Trades/Proposals/Free Agents

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
"Reimer, could very likely be re-signed, and that's not a bad thing. If we trade him, we're lucky to get a 3rd for him. If we keep him, he's still got a chance of emerging as a starter."

We gave backup wonder 0-6-1 Bernier over $4M and he played horribly last year?

Bernier had a SV% over .915 in 5/7 months last year. That's at worth least Halak money, especially considering he's 3 years younger.

Don't blame him for the team's collapse. And don't blame him for his record this year. Do you know how many goals the Leafs have scored in games that Bernier started?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Bernier had a SV% over .915 in 5/7 months last year. That's at worth least Halak money, especially considering he's 3 years younger.

Don't blame him for the team's collapse. And don't blame him for his record this year. Do you know how many goals the Leafs have scored in games that Bernier started?

7 goals. I don't a 1.00 PPG bodes well for a goalie's confidence, especially when 4/7 of the games he played were like .930 SV%+.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
I didn't read the Zaitsev article, but would he intend to come over to the Leafs this season? Or is the intention to start next season.

OvenMittz*

So whats the deal with this kid?

He seems good and im hearing good stuff about him about only recently.

Why wasn't he drafted? and why is he being hyped by 1 or 2 good seasons?

There was a lot of fuss over Casey Bailey too. (He is playing fine but he got more hype then he should have)

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
So whats the deal with this kid?

He seems good and im hearing good stuff about him about only recently.

Why wasn't he drafted? and why is he being hyped by 1 or 2 good seasons?

There was a lot of fuss over Casey Bailey too. (He is playing fine but he got more hype then he should have)

There's a lot of players that are like that.

They make it seem like they're the next big great thing. The thing with Bailey is that there was nothing going well for the Leafs last year, so it might be the only bright spot.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
There's a lot of players that are like that.

They make it seem like they're the next big great thing. The thing with Bailey is that there was nothing going well for the Leafs last year, so it might be the only bright spot.

Panarin looks damn good so far. sometimes it works...

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Sounds like the Leafs have a pretty good shot at signing this kid. Videos look good, 23 years old, right hand shot, over 6 feet, great skater. Anyone see this kid play live anywhere? Would be a great pick up!

https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2015...-believes-zatisevs-going-to-toronto-friedman/

Certainly would be a nice "free wallet".

We also stand a good chance at Jimmy Vesey if he chooses to walk from the Preds (like Blake Wheeler or Justin Schultz walked after their NCAA career):

http://editorinleaf.com/2015/10/08/toronto-maple-leafs-jimmy-vesey/

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Well Robidas is on permanent injury reserve for the rest of his contract so that's one down already.

Polak and Bozak could be traded by American Thanksgiving. If not, they are gone by the TDL most likely.

Reimer will most likely be gone by the TDL as well. Bernier may be kept around though since he is a good goalie and Bibeau may need some more time.

Lupul and Phaneuf, if they continue their seasons, will probably have buyers by the TDL or offseason.

Problem solved. We've got a lot more than just them to worry about though. Mainly, Kadri needs to score more than once every 70 shots.

It's going to take another few years. Our next wave of youngsters aren't even in the NHL. Most of them will be a few years before they're ready for prime roles.

Robidas is still on the books through next year.

Gleason buyout counts for 2 more after this season.

The market for Lupul + Bozak is probably negative right now. They are very useful insulator placeholders. We'll deal them out deadline of next season or the last season of their deals.

Around the time Gleason, Lupul, Bozak come off the books is when we could start being a very good team.

Phaneuf we should keep for a while. His deal drops off significantly in real dollars so he won't be that hard to deal in a few seasons. If there is anything we should be okay overpaying for its a quality blueliner who is as competitive as him and who plays with an edge.

All the pending UFAs with the possible exception of Reimer should be dealt for whatever we can get. I don't consider Reimer a key piece but the goalie UFA market is brutal next off-season.

I'd also float the idea of selling high on Hunwick as teams overpay for Dmen more than anything else at the deadline.

If we can get a top notch asset in return Kadri, Gardiner, JVR, Pens 1st are the top assets we've got and I don't consider any of them key core pieces.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
You still need players that aren't part of the core...Chicago had Versteeg, Buff, Saad, Ladd etc.

Kadri, JvR etc fall into those categories. Good if you can keep them under 5M contracts, otherwise bye bye.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Well Robidas is on permanent injury reserve for the rest of his contract so that's one down already.

Polak and Bozak could be traded by American Thanksgiving. If not, they are gone by the TDL most likely.

Reimer will most likely be gone by the TDL as well. Bernier may be kept around though since he is a good goalie and Bibeau may need some more time.

Lupul and Phaneuf, if they continue their seasons, will probably have buyers by the TDL or offseason.

Problem solved. We've got a lot more than just them to worry about though. Mainly, Kadri needs to score more than once every 70 shots.
I have zero problems getting rid of Kadri.

OvenMittz*

I have zero problems getting rid of Kadri.

I don't mind Kadri staying if the price is right and term. I just don't trust his consistency and fear his character issues will come back after he gets his contract (i could be wrong).

But the only player untouchable on this team is Rielly to me.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
I don't mind Kadri staying if the price is right and term. I just don't trust his consistency and fear his character issues will come back after he gets his contract (i could be wrong).

Agreed on this.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013

That's in the next 11 days then. It's possible I suppose, but seems doubtful.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad

Yeah, same for me. He had a period at the start of last season when he looked to have turned a corner but the season ended in him playing poorly and him being suspended by both the team and the league.

I simply dont trust him. I do enjoy watching him play right now but will it continue. Is he some one a team should sign long term?

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
You still need players that aren't part of the core...Chicago had Versteeg, Buff, Saad, Ladd etc.

Kadri, JvR etc fall into those categories. Good if you can keep them under 5M contracts, otherwise bye bye.

Its funny how all four of those players have been traded :laugh:

Also, Saad and Versteeg were around about as long as Kane and Toews were... Same with Buff and Ladd for that matter. The only guys that really were around during the hard times (and are still around) were Keith and Seabrook.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

I'd move Rielly ... if someone offered up 1st. overall pick in 2016, or McDavid, or ...

Everything is for sale, it is determining the price that is the challenge.

Obviously, you don't dump assets for nothing, and Kadri and Bozak are in the same boat, get value back.

Abdelkader 7*4.25 after this year, Bozak 4.5, and 4.0 after this year.
Even throwing Bozak into the scrap heap with Parenteau and Matthias he still is putting up the same PPG.

I think some people are writing off Bozak based on other than his performance reasons.

Kadri is a very good support player, and a team that has a 1st. line could easily slide him into the 2nd. line, 3rd. line on a good team. (He isn't knocking someone like Kopitar or Carter out of the top 6!!!)

Everything has a price, just need a buyer and a seller.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
I'd move Rielly ... if someone offered up 1st. overall pick in 2016, or McDavid, or ...

Obviously, you don't dump assets for nothing, and Kadri and Bozak are in the same boat, get value back.

Even throwing Bozak into the scrap heap with Parenteau and Matthias he still is putting up the same PPG.

I think some people are writing off Bozak based on other than his performance reasons.

Kadri is a very good support player, and a team that has a 1st. line could easily slide him into the 2nd. line, 3rd. line on a good team. (He isn't knocking someone like Kopitar or Carter out of the top 6!!!)

You've managed to cover both the most unrealistic and obvious here within just one comment. Of COURSE Rielly is available for McDavid. OF COURSE it takes a buyer and seller to make a trade. :laugh:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
You've managed to cover both the most unrealistic and obvious here within just one comment. Of COURSE Rielly is available for McDavid. OF COURSE it takes a buyer and seller to make a trade. :laugh:

Yep, it always comes down to price.

The untouchable tag is written in pencil, Rielly could be had for less than a McDavid, but more than an O'Reilly, and there is a lot between those 2! :laugh:

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Brayden Schenn could be traded soon. He was a healthy scratch yesterday despite being one of the Flyers' top scorers.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Brayden Schenn could be traded soon. He was a healthy scratch yesterday despite being one of the Flyers' top scorers.

I wouldn't mind Schenn if the price was right. I think Babcock could deploy him as a much better offensive Spaling. Big minutes against top lines freeing up Kadri/JVR.

OvenMittz*

wait you would trade Rielly for a 1st?

Isn't that a lateral move? Rielly was a 1st rounder and is playing like a 1st rounder right now.

Maybe for 2 1sts lol. Although that would be good value, i wouldn't really want to see him go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad