming season. The NHL is making happy talk, but there is a distinct possibility that the 20-21 season is played to empty seats, and is shortened, if not cancelled.

I think some teams are just going to punt, and look to 21-22.

Reactions: Goulet17

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Kind of doubt we're going to see as much action as people seem to be expecting. A flat cap means more teams will be risk averse the next couple years.

This will just drive UFA terms down in terms of money and length outside of5 or so UFAs ( PA, Hall, Krug, a few others). The rest are going to be going for the best return on investment.

Teams need to prepare for the ED so it will hurt long controlle Dmen value because of exposure.

This happened ehrn vegas came in. Teams didn’t acquire a 4D who they can’t protect the following year and wait till after the draft. There aren’t many teams who can protect 4D.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
GM's are likely waiting to see what deals they can squeeze out of a few cap strapped teams. There are likely to be some real bargains there.
Personally i would take a cautious approach on acquiring players with 1 year of term left. It's a possibility (however slight) they never play a shift unless a cancelled season means current contracts are simply rolled over until the next season. Not sure what solution has been suggested should that dismal scenario play out.

Chicago
Tampa Bay
NY islanders
Toronto
Arizona

There are a few others that are at or above the cap after factoring the resigned RFA want to keep.

Thrn there are teams with cap space besides Detroit and Ottawa who could eat some sort term salary and gain something for doing that. These teams can only go 1-2 yrs in contracts because they know they can have RFAs to resign themselves. They hope by then cap goes up, but they can’t assume it.

If m surprised in the extended CBA they didn’t authorize another round of CBOs that are off the books.

I think it's more difficult than ever to make a trade because of a flat cap, declining revenues, and uncertainty regarding the coming season. The NHL is making happy talk, but there is a distinct possibility that the 20-21 season is played to empty seats, and is shortened, if not cancelled.

The games likely occur with low capacity fans at around 25%. ( depending on local regulations)

I don’t see the season cancelled.

Positive Vibes

im just here to argue
Jun 24, 2016
Depths of Hell
Same thing every year. Lots of rumors and speculation of teams running rampant with the trades... Then nothing happens.

It'll be the same this year, maybe even slower considering many teams have essentially no cash available.
people say this every year and its normally true, but this year more than ever teams NEED to make moves.

also people seem to be ignoring a actual Gms comments.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Rockmorton

Oct 26, 2011
I think we're seeing the "cone of silence" right now. Any major deals are going to be announced at the draft and most teams involved wont want the beans spilled.

Reactions: The don godfather

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
I think we're seeing the "cone of silence" right now. Any major deals are going to be announced at the draft and most teams involved wont want the beans spilled.

I will bet on minimal activity. I honestly think the uncertainty around next season, start dates, COVID surge and flat cap will contribute to low trade volume.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
I think its also hard because so many of the dates hit at the same time.
Qualifying guys, draft, free agency. All in like a 3 day window.

I think its probably hard to work on all the scenarios at the same time.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003

I am going to applaud you for your post as you seem to be the first poster to acknowledge the current economic environment and the upcoming economic uncertainties associated with the season. It took nearly three pages for someone to bring it up, with all the talk focused on the hard cap or conservative owners.

It really makes me wonder just how incredibly sheltered and naive a number of posters are on this board.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I honestly think there is no calm before the storm. Treliving said the uncertainty is going to prevent a lot of moves. I've always thought NHL was conservative. Media always likes to build up the excitement but it'll be a dud.
This. Trade and off-season free agent movement this year will be minimal and underwhelming.

RoyalDoubleMcCheesie

Aug 31, 2008
Isn't there a quote from a GM or someone saying that the trade action wouldn't start to pick up until after the draft.
I could be wrong tho.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
I can’t see many trades done until after free agency has settled. Teams should not be willing to give up assets to trade for players when they can sign a UFA without giving up any assets. Keep in mind that this year the players (UFAs) have very little leverage compared to any other years past.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Honestly, I don't know. Seems like we hear this kind of talk every year and it mostly falls flat. I know this offseason is "different" but I would be shocked to see multiple stars like OEL, Laine, Gaudreau, Boeser, Eichel, etc. change teams in the same offseason.

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
I think the teams with available cap space are playing hardball. Time is on their side. It’s better for them to let free agency start first.

Reactions: Boxscore

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Half a world away, it's 7.15 pm and I'm heading out, back by 11.30 pm. Fully expect this place to be shut down due to:
Eichel moved to NY.
Two, no three goalies moved.
Leafs get a right hand D not named Alex Pietrangelo.
OEL.
A few RFAs signed (hello Tampa)
A big surprise...big.

One can hope :DD

odishabs

Aug 29, 2008
Predictions:

Anderson to the Habs
Virtanen to the Sabres
Murray to the Hawks
Fleury to the Wild
Puljujarvi to the Oilers (he back)
Johnsson to the Sharks (leafs Johnsson)
Strome to the Jackets
F. Anderson to the Hurricanes
Mrazek to the Oilers
Ekman-Larsson to the Canucks

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com
Predictions:

Anderson to the Habs
Virtanen to the Sabres
Murray to the Hawks
Fleury to the Wild
Puljujarvi to the Oilers (he back)
Johnsson to the Sharks (leafs Johnsson)
Strome to the Jackets
F. Anderson to the Hurricanes
Mrazek to the Oilers
Ekman-Larsson to the Canucks

That would be an amazing fit.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Honestly, I don't know. Seems like we hear this kind of talk every year and it mostly falls flat. I know this offseason is "different" but I would be shocked to see multiple stars like OEL, Laine, Gaudreau, Boeser, Eichel, etc. change teams in the same offseason.
Is anyone expecting all those particular guys, outside of OEL if the few teams he willing to go to can somehow swing it, will actually be traded? I assumed the trades will lean more towards sad deals with retained salaries and swapping problems like Florida and Pittsburgh did. I have low expectations for glitzy fun big deals but I would enjoy being wrong about that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad