Rumor: Trade Thread XVI: Callahan looking for $6.85M+ AAV?

• Thread starter BarbaraAlphanse
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Callahan has been a warrior for us for years but it's hard to reward that loyalty in NHL. This isn't baseball.

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
Thats very fair.

That said, I dont know why you're *****ing when its Callahan's camp that wont come off 7 years and states theyll take this to free agency.

They gotta do whats in their best interests. The Rangers will do the same.

I'm just as irritated with Callahan's agent, if Cally's ignorance of the dealings is to be believed.

I'm annoyed by the apparent Olympic deadline. It's forcing an issue that could benefit from more time, and if all of this is posturing and negotion tactics, it's a pretty cutthroat way to do it. I'd think the homegrown, heart and soul captain would have earned a little more good-faith than that. I understand Sather doesn't want to get Parise'd, but there's another trade deadline.

There's also the abandonment of this season. There are some who'd make the team worse in the meantime to make it better in the future. With this current roster, I'm actually thinking balls out go for it. It's Richards last year, with a half dozen RFAs, and now possibly we're giving up Cally for picks and prospects? We're not going to have a team with this kind of talent for a while, I think. The DZ for Klein trade, maintaining Richards, Hank's contract: all signs point to win now. If you're going to rebuild, rebuild (or retool, whatever). If you're going all in, go all in. Trading Cally will not make us better this year, and just seems couter intuitive to everything Slats has done this year.

I'm a fan. I want to see them go into battle in the playoffs with everything they've got, ask Hank to get hot and give him the support he needs. But, again, that's me.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
It would simply be delaying the inevitable. If Callahan doesn't like what he hears from other teams on contract offers, maybe he signs the deal.

This is what really intrigues me... Is Sather waiting on Callahan's decision before he signs Girardi? If Cally signs, is Girardi's deal no longer on the table?

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
It would simply be delaying the inevitable. If Callahan doesn't like what he hears from other teams on contract offers, maybe he signs the deal.

This is what really intrigues me... Is Sather waiting on Callahan's decision before he signs Girardi? If Cally signs, is Girardi's deal no longer on the table?

I never thought of this.

I actually forgot about Girardi in all of this.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I'm just as irritated with Callahan's agent, if Cally's ignorance of the dealings is to be believed.

I'm annoyed by the apparent Olympic deadline. It's forcing an issue that could benefit from more time, and if all of this is posturing and negotion tactics, it's a pretty cutthroat way to do it. I'd think the homegrown, heart and soul captain would have earned a little more good-faith than that. I understand Sather doesn't want to get Parise'd, but there's another trade deadline.

There's also the abandonment of this season. There are some who'd make the team worse in the meantime to make it better in the future. With this current roster, I'm actually thinking balls out go for it. It's Richards last year, with a half dozen RFAs, and now possibly we're giving up Cally for picks and prospects? We're not going to have a team with this kind of talent for a while, I think. The DZ for Klein trade, maintaining Richards, Hank's contract: all signs point to win now. If you're going to rebuild, rebuild (or retool, whatever). If you're going all in, go all in. Trading Cally will not make us better this year, and just seems couter intuitive to everything Slats has done this year.

I'm a fan. I want to see them go into battle in the playoffs with everything they've got, ask Hank to get hot and give him the support he needs. But, again, that's me.

I think you are naive if u think we are anything more than a team capable winning a round or two. And that's with Callahan.

Im not content with that. But that's just me.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

Signing Callahan instead of Girardi would be colossal mistake.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

I think you're being extremely ignorant about this. You think Callahan isn't in the loop that the Rangers aren't giving him 7 years and they'll trade him if he doesnt take a 5 year deal before the deadline? Ha.

Still doesn't mean hes disloyal or deserves to be bashed, but blaming this on his agent is absurd.

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
I think you are naive if u think we are anything more than a team capable winning a round or two. And that's with Callahan.

Im not content with that. But that's just me.

I think alot of people see the game on paper. I also think alot of Rangers fans are embittered and afraid to hope.

But we've seen what happens when a team gets hot in the playoffs. With Hank in net, our defense apparently figuring out what Man- defense is, and all four lines clicking, yes, I think we can go for a run.

We've got 2 and a half lines going at the moment. the 3rd, the 4th, and Nash. 2 weeks ago, that 2nd line that's been awful lately was goal a game for something like 7 games.

If the 2012 Devils can make the finals, I'll believe anything.

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
I think you're being extremely ignorant about this. You think Callahan isn't in the loop that the Rangers aren't giving him 7 years and they'll trade him if he doesnt take a 5 year deal before the deadline? Ha.

Still doesn't mean hes disloyal or deserves to be bashed, but blaming this on his agent is absurd.

Hey, I did put "if Callahan's ignorance is to be believed".

I've got no way of knowing one way or the other. I'm sure he hears the offers, but as far as other team talking to his agent, he seemed pretty annoyed by it being mentioned, and claimed "that's news to me".

Is it possible he's feigning his involvment to displace attention? yeah, probable even. But I try my best not to form opinions based on speculation.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
The more I think about this, the more I start to wonder how much of the news the past few days is just theatre to put the pressure on and get this done. Callahan and his agent want 6x7, Sather wants 6x5. Is it possible that Sather knows what other teams are thinking about offering Callahan, and he's purposely letting them talk to his agent to see that good teams aren't going to take that term?

Yesterday, I was pretty sure Callahan was a goner. Today, I think it's just as likely that he's signed. What a wacky story this whole thing is. All I know for sure is that I want the team to keep the player, but absolutely not at the expense of a 6x7 contract. That's insane.

Kel Varnsen

Below: Nash's Heart
Sep 27, 2009
2008-09: 81 games played
2009-10: 77 games played
2010-11: 60 games played
2011-12: 76 games played
2012-13: 45(of 48) games played
2013-14: 39 (of 56) games played

4 out of 6 seasons, he missed no significant time. And I know the team is playing well now with the current lineup combinations, but I've been a fan of this team long enough to know that lines and units don't stay together forever. When things start to get stale, that will be the true test of how much this team needs or doesn't need Callahan.

2 of those 6 seasons were the first two seasons...

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
The more I think about this, the more I start to wonder how much of the news the past few days is just theatre to put the pressure on and get this done. Callahan and his agent want 6x7, Sather wants 6x5. Is it possible that Sather knows what other teams are thinking about offering Callahan, and he's purposely letting them talk to his agent to see that good teams aren't going to take that term?

Yesterday, I was pretty sure Callahan was a goner. Today, I think it's just as likely that he's signed. What a wacky story this whole thing is. All I know for sure is that I want the team to keep the player, but absolutely not at the expense of a 6x7 contract. That's insane.

Its all part of the negotiations. I think Rangers management has done a good thing here -- basically declaring that if he wants 7 years, it wont be here. I think the Olympic deadline is arbitrary -- still think it goes toward the deadline...but both parties are aware theres a breaking point.

Vidic15*

So we have a game Tuesday and a back to back Thursday, Friday. Hopefully this gets resolved over the next two days. Avs and Oilers are beatable. Pitt is a hit or miss away.

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
I think Girardi is staying. I think thats a given at this point.

And honestly, if callahan signs, with the way the line-up is playing. I don't see them making any moves. One of the 4th line players may for a pick or some nasty. But otherwise, if callahan is staying, who's line are you breaking up, things are rolling so much. Your not gonna break up the brassard-puo-zuc line are you right now. I know it seems short-sighted, but the team as constituted is kinda playing to its best potential. You try to get this roll going even stronger. The Rangers were 11-4-1 this month, with loses to Pitt, Tampa, St. Louis, then the Islanders, and a shootout loss to the Blue Jackets. It was a strong month.

Mr Atoz*

2008-09: 81 games played
2009-10: 77 games played
2010-11: 60 games played
2011-12: 76 games played
2012-13: 45(of 48) games played
2013-14: 39 (of 56) games played

4 out of 6 seasons, he missed no significant time. And I know the team is playing well now with the current lineup combinations, but I've been a fan of this team long enough to know that lines and units don't stay together forever. When things start to get stale, that will be the true test of how much this team needs or doesn't need Callahan.

Remember that one of those years he broke his leg at the end of the season blocking a Chara shot.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Can we all please stop using the word "fair"?

Fair is whatever one can get for his services, not what you'd like to happen to benefit you personally. This is why everyone thinks their own salary is unfairly low. Fair doesn't mean "my benefit".

I get that it would be best for the Rangers to pay Callahan the minimum wage, maybe take him off the books and pay him what illegal immigrants get. But that doesn't mean it fair.

If Cally can get $6.5 a year from another team and accepts only $6 from us, not only is he being fair, he's doing us a favor. That you may think he "deserves" $5 is no more relevant than my theory that he should be getting paid the minimum wage with no health benefits.

Baby Punisher

Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
The Rangers actually offered Callahan 30m over 5 years (6mil cap hit)!? Wow, that's drastic overpayment. Thank god Callahan is asking for me and the Rangers aren't budging.

That contract makes David Backes' look like a bargain.

At least Backes is on pace for a career year.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Is there any reason they didn't start negotiations in the beginning of the season?

that is completely untrue. they started negotiations over the summer but its been said that cally's demands haven't budged since August. negotiations haven't moved since then cause sather opted to not bid against himself

Let Blaine Die

Holden out 4 a hero
Jan 4, 2012
NYC

Maybe they're delaying the signing, or announcing, of Girardi's deal until after Callahan is determined b/c, if Callahan is traded, immediately announcing after that Girardi has re-signed will soften the blow a little.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Can we all please stop using the word "fair"?

Fair is whatever one can get for his services, not what you'd like to happen to benefit you personally. This is why everyone thinks their own salary is unfairly low. Fair doesn't mean "my benefit".

I get that it would be best for the Rangers to pay Callahan the minimum wage, maybe take him off the books and pay him what illegal immigrants get. But that doesn't mean it fair.

If Cally can get $6.5 a year from another team and accepts only $6 from us, not only is he being fair, he's doing us a favor. That you may think he "deserves" $5 is no more relevant than my theory that he should be getting paid the minimum wage with no health benefits.

That is a bit extreme, no?

Vidic15*

Maybe they're delaying the signing, or announcing, of Girardi's deal until after Callahan is determined b/c, if Callahan is traded, immediately announcing after that Girardi has re-signed will soften the blow a little.

That's an interesting take. Good call.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad