Trades/Proposals/Free Agents

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
The Zaitsev talk reeks of player agent hype. In this case the notorious Mark Gandler.

His scouting report and stats from the KHL are incredibly good for his age though.

Zaitsev has been on the radar of many teams over the last few years but opted to stay in the KHL by signing a 2 (or 3?) year deal at the time, which is coming up at the end of this year. If he had an out clause, he would have been able to sign with us.

At the end of the day, even if he 'busts', I think you sign those kind of players 10 times out of 10 and see what you can develop out of them.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
I wouldn't expect more than a Corrado/Marincin type player out of him. He might be bottom pairing, or he might be good enough to be 2nd pairing. For a young RHD that costs nothing to acquire, that's pretty great. I just wouldn't be penciling him in as Rielly's partner for the future just yet.

There's also the adaptation from the KHL ice/game to the NHL. Defenseman tend to have a harder time making the transition.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
His scouting report and stats from the KHL are incredibly good for his age though.

Zaitsev has been on the radar of many teams over the last few years but opted to stay in the KHL by signing a 2 (or 3?) year deal at the time, which is coming up at the end of this year. If he had an out clause, he would have been able to sign with us.

At the end of the day, even if he 'busts', I think you sign those kind of players 10 times out of 10 and see what you can develop out of them.

No harm no foul. Take advantage of every free wallet. Leafs look to be stacked on D next year with Percy, Loov and Granberg all knocking on the door, with youngsters such as Harrington and Marincin being mainstays on the blueline. Not to mention Corrado.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
Is it me or does Edmonton and Toronto make so muh sense as trade partners?

lol i think it might just be you.

they cant help us with goaltending or defense and the only forwards that could help us are former 1st overall picks and likely not available.

toronto needs a contending team not a rebuilding team to trade with.

Dugath

Jan 9, 2014
What exactly do they want from us, and vice versa, that would make so much sense?

I am no GM or hockey guru but I think LA or Philly would be a better fit for the Leafs for making any deals.

Edmonton.. well.. they are the black hole that sucks away the careers of top end draft picks. Just saying. ;)

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007

they cant help us with goaltending or defense and the only forwards that could help us are former 1st overall picks and likely not available.

Bingo. JVR+ for all of Anaheim's prospects.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Edmonton isn't rebuilding anymore, at least not in the sense that they want young/future assets back in trades. They are trying to take the next step. They are now 0-3, so I would definitely see them making a panic trade. I doubt Chiarelli wants to start off with another bottom 5 year.

With that said, we don't have many quality players they need. They are loaded with wingers and I doubt our centers would help them at all. Phaneuf would probably be the only piece I see them being somewhat interested in and he could probably help them a lot.

Maybe Phaneuf and Carrick/Panik for Ference (dump), Percell (dump) and Draisaitl? I dunno.

Last edited:

RLF

May 5, 2014
If we are not really going to use Polak...the bruins are hurting on D.

To Bruins
Polak, Arcobello

To Leafs
Kelly, 2016 2nd(NYI)

Thoughts?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

To Bruins
Polak, Arcobello

To Leafs
Kelly, 2016 2nd(NYI)

Thoughts?

Looks like they might retool/rebuild if things don't go well. They are all ready shopping Marchand and Chara. I doubt they give up a pick or two for someone like Polak.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto

Edmonton are growing impatient. They want to start winning now not later. Another bottom 5 finish would be a killer for that club's entire upper management. I think that's why some suggest them as a trade partner. Edmonton needs a few quality NHL vets to turn a corner.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON

To Bruins
Polak, Arcobello

To Leafs
Kelly, 2016 2nd(NYI)

Thoughts?

I think the Bruins are in a similar spot to where the Canucks are at in the West.

The Bruins need to bring in their young stars to start replacing the aging forwards, but haven't really committed to one thing or another.

I think that if the Bruins are actually looking to trade Chara (as per reports) then I'm not sure Polak is someone they would be looking for. He does, however, fit the mold of a typical Boston Bruin defenceman.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
Polak would be good for a lot of teams

Pitt needs a lot of help on d and has a couple contracts in dupius and kunitz they'd probably like to move .....maybe include Bozak somehow and they could roll a 1st line of malkin/Crosby and then Bozak /Kessel

Polak for Dupuis, Sundqvist and 4th
- saves them 1 mill in cap space and helps solidfy the d.
- leafs get a solid young, big , two way C

Edm needs youth for vets
- Phanuef and Frattin for Ference, Nikitin, 2nd, prospect (Yakimov)

Last edited:

RLF

May 5, 2014
Looks like they might retool/rebuild if things don't go well. They are all ready shopping Marchand and Chara. I doubt they give up a pick or two for someone like Polak.

I realize that, but right now their kids on D are being thrown to the wolves...not a positive experience for them. Polak and ARC are on the last year of their deals, they could easily get back what they lost in this deal at the TDL by moving Polak and Arc then.

RLF

May 5, 2014
I think the Bruins are in a similar spot to where the Canucks are at in the West.

The Bruins need to bring in their young stars to start replacing the aging forwards, but haven't really committed to one thing or another.

I think that if the Bruins are actually looking to trade Chara (as per reports) then I'm not sure Polak is someone they would be looking for. He does, however, fit the mold of a typical Boston Bruin defenceman.

bolded...then wouldn't that be the perfect time to bring in Polak and get picks and prospects for Chara?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
jvr + kadri for gibson+ ritchie + 1st+ stoner....please

Anaheim certainly doesn't need Kadri (especially at his asking price for next year) and you can forget about Gibson.

JVR and Polak for Theodore, Stoner or Cogliano (big dump at this point I'd say), Sekac, a 1st round pick in 2016 and a conditional 3rd round pick (if Polak re-signs, if he doesn't then it turns into a 4th). I'd be comfortable with something like this I think, all though I hate the the thought of receiving back 2-3 year dumps like Stoner or Cogliano.

I dunno. It just feels like a lot of you are expecting a world class return for JVR but I think a 1st and a top prospect is what I expect as the base for him.

Last edited:

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Anaheim certainly doesn't need Kadri (especially at his asking price for next year) and you can forget about Gibson.

JVR and Polak for Theodore, Stoner or Cogliano (big dump at this point I'd say), Sekac, a 1st round pick in 2016 and a conditional 3rd round pick (if Polak re-signs, if he doesn't then it turns into a 4th). I'd be comfortable with something like this I think, all though I hate the the thought of receiving back 2-3 year dumps like Stoner or Cogliano.

I dunno. It just feels like a lot of you are expecting a world class return for JVR but I think a 1st and a top prospect is what I expect as the base for him.

That might be the base but we would most certainly think about retaining too. The goal is to get Ritchie, Theodore and their 1st. With 50% retained on JVR that might be possible, give or take some other pieces.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
That might be the base but we would most certainly think about retaining too. The goal is to get Ritchie, Theodore and their 1st. With 50% retained on JVR that might be possible, give or take some other pieces.

With the Kessel retention and Dion still on the team, we can't really afford to use a retention slot on a medium to long term contract. The gain in value from JVR, who's already on a good contract, would be more than counteracted by the restrictions it places on us in the future.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
With the Kessel retention and Dion still on the team, we can't really afford to use a retention slot on a medium to long term contract. The gain in value from JVR, who's already on a good contract, would be more than counteracted by the restrictions it places on us in the future.

Fair enough. I'd still be looking at that package though. Theodore is NHL ready, as is Ritchie.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009

cant see the leafs retaining on a 60 point $4.25 million player.

i think jvr = 1st + ritchie

not sure how to get theodore in the mix without giving up something good. ie better then polak who maybe is worth a 2nd.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA

What do we have to offer a contending team?

It's been widely posted that any of our "core" couldn't play on a contender, and the rest of the vets can't crack the the top 6 or 4 of a bottom of the barrel line up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad