GDT: Trades & Free Agency Thread - Off-Season Early Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Weather is bloody exciting I can tell you :laugh:

Bogo would be a good signing, I'm looking for that calming vet presence you can staple a rookie to
Yikes! No kidding!!

Yeah, I was not a big fan of the Bogo signing originally, but by the end of the season he won me over big time. Loved his play. I'd even go to 2 years, $1.75-$2 AAV for him.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
This makes absolutely zero sense on any rational level. Anyone remember Florida and Columbus trying to outsmart the draft process with Vegas? This is that level bad. Why would we give them 2 mid-20's roster players at the age when breakouts typically happen and only take back middling picks for one? Makes absolutely zero sense on any asset management level.

Let them pick ONE player, and move on afterwards. Either our 8th forward or 4th D. Leave Simmonds and Spezza exposed, along with Holl and Dermott....and move one once you lose one of the D men.

If I'm the Leafs, I say to the Kraken that we choose who you can have for allowing them to take Hakstol from us. Then tell them they can have Dermott. Sandin replaces Dermott. Zero roster impact. Leafs have $8 million in space left after, plus all assets.

Seriously, I don't get the infatuation with trying to play the system. The only ones who didn't get burned with Vegas are the ones who let them pick ONE player.

The idea is that the return you get for trading Kerfoot and paying that 2 mill bonus exceeds the return you get for a guy we are likely trading to some other team anyways but lose in expansion instead, such as Engvall or Malgin. We are in the same spot we would have been, but with a lot more assets because we are leveraging our cash by trading Kerfoot to Seattle instead of having him taken in expansion and having Seattle pay us the SB back.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I hope we just go 7-3-1 and let Seattle take who they take. These zany schemes always end up with an ACME anvil dropping on your head.

Reactions: kb

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I hope we just go 7-3-1 and let Seattle take who they take. These zany schemes always end up with an ACME anvil dropping on your head.

my guess is that we may be in on kuemper.
And are protecting kerfoot to trade for him (750k in real dollars this year).
But we will see

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
my guess is that we may be in on kuemper.
And are protecting kerfoot to trade for him (750k in real dollars this year).
But we will see

ARI is going to protect Kuemper, and I don't think they want Kerfoot. The fact they traded Hill, a guy who could realistically be their goalie of the future, shows their commitment to Kuemper at least for the near future.

Reactions: hockeynorth

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
ARI is going to protect Kuemper, and I don't think they want Kerfoot. The fact they traded Hill, a guy who could realistically be their goalie of the future, shows their commitment to Kuemper at least for the near future.

they seem to think otherwise in Arizona. Apparently he has already said he won’t sign. I don’t get it either but apparently it’s basically scorched earth there

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Barring any expansion consideration trades with SEA, a 7-3-1 is obviously the way to go.

Who should be the 7th F? I'd lean towards Joey Anderson just because of the extra year at league minimum

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Barring any expansion consideration trades with SEA, a 7-3-1 is obviously the way to go.

Who should be the 7th F? I'd lean towards Joey Anderson just because of the extra year at league minimum
I’d go Joey Anderson too

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

I would not be surprised to see Joey Anderson in our lineup next year.

kb

Aug 28, 2009

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013

After the big four, Kerfoot, and McCann, I would say the next person up to protect would be Engvall.

However, I would intentionally leave Engvall exposed. Though the chance is slim that Seattle would take Engvall over Holl/Dermott, but if they end up with a ton of good D (McDonagh might be exposed for instance, maybe they say meh and choose the depth forward. It's not likely they'd go that way, but why not give them the option?

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013

horner

May 22, 2007
If we trade Kerfoot and Engvall
Lose Dermot in the expansion draft
That will give us an extra 6.5 mil
Cap space 13 mil
Trade for Sam Bennett 2.5 mil
Sign
Coleman 4.5 mil
Goaltender ?

Coleman Mathews Marner
Bennett Taveras Nylander
Simmons McCann Mik
Anderson Spezza Brooks

Mo Brodie
Muzzin Holl
Sandin Liljegren

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Seattle took our assistant coach. Very unlikely the Leafs don’t know who they are losing. I am sure that was discussed as part of the agreement to let him go.

The coach may have an opinion on who he'd prefer but that's something the GM and scouts should make the ultimate decision on imo, those are the guys building that team and know what's available league wide

I think we have an agreement in place but I think that's been decided between the two front offices with the coaches opinions taken into account

Leafs1991

Nov 17, 2015
If we trade Kerfoot and Engvall
Lose Dermot in the expansion draft
That will give us an extra 6.5 mil
Cap space 13 mil
Trade for Sam Bennett 2.5 mil
Sign
Coleman 4.5 mil
Goaltender ?

Coleman Mathews Marner
Bennett Taveras Nylander
Simmons McCann Mik
Anderson Spezza Brooks

Mo Brodie
Muzzin Holl
Sandin Liljegren
No way Coleman gets 4.5 a year

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
So that Kapanen trade now looks like:

PIT:
Kapanen
7th round pick in 2022

TOR:
PIT 1st, 15th OA (Rodion Amirov)
Jared McCann

IMO we've still clearly won this deal. Amirov is a legit top-tier prospect for us, and McCann is a very very solid middle 6 player. He can definitely play 2nd line, he can play center or wing, and he's fast and good with the puck. I may even suggest he's at the same level as Kapanen in terms of skill and output. They both had the same PPG this past year. My limited understanding of Hallander was that he wasn't taking big steps forward this year in terms of development.

Very very good trade for us.

Reactions: Lumberg
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad