Speculation: Trade Speculation Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDpassantino

Jan 16, 2012
I do not think we will be making any big trades. Think about it we still have to have Kovy come back and Zubrus. Only way I can see us trading for a real top 6 is if Clarkson goes. I really do not think that will happen, and with the way our defense has been playing I can see us picking up a defensemen. This team has to get much quicker, because if the standings stay the same and we play Montreal in first round they are going to skate circles around us.

DevilChuk*

Jeff Carter for Jack Johnson, 1st round pick
Jeff Carter for Jakub Voracek, #8th overall pick, 3rd round pick
Mike Richards for Wayne Simmonds, Brayden Schenn, 2nd round pick
Erik Johnson, 1st round pick for Kevin Shattenkirk, Chris Stewart, 2nd round pick

Are you going to tell me Johnson, Voracek, Simmonds, and Shattenkirk aren't comparable to Henrique, an impending RFA due for a large raise? Vanek is better than Carter, Richards, and E. Johnson.

You can't compare rentals to non-rentals and expect equal value.

But you can compare someone who's contract ends in 2014 to someone who's contract ends in 2020, 2022 and 2016??

Right..

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
People say wait until we get Kovy back, but remember he still could be up to 3 weeks away from coming back. Zubes maybe sooner rather than later. Who knows though if we lose EVERY game the rest of the season in OT we probably could make the playoffs. 52 points should be good enough for 8th this year unless someone starts a huge push down the stretch that's in the bottom 8 right now.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
But you can compare someone who's contract ends in 2014 to someone who's contract ends in 2020, 2022 and 2016??

Right..

You're either a rental, or you're not a rental. What's after that doesn't matter - if anything, being signed for eternity lowers your value (Luongo). It's the one little tiny year that makes the difference. That one year was enough to scare everyone away from Jokinen, Rolston, etc.

DevilChuk*

You're either a rental, or you're not a rental. What's after that doesn't matter - if anything, being signed for eternity lowers your value (Luongo). It's the one little tiny year that makes the difference. That one year was enough to scare everyone away from Jokinen, Rolston, etc.

Yea, 1 year remaining and 10 years remaining are essentially the same thing. Not like you're guaranteed to have the player for 10x as long...

You're crazy if you don't think a Vanek signed long-term is worth more than a Vanek signed until next year.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
just caught up on this hilarious thread. I think what we’re seeing here is the problem with NEVER being sellers. ever. its how you re-stock the cupboard, and lou is fundamentally against it. which I even agree with in some sense, but you have to pay the price sooner or later. our defensive depth is possibly deep, depending on how they turn out, yet we cant/wont move any of them for offensive help (which is looking pretty dry at the moment.) therefore, this season, you have a mediocre defensive squad and a rough looking top-9.

its really not a good spot to be in

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
Yea, 1 year remaining and 10 years remaining are essentially the same thing. Not like you're guaranteed to have the player for 10x as long...

You're crazy if you don't think a Vanek signed long-term is worth more than a Vanek signed until next year.

I don't know if he is coming out of a CBA with the cap going down next year. He isn't on a small caphit either.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
just caught up on this hilarious thread. I think what we’re seeing here is the problem with NEVER being sellers. ever. its how you re-stock the cupboard, and lou is fundamentally against it. which I even agree with in some sense, but you have to pay the price sooner or later. our defensive depth is possibly deep, depending on how they turn out, yet we cant/wont move any of them for offensive help (which is looking pretty dry at the moment.) therefore, this season, you have a mediocre defensive squad and a rough looking top-9.

its really not a good spot to be in
This is not the problem with never being sellers. It is the problem with never being bad enough to get high draft picks.

BulletTheBlueSky

Feb 25, 2009
Old Bridge, NJ
I think Lou is trying to improve the team but because he can't afford to give up to much nor do we have much - couple that with other teams going after the same pieces - we may be banking on some luck that a team will need to unload at the deadline.

Whatever happens I have confidence that the Devils Army Will Rise once again!!!!!!!

NHL Fanatik*

Just a quick question...

But did this Devils forum have a Trade Speculation thread before I made one after my, what... 5th post? Lmao.

Glad to see it getting so much conversation and attention! Loving all of it too. About to be Part 7! :handclap:

BACK TO BUSINESS... Where's the damn top 6 forward, Lou? :help:

NHL Fanatik*

So the Flyers are about to trade a first rounder on a player and they are way out of the playoff picture?

They're two points out...

Still, only possible way this is true is if they were allowed to speak to Clowe's agent about an extension, beforehand.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Merrill with 2 points in his first 4 periods of pro hockey. We should trade him though.

Cause we all know that after playing 4 periods of pro hockey, your career is set in stone after that.

This statement is ridiculous. The fact the he is the best option at RW on the entire team is why we are losing. It's not his fault that their is no skill on this team...and in his expanded role this season he has done more than should be expectedfrom him. He eessentially was asked to replace Parise this season...He did for a while, what more could you possibly expect? Any fault to be handed out ought be at management for putting Clarkson in a role where he doesn't belong.

Completely agree.

Lou did absolutely nothing to replace the goals left behind by Parise + Sykora and Clarkson was put in a role where he doesn't belong but did his best to keep his head above water.

Blaming Clarkson for his lack of production isn't logical at all. We should point the finger at the guy who's putting this team together and I know it yerks certain posters when saying that Lou dropped the ball, from time to time, but I don't see how anyone can say differently when taking a look at our roster today.

crazyray

Feb 15, 2013
Cause we all know that after playing 4 periods of pro hockey, your career is set in stone after that.

Completely agree.

Lou did absolutely nothing to replace the goals left behind by Parise + Sykora and Clarkson was put in a role where he doesn't belong but did his best to keep his head above water.

Blaming Clarkson for his lack of production isn't logical at all. We should point the finger at the guy who's putting this team together and I know it yerks certain posters when saying that Lou dropped the ball, from time to time, but I don't see how anyone can say differently when taking a look at our roster today.

The problem with Clarkson isn't his lack of production IMO, it's what he'll command on the free agent market. Realistically you have a guy who needs to be irritable, get rebound/garbage goals, and fight once in a while... his skill set is as follows: poor skater (always on ice), weak stickhandler, and not a great shot. So with how thirsty NHL teams are to pay free agents, is he worth 5 million?

Clarkson was the one saying that his goal scoring last year was not a fluke, and how he was out to prove it... so this means in his mind he's either transformed into a goal scorer, or he's counting dollars. Realistically he's worth like a 3 year, 11 million dollar deal IMO... but he might get upwards of 5, which many of us do not want.

I completely agree with him having to step up past his ceiling... but the problem is, if you're going to talk the talk... walk the walk. and if you're incapable of certain things, play your own game and continue on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad