Speculation: Trades: The Calm before the storm?

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
This has been one of the quietest week's before the Draft I have seen in awhile, which is quite odd considering the cap restraints, and so many teams looking to move players due to the uncertainty of so many situations.

Other than a few OEL tidbits, and Laine speculation, it's been very quiet.

I think this is personally a good sign, lots of years prior they had a ton of rumors, yet not much got done.
Day 1 of the draft last year was a good example of that.

What do you all think? Is this gonna be a massive trade year, or just stay quiet for the next week give or take a few deals.

NYI365

Let's Go Islanders!
Jun 5, 2011
Merrick, NY
I think a lot of teams need to make cap/financial related moves in short order (I.E. Tampa, Isles, Arizona etc.) and teams are being patient to see what the post-COVID related market looks like with a flat cap. I would agree in the sense that once one or two "significant" trades are made and the market is set more in stone, then the trades should be coming down in short order.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Same thing every year. Lots of rumors and speculation of teams running rampant with the trades... Then nothing happens.

It'll be the same this year, maybe even slower considering many teams have essentially no cash available.

I mean, multiple teams are over the cap. Something has to give or no teams will sign UFAs.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
The rumours are usually more exciting than the actual action. OEL likely moves but I’m not sure what other blockbusters can realistically get done. You’ll likely just see a few cap dumps like the Maatta one and positional logjam trades like Matt Murray.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Same thing every year. Lots of rumors and speculation of teams running rampant with the trades... Then nothing happens.

It'll be the same this year, maybe even slower considering many teams have essentially no cash available.

This.

There will certainly be trades, but I think the "capaggeddon" people are expecting from Covid and the flat cap won't really be a thing.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006

Well, we will see trades, but will we see as many as we’ve been promised? That I’m not sure. Over the next week there will be plenty to talk about, that’s for sure.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
That’s what I’m thinking too. The Canucks for example still have three UFA’s and some RFA’s to decide on one way or the other. I think the dam breaks soon. And deals start to happen.

I imagine everyone is holding out until the draft. We’ll probably see an insane amount of movement Monday night and Tuesday.

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
I said earlier that the first big move the season will be the draft. Nobody has money to spend on free agents so no trades will happen until the free agents are signed it’ll probably be a quiet trade season as well. It’s more of a question of who blinks first. If nobody blinks then pretty much nothing will happen. In terms of the free agents available, you’ll see most of them take short term deals because they know they’re not going to be able to get a massive long-term deal at this time. Lots of 12 or three deals for me. Prices should fall for roster players, as there seems to be significantly more supply than demand. Great time for anyone trying to acquire these resources in trade.

Last edited:
Reactions: Morrison

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
I think we'll see a few moves at the draft, but most trades will happen after free agency is resolved since UFA are going to probably be cheaper than usual.

GM with $ will want to see what happens then...

BergevinBurner

Sep 27, 2019
With Bergevins comments and his moves so far it seems like he's looking to compete the next few seasons before Price and Weber completely fall off. So I'd be surprised if Montreal keeps their 1st pick and doesn't move it for some help up front.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Kind of doubt we're going to see as much action as people seem to be expecting. A flat cap means more teams will be risk averse the next couple years.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
The flat cap and trying to figure out who you expose/protect in next yrs expansion draft is hurting the trade market.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
This.

There will certainly be trades, but I think the "capaggeddon" people are expecting from Covid and the flat cap won't really be a thing.
I think we'll see a lot more of bad cap for bad cap trades. If you can't dip into free agency, you have to plug a roster need somehow. Trading guys with a bad contract for a guy in a similar situation on another team at another position, is a way to plug holes while being mostly cap neutral.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad