Speculation: Trades: The Calm before the storm?

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
I think we'll see a lot more of bad cap for bad cap trades. If you can't dip into free agency, you have to plug a roster need somehow. Trading guys with a bad contract for a guy in a similar situation on another team at another position, is a way to plug holes while being mostly cap neutral.

I could see that. I'm actually a little surprised that Detroit bailed out the Rangers with the Staal thing...especially for a second round pick next year. I feel like the bad teams should really be forcing the hands of good teams with their cap at this point. Maybe that is what is going on and why we are at a stalemate, I don't know.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
The rumours are usually more exciting than the actual action. OEL likely moves but I’m not sure what other blockbusters can realistically get done. You’ll likely just see a few cap dumps like the Maatta one and positional logjam trades like Matt Murray.
Best chance for him to OEL to move if some money retained...........

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
I feel like NHL Gms are a more spineless lot than other sports GMs
I believe the NHL is the only sport that uses a hard cap. The other sports uses different cap systems that basically push the players to do good or be cut and only get paid a portion of there contract its a very different cap system between the major sports.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
GM's are probably all a bit apprehensive about giving up assets in trades when they can get great deals in UFA instead.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I believe the NHL is the only sport that uses a hard cap. The other sports uses different cap systems that basically push the players to do good or be cut and only get paid a portion of there contract its a very different cap system between the major sports.
I believe he means in terms of willingness to upset others in order to improve their own team. Offer sheets are hilariously frowned upon for example.

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
It's like the draft.

Every year
'we'll likely see a lot of movement this year'
'this will be the most active draft we've seen'

And nothing

Never. Ever. Believe rumors or speculation you hear in the media. If it didn't happen, it didn't happen. End of story.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
I would agree

It's a conservative sport in that sense. Very few guys are willing to rock the boat out of fear

It's quite boring actually

So are the fans, looking at hfboard, lot of fans don t want to trade their 1sts or top prospects,see their players as far better players than what they are

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
The suspense is killing me.

I thought the flood gates would open after the Kapanen trade. I expect a lot of draft day trades.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
This has been one of the quietest week's before the Draft I have seen in awhile, which is quite odd considering the cap restraints, and so many teams looking to move players due to the uncertainty of so many situations.

Other than a few OEL tidbits, and Laine speculation, it's been very quiet.

I think this is personally a good sign, lots of years prior they had a ton of rumors, yet not much got done.
Day 1 of the draft last year was a good example of that.

What do you all think? Is this gonna be a massive trade year, or just stay quiet for the next week give or take a few deals.

I started a thread yesterday from a Columbus gm comment said that it might wait till after the draft before trades happen

Most trades occur historicallyaround72 hrs before the draft till the day after then it cools down till afterfree agency rush in signings.

This years seems different.

I know part of this are dominoes like on Doug have OEL and Dumba the two biggest trade Dmen. There might be trades lined up contingent on Dumba getting traded in Minnesota then theytrade for a RD to replace him.

Other teams looking to open up cap room for UFAs.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Trades won't happen until UFA sorts out the goaltending logjam. Notice how most of these trades are all about freeing up cap space right now.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Flat cap has scared GMs

Nobody wants to make a move because it might blow up in their face more so than usual

You'll see very few trades at the draft I think

You might not see many trades at the draft beyond pick trades, players might be included in these.

But teams are upersting on flat caps.

They can still make trades. The issue will be in UFA signings and terms where instead of players getting 4+ yrs st $20M+ offersthey instead get 2-3 yrdeals at much lower prices....especially the avg joe players.

This has happened in baseball and football. Your avg joe players are wheezed out of say the $3M-$5.5M contracts get replaced by ELC/low bridge players. Teams doesn’t automatically keep RFAsand instead play younger players.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
GM's are likely waiting to see what deals they can squeeze out of a few cap strapped teams. There are likely to be some real bargains there.
Personally i would take a cautious approach on acquiring players with 1 year of term left. It's a possibility (however slight) they never play a shift unless a cancelled season means current contracts are simply rolled over until the next season. Not sure what solution has been suggested should that dismal scenario play out.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad