Trades, Rumours + Expansion Theories: Off-Season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mellor683

Mar 30, 2012
I'd love to target the following:

1 of: Tanev, Hamonic, Demers, Dumba
1 of : Franson, kulikov, petrovic,

1 of: Boyle, dom Moore, Stajan, john Mitchell

1 of: Boone Jenner, Colin Wilson, Justin Williams ,Troy Brouwer.

Use bozak, jvr, kapenen, Carrick, draft picks and prospects as assets

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007

I think Demers belongs in category 2. Would also add Daley into the category 2. Don't want any of Dom Moore, Stajan, or Mitchell, Williams, or Brouwer, but would love Jenner and to a lesser extend Wilson.

One idea that was floated on the main boards is targeting Eric Haula out of Minny if they run into cap problems. Would be a very solid #3C /#4C.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto

Why would you target any of these players for our roster players / prospects or a combination of players that you have listed

neversaydie

Apr 6, 2016
Mississauga
Im on the Demers train. Don't think he would be horribly expensive asset-wise, and think he would be a good add to our D-Core without breaking the bank. Then again, Leafs brass may already be looking at Vatanen.

Mellor683

Mar 30, 2012
Why would you target any of these players for our roster players / prospects or a combination of players that you have listed

Need some sort of 4c. I don't think Boyle is coming back, so looking for and upgrade over Ben smith!

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
I like Demers. He would be a good mid-end option. de Haan would be another. I think he's better than Demers also. CDH has great defensive numbers (shot suppression and scoring chances against), but he's an lhd, so there's that.

A good value buy could be Pysyk. His defensive numbers are very good year after year and his price tag should be lower than both of the previous guys mentioned.

LondonKendrick

Jun 18, 2016
Trade JVR at the draft for a 1st, if the Leafs walk way with Liljegren or any two of Maker, Brannstrom, Valimaki or Foote, I'll be stoked

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Trade JVR at the draft for a 1st, if the Leafs walk way with Liljegren or any two of Maker, Brannstrom, Valimaki or Foote, I'll be stoked

Trade both JVR and Bozak. A couple 1st would pretty much assure us of a T4D. If you can solve the expansion draft issue and have some cap that can be used on a complimentary D and maybe Oshie, well, I doubt we will skip a beat.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I think Demers belongs in category 2. Would also add Daley into the category 2. Don't want any of Dom Moore, Stajan, or Mitchell, Williams, or Brouwer, but would love Jenner and to a lesser extend Wilson.

One idea that was floated on the main boards is targeting Eric Haula out of Minny if they run into cap problems. Would be a very solid #3C /#4C.

Definitely not. He's a poor man top pairing defenseman, in the same mold as Stralman essentially.

He's a lot better than the defenders in category 2, which appear to be bottom pairing defenders.

taurine330

Nov 28, 2015
Stockholm

I do not agree on trading Kapanen and Carrick. On the other hand Bozie and JvR are as good as gone for me.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I do not agree on trading Kapanen and Carrick. On the other hand Bozie and JvR are as good as gone for me.

It really is the no brainer. You don't want to pay Bozak 5m for his 50 pts and you don't want to give JVR 6+ for his 60 when defensively they are sort of weak. I think both would be excellent support for a team going for it.

Jvr would be an amazing get for Nashville next year. Bozak even could help them out and we can get that cost down to 2m or so each!

Chicago is a great fit for JVR and same with WSH. Both teams need to do it now but have cap constraints.

Add. I just want to say it has to be done prior to the season as well, you want the new group to be tested without those augments, it can not be a deadline and shouldn't need to be due to 2m price tags

Last edited:

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Definitely not. He's a poor man top pairing defenseman, in the same mold as Stralman essentially.

He's a lot better than the defenders in category 2, which appear to be bottom pairing defenders.

Oh yah? And so we then think his cost will be reasonable how?

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Darren Raddysh Overage RHD with Erie Otters free agent and Toronto Boy

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=162334

would be worth a look I think. Could just be a late bloomer we are shockingly weak on RHD depth. Tampa has his brother though and some places Vancouver are seen as the front runner. If I were him a team like Toronto is where I go, a good team that is young but also weak in my position its the perfect recipe to see NHL time when you get close to the NHL ready

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Oh yah? And so we then think his cost will be reasonable how?

Yah. He's a great top 4 defenseman that can handle tough minutes and assignments. Not your prototypical top pairing defenseman since he doesn't put up a lot of points but he contributes really well defensively and cuts down on shots against. Exactly what we need to be honest. He'd be a big upgrade over what Zaitsev provided us this past season.

I never said the cost would be reasonable, in my opinion anyway, and I don't even know why they would even consider trading him at this point. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense but maybe with Tallon taking the GM position back, he might want to change things up a bit? Who knows.

If they ever consider trading him for spare parts, we should be all over that.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
Demers would be a great addition!

Was 23rd in the league in shot suppression this past season.

Right handed, good size, good mobility, can put up 20-30 pts so he's not a black hole offensively.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
I never said the cost would be reasonable, in my opinion anyway, and I don't even know why they would even consider trading him at this point. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense but maybe with Tallon taking the GM position back, he might want to change things up a bit? Who knows.

Sounds as though it's just an expansion draft issue.

They will protect Ekblad, Yandle and then 1 of Demers/Petrovic. Seeing as how Petrovic is younger and cheaper it's probably him.

I checked the Panthers board and they seem pretty resigned to the fact they will prob lose Demers for nothing as he will be left unprotected (they go 7/3/1 in ED list).

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

They will protect Ekblad, Yandle and then 1 of Demers/Petrovic. Seeing as how Petrovic is younger and cheaper it's probably him.

I checked the Panthers board and they seem pretty resigned to the fact they will prob lose Demers for nothing as he will be left unprotected (they go 7/3/1 in ED list).

Wouldn't they have to protect Pysyk as well?

It also put us in a tough spot to expose Carrick though... but I suppose taking back Demers would be worth while.

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
I'm not overly interested in trades this off season. I think our competitive advantage will be our depth in offense. Why give that up for picks? I'd rather add a FA defensive D and continue to grow from within.

If the move makes too much sense then sure, go for it. But otherwise I want to see 3 lines of offence again. I want the Bozak line getting sheltered offensive minutes with Marner. I want Kadri and Matthews sharing the heavy load.

And a guy like Alzner for ~5m per to play 22 mins and balance out our D. Let Dermott have sheltered minutes with Polak on the bottom pair and earn his way up the chart.

I'd be wiling to move JVR for futures if it's a good pick or prospect, only because I think Kapanen and Brown are able to take more minutes.

Last edited:

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

They also have Pysyk, but would much rather pay for Demers.

It's just a matter of what. If we could get him for a couple of prospects and maybe a pick we can recoup from trading away someone like Bozak or JvR (not a 1st, but maybe a 2nd), then I'd be for it I guess. Not a bad stop gap option until our in-house player we hopefully take in the 1st round comes through.

Soshnikov, Leipsic+?

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
would be worth a look I think. Could just be a late bloomer we are shockingly weak on RHD depth. Tampa has his brother though and some places Vancouver are seen as the front runner. If I were him a team like Toronto is where I go, a good team that is young but also weak in my position its the perfect recipe to see NHL time when you get close to the NHL ready

I agree, being an overage player he could be a good pick-up and a training camp tryout and if he needs more time to develop, the Marles would be able to give him a lot of playing time but your right, I read Vancouver may be a front runner to get him too.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Wouldn't they have to protect Pysyk as well?

It also put us in a tough spot to expose Carrick though... but I suppose taking back Demers would be worth while.

Or you could protect 4-4-1 and lose one of Leipsic, Leivo, or Rychel. It would also leave Komarov and Martin exposed.

I think the Leafs should be pursuing Demers if he is available.

Rielly - Demers
Gardiner - Zaitsev

That's a very solid group of d-men that could help take the team to the next level

Another option could be to offer a trade to Vegas - say Leipsic + 2017 4th round pick for Vegas to not take Carrick .. Give them an extra asset build their prospect pool with.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'm not overly interested in trades this off season. I think our competitive advantage will be our depth in offense. Why give that up for picks? I'd rather add a FA defensive D and continue to grow from within.

If the move makes too much sense then sure, go for it. But otherwise I want to see 3 lines of offence again. I want the Bozak line getting sheltered offensive minutes with Marner. I want Kadri and Matthews sharing the heavy load.

And a gut like Alzner for ~5m per to play 22 mins and balance out our D. Let Dermott have sheltered minutes with Polak on the bottom pair and earn his way up the chart.

I'd be wiling to move JVR for futures if it's a good pick or prospect, only because I think Kapanen and Brown are able to take more minutes.

Ugh. Komisarek 2.0.

And Polak is a UFA injured until at least October.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Or you could protect 4-4-1 and lose one of Leipsic, Leivo, or Rychel. It would also leave Komarov and Martin exposed.

I think the Leafs should be pursuing Demers if he is available.

Rielly - Demers
Gardiner - Zaitsev

That's a very solid group of d-men that could help take the team to the next level

Considering our depth upfront, it might be a bad idea to lose a forward instead of a defenseman. I'd rather lose any of Leispic, Leivo, Komarov, Martin or Rychel over Carrick.

I really like that top 4. Demers rounds it off very nicely.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

And a gut like Alzner for ~5m per to play 22 mins and balance out our D. Let Dermott have sheltered minutes with Polak on the bottom pair and earn his way up the chart.

Why not upgrade the Bozak line? The main reasons it needs sheltered is Bozak and JVR. For their age they are terrible defensively and have always been like this. As individuals with responsible players they are fine but as a group and add Mitch rookie mistakes its a nightmare. Mitch should be with Kadri like Nylander was to learn to be responsible and up his game against stiff competition. Nylander is 100% ready to start as a C.

Bottom line Bozak and JVR are not long term solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad