Rumor: Trade Thread XVI: Callahan looking for $6.85M+ AAV?

• Thread starter BarbaraAlphanse
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
that is completely untrue. they started negotiations over the summer but its been said that cally's demands haven't budged since August. negotiations haven't moved since then cause sather opted to not bid against himself

Out of curiousity, where was this reported? I hadn't heard anything about Cally until after Hank was signed.

BarbaraAlphanse

5 x 6 is definitely within the realm of what he's worth.

And I think it's in HIS best interest to take the 5 year deal.

I think he could easily play until he's 38, albeit maybe not nearly as effective as he is now.

Scenario 1 - He takes a 7 year deal on the market, somewhere, for 6 mill per. He'll be 36 for his next contract, going on 37. By that point, his flaws and deteriorations will likely be very evident, and he'll be looking 1-2 year deals worth significantly less than he's making now (let alone after his extension). So let's say he signs 7 x 6 and then 2 x 1.5 and then calls it a career. 45 mill for 9 years.

Scenario 2 - He takes a 5 year deal with the Rangers, or somewhere, for 6 mill per. He'll be 34 for his next contract, going on 35. It will be much easier for him to maintain a certain demand for his next contract if his sample size is limited to 5 years. Let's say he remains healthy for all 5 years and he produces 55, 55, 50, 50, and 45 points for the years of his extension - also not beyond belief. A cup contender, maybe even still the Rangers, could look at that, look at his leadership and his intangibles, and offer him a 4 year deal for let's say 4 mill per. So 5 X 6 + 4 x 4 would make it 46 mill for 9 years.

He actually makes out better in scenario 2.

Now let's say at the end of year 5 the salary cap has gone up - i.e lets prorate the contract a little. The concept still applies. Let's say he makes 2.5 instead of 1.5 and 5 instead of 4. He still ends up with more money in scenario 2.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Out of curiousity, where was this reported? I hadn't heard anything about Cally until after Hank was signed.

Brooks had it...

But the captain is holding firm to a request/demand of a seven-year extension worth a minimum of $42 million he first presented over the summer. Sather has no intention of signing the embodiment of the organization’s work ethic to a seven-year extension.

http://nypost.com/2014/01/31/rangers-want-callahans-future-decided-before-sochi/

Boom Boom Geoffrion*

Some of you guys are just not cut out for the business side of things. You let your emotions hang out. My idols growing up retired. New players were brought in. They retired. It's a cycle.

The bottom is what's best for the team. 7 year contract is best for Callahan, but not for the team.

On a personal level I wouldn't have hated a 5/30 contract as long as it didn't have a NMC. But that's a moot point.

Callahan's earned his payday by doing what the previous generation of overpaid losers didn't. Busting his ass, giving his all, and doing whatever he physically could to help the team. Unfortunately, that commitment also hurt him.

I don't think his career will resemble Drury's to the T. Drury played a lot more hockey by 28 than Callahan has. There were more miles on that engine. But you can't ignore Cally's injury history and just hope for the best. You have to think down the road.

Now, that Sather is doing just that, you guys ***** and complain.

There is no happy medium here, is there?

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Can we all please stop using the word "fair"?

Fair is whatever one can get for his services, not what you'd like to happen to benefit you personally. This is why everyone thinks their own salary is unfairly low. Fair doesn't mean "my benefit".

I get that it would be best for the Rangers to pay Callahan the minimum wage, maybe take him off the books and pay him what illegal immigrants get. But that doesn't mean it fair.

If Cally can get $6.5 a year from another team and accepts only $6 from us, not only is he being fair, he's doing us a favor. That you may think he "deserves" $5 is no more relevant than my theory that he should be getting paid the minimum wage with no health benefits.

Agreed. If Callahan can get 7 years from somebody, he should go for it.

I think part of the issue is this type of situation is pretty jarring for Ranger fans. Think about it. How many times has this team had a homegrown cornerstone type player come up for free agency? The Rangers are usually on the other side of this equation ready to snap up players on the market.

Jun 25, 2013
www.tannerglassisthebest.com
Some of you guys are just not cut out for the business side of things. You let your emotions hang out. My idols growing up retired. New players were brought in. They retired. It's a cycle.

The bottom is what's best for the team. 7 year contract is best for Callahan, but not for the team.

On a personal level I wouldn't have hated a 5/30 contract as long as it didn't have a NMC. But that's a moot point.

Callahan's earned his payday by doing what the previous generation of overpaid losers didn't. Busting his ass, giving his all, and doing whatever he physically could to help the team. Unfortunately, that commitment also hurt him.

I don't think his career will resemble Drury's to the T. Drury played a lot more hockey by 28 than Callahan has. There were more miles on that engine. But you can't ignore Cally's injury history and just hope for the best. You have to think down the road.

This

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

In the end, we all just root for pieces of laundry.

Regarding Sather's direction, if he trades Callahan instead of giving him a 7 year deal, Id support is wholeheartedly. Thats the right move for the organization.

Ill reserve my right to ***** when he ****s it up in free agency.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Cally should go and get the most years and cash he can get, he doesn't owe the Rangers anything. If he doesn't feel the Rangers five year deal is enough, I have no problem with that. I'm actually quite happy he is not accepting the five year deal, hopefully a team can agree to a deal with him so the Rangers can get more in a trade.

BarbaraAlphanse

1) I wouldn't blame Cally for leaving. I wouldn't blame Sather for trading him. The fan in me wants him to take that discount and continue being here. The realist in me tells me 7 years cannot be accepted from the Rangers management.
2) Where about in Greece are you, I have relatives that live there.

Jun 25, 2013
Cally should go and get the most years and cash he can get, he doesn't owe the Rangers anything. If he doesn't feel the Rangers five year deal is enough, I have no problem with that. I'm actually quite happy he is not accepting the five year deal, hopefully a team can agree to a deal with him so the Rangers can get more in a trade.

Out with the old in with the new.... our core has and is changing on a rapid pace

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
And anyone else's intake is?....I'm just preparing for what's ahead

It's a hockey board. it's discussion for discussion's sake. Generally we exchange ideas and opinions about the team and the players, and debate one point or another. Posting "bye bye cally" to the startling revelation that Callahan's agent let Sather know what he was looking for in August, and Sather saw fit to prioritize Lundqvist first, only makes it sound like you're rooting for him to be traded, and looking for circumstancial evidence that, after a healthy helping of confirmation bias, can be reasoned as some sort of indicatior one way or the other, or in this case, one very specific direction.

I can do it too. Watch. Sather gave certain teams the option to discuss contracts with Callahan's agent, but none of them have beaten Sather's offer. This is because Sather gave that persmission to teams he knew couldn't or wouldn't beat his offer. He did this intentionally to act as leverage in negotiations because he intends to resign Ryan, and wants to deter him from aiming for Free Agency.

Filling in the blanks to reach a conclusion to WANT to reach is easy, but it's just downright unscientific.

Jun 25, 2013
It's a hockey board. it's discussion for discussion's sake. Generally we exchange ideas and opinions about the team and the players, and debate one point or another. Posting "bye bye cally" to the startling revelation that Callahan's agent let Sather know what he was looking for in August, and Sather saw fit to prioritize Lundqvist first, only makes it sound like you're rooting for him to be traded, and looking for circumstancial evidence that, after a healthy helping of confirmation bias, can be reasoned as some sort of indicatior one way or the other, or in this case, one very specific direction.

I can do it too. Watch. Sather gave certain teams the option to discuss contracts with Callahan's agent, but none of them have beaten Sather's offer. This is because Sather gave that persmission to teams he knew couldn't or wouldn't beat his offer. He did this intentionally to act as leverage in negotiations because he intends to resign Ryan, and wants to deter him from aiming for Free Agency.

Filling in the blanks to reach a conclusion to WANT to reach is easy, but it's just downright unscientific.

But people can randomly *** about sather.... people these days :shakehead I'd rather trade if it means we get a nice package back for the future

Boom Boom Geoffrion*

Ill reserve my right to ***** when he ****s it up in free agency.

And I'll be right beside you, *****ing like a mad man, even throwing fecal matter while screaming at the top of my lungs. Kind of like the day we signed Redden. :scared:

1) I wouldn't blame Cally for leaving. I wouldn't blame Sather for trading him. The fan in me wants him to take that discount and continue being here. The realist in me tells me 7 years cannot be accepted from the Rangers management.
2) Where about in Greece are you, I have relatives that live there.

I'm in Connecticut now. I have family in athens and crete.

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
But people can randomly *** about sather.... people these days :shakehead I'd rather trade if it means we get a nice package back for the future

I wasn't defending people who randomly ***** about Sather. If you've got an arguement, you've got an arguement. The issue is, we ***** about actions before we see the outcome. We won't know how the Nash trade worked out for another 3-5 years. But we speculate.

I went on about it earlier, if they're looking to build for the future, great, build for the future, but don't half ass it. Every move Sather has made has been gearing up for a run, making the team as good as possible for the next few years. Trading Callahan now is a step in the other direction.

Win now, or rebuild. Half and Half gets you nowhere but limbo.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

I don't agree with the way you reason at all.

You are only arguing why we should not keep Cally. In short stating that there is a risk that he might not be worth what he gets.

The thing is, we got to pay someone. Will the option be better? A Stewart making Cally's money instead? A Wolski? A Frolov? A Marcel Hossa?

You always end up paying someone. As I am sure we all know, there are big risks with bringing in new guys too. There is no guarantee that they will be worth it either.

I definitely think Cally is very valuble to us and would be for years to come. He is only 28 y/o. There extreme market value he has will also apply for any alternative we get to replace him, be it a younger player who just are getting into arbitration years or another player. I definitely don't think its an easy decision to let him go.

Jun 25, 2013
I wasn't defending people who randomly ***** about Sather. If you've got an arguement, you've got an arguement. The issue is, we ***** about actions before we see the outcome. We won't know how the Nash trade worked out for another 3-5 years. But we speculate.

I went on about it earlier, if they're looking to build for the future, great, build for the future, but don't half ass it. Every move Sather has made has been gearing up for a run, making the team as good as possible for the next few years. Trading Callahan now is a step in the other direction.

Win now, or rebuild. Half and Half gets you nowhere but limbo.

I agree with you on the Nash part...that being said I'm very unsure what we will get in return for cally so I'm half assed if I want to keep cally or not:laugh:

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I don't agree with the way you reason at all.

You are only arguing why we should not keep Cally. In short stating that there is a risk that he might not be worth what he gets.

The thing is, we got to pay someone. Will the option be better? A Stewart making Cally's money instead? A Wolski? A Frolov? A Marcel Hossa?

You always end up paying someone. As I am sure we all know, there are big risks with bringing in new guys too. There is no guarantee that they will be worth it either.

I definitely think Cally is very valuble to us and would be for years to come. He is only 28 y/o. There extreme market value he has will also apply for any alternative we get to replace him, be it a younger player who just are getting into arbitration years or another player. I definitely don't think its an easy decision to let him go.

You touch upon a fear of mine, Ola, but its not enough to hand over a ransom to Callahan.

If the immediate reaction is a panicky "how do we replace this guy???!," the team is doomed for another structural failure. They need to realize this is the best longterm play for the club and make more moves that take that thinking into account going forward. Do it methodically. Don't approach the summer as if theres some silver bullet to replace Callahan.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Its all part of the negotiations. I think Rangers management has done a good thing here -- basically declaring that if he wants 7 years, it wont be here. I think the Olympic deadline is arbitrary -- still think it goes toward the deadline...but both parties are aware theres a breaking point.

I agree. I think Sather is handling this surprisingly well. 7 years is too much, he's offering 5 at the same yearly salary. That's not a lowball offer, it's a hefty amount of money for a more reasonable number of years. Let him talk to other teams. If there's a championship caliber team that's willing to do that 7 year contract, he's free to sign with them. Having said that, I'd be absolutely shocked to see a competitive and well-run team sign that contract. If Sather thinks a UFAs price is too high, that really says something, especially when that UFA is the captain of his team and a money maker in terms of jersey sales and team promotions.

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
I agree with you on the Nash part...that being said I'm very unsure what we will get in return for cally so I'm half assed if I want to keep cally or not:laugh:

What the offer is for him makes a huge difference. Stewart and a low pick? I'll pass.

If we can get a kings ransom from a team that's convinced they're a Ryan Callahan away from a cup, it changes things. A 3rd/2nd line tweener, a 1st and a solid prospect is tough to walk away from.

I advocate keeping Cally, showing faith in our players, and going for it. But we need Cally to say 5 years 30 mil is good with him.

GarretJoseph*

I want Callahan to stay with the Rangers on a deal that is good for both Cally & more importantly the NY Rangers.

I'm loyal to Rangers first and foremost.

I got over Leetch and Graves being traded, over Messier walking. I'll get over this.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

Have to agree with this. There is a great deal of posters who haven't the slightest idea of how things operate in a business. They see it from one side only. We all **** on Sather but he is running a business. What bothers me is those who jump to Callahans defense for looking out for his family by waiting for the extra 12 million (or something along those lines) No one is saying he is wrong for asking for 7 years but at this point he is looking a gift horse in the mouth (especially when the yearly amount of 6 million has been agreed upon). It frustrates me to no end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad