Speculation: Trade Speculation Part III

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
My money is on Weiss. DeBoer connection will be big.

I'm hoping for him too. He would instantly make our top 6 legit again.

@ToddCordell: According to @RenLavoieRDS the Flyers, Rangers and Leafs are among those interested in Ryan O'Reilly. Lavoie says Avs asked for Couturier.

Woof. That's a steep price, and Philly will tell them to take a hike, as they should.

I really hope he doesn't go to the Rangers. I'd be fine with him going to the Leafs because they'll still be bad afterward.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

I'm not a fan, at all, of Garrioch but here's what he had to say about the Caps...

What's this we hear about McPhee frantically working the phones trying to make changes? We're told the Capitals are so desperate to get immediate help they might even be willing to deal 2012 No. 1 pick Filip Forsberg (Sweden) and 2010 top pick Evgeny Kuznetsov (Russia). Apparently, McPhee found out pretty quickly that offering around D Roman Hamrlik wasn't going to get the Caps much in return. There would be interest in Forsberg and Kuznetsov, who both play in the middle

I would just cream my pants if Lou somehow got a hold of Kuznetsov. I have no idea what they are looking for to get back on track but I'd trade just about anyone on our blueline except Greene/Larsson and a D prospect (Merrill :naughty:) for Kuznetsov.

I think all the hype of his staying in the KHL is overblown and he just doesn't want to shoot himself in the foot in order to have a chance to get selected for the 2014 Sochi games.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
I'm not a fan, at all, of Garrioch but here's what he had to say about the Caps...

I would just cream my pants if Lou somehow got a hold of Kuznetsov. I have no idea what they are looking for to get back on track but I'd trade just about anyone on our blueline except Greene/Larsson and a D prospect (Merrill :naughty:) for Kuznetsov.

I think all the hype of his staying in the KHL is overblown and he just doesn't want to shoot himself in the foot in order to have a chance to get selected for the 2014 Sochi games.

Kuzy is one of my favorite player and if someday he'd be wearing the red and black uniform I'd cry tears of joy...
We're a playoffs contending team and there's not a single chance we can afford him without badly weakening another position with this trade. So if you go after Kuzy now, kiss your playoffs goodbye. Trading for Kuzy fits more the rebuilding teams.

We basically missed him at the 2010 draft, he was drafted so late but we were screwed with the Kovalchuk 1st rounder to Atlanta.
You can't have it both ways.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Kuzy is one of my favorite player and if someday he'd be wearing the red and black uniform I'd cry tears of joy...
We're a playoffs contending team and there's not a single chance we can afford him without badly weakening another position with this trade. So if you go after Kuzy now, kiss your playoffs goodbye. Trading for Kuzy fits more the rebuilding teams.

We basically missed him at the 2010 draft, he was drafted so late but we were screwed with the Kovalchuk 1st rounder to Atlanta.
You can't have it both ways.

They might be willing to flip prospects cause their pipeline on D is similar to our pipeline at forward.

Flip'em with Merrill and add a little something if need be, ala Rundblad for Tarasenko and it might be a possibility. I know odds aren't in our favour but I can dream can I?

;)

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
I would flip Merrill for Kuznetsov but I don't think that they would. They want help immediately and I doubt Tallinder and the rest of voltron would do it or make sense for a team looking to compete now.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
Yeah Washington isn't looking to swap prospects they want help now. They will likely be dealing with another struggling team not a contender.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
All these trades sound great, especially Weiss, but who are we trading? Please don't say Merrill, he's not going to get the Devils a sniff of Weiss. And Lou may as well just keep Tally and just sit him, because I'm not sure Lou get's a 5th rounder.

Last edited:

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
Don't worry, Tallinder isn't getting bought or traded for a 5th :facepalm:

Although the point isn't lost on me. Tallinder sitting and playing poorly has probably degraded some of his value and we don't have a ton of valuable pieces to move outside of picks and some prospects. I am curious what kind of weight Urbom or Gelinas have on the trade market.

FirmestPiano

May 22, 2011
All these trades sound great, especially Weiss, but who are we trading? Please don't say Merrill, he's not going to get the Devils a sniff of Weiss. And Lou may as well just keep Tally and just sit him, because I'm not sure he get's Lou a 5th rounder.

Look at what defenseman got at the trade deadline last year. And you're saying Lou can't get a 5th for Tallinder? You're having a laugh.

apice3*

i still think more people on this board need to watch merrill before throwing him into proposals. I dont think its a coincidence that the people that have seen a lot of this kid are the ones labeling him untouchable.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

It boggles my mind how a 21 year old prospect, whitout playing a single second of pro hockey, can be labeled as untouchable.

Larsson would be considered a untouchable IMO, Merrill isn't even in the same league as Adam and he's almost a year and half younger then him.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
Funny cause to quote DATW's bff:

Now don`t get me wrong, I`m sure that every member of this board hopes he can become a solid pro, I`m just not sold on him as much as others, if at all.

I`ve watched him play at least 15 times under various circumstances (before/after the WJC, before/after the suspension, before/after the injury). I know what I`ve seen.

I've also seen him almost a dozen times, I'd wager 8 or so, and think he should be a fine NHLer but definitely a movable piece for the right return. Injuries and suspensions have scared me marginally too, I do admit.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

I would just like to know why Merrill is being tagged as a untouchable. What has he done at the college level that has everyone, or close to everyone, so convinced we walked out of that draft with the biggest steal of all.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Tallinder is also on a BAD contract that goes into next year. Whoever trades for him has to worry about paying him $3.375 million for next year.

FirmestPiano

May 22, 2011
I would just like to know why Merrill is being tagged as a untouchable. What has he done at the college level that has everyone, or close to everyone, so convinced we walked out of that draft with the biggest steal of all.

I've only seen one or two say he's untouchable, the rest of the board are just wary of trading our best prospect because what he has the potential to do/be. That's all it is right now, potential, but he has a much higher chance of turning into something great than our other defensive prospects (Gelinas, Urbom and so on). I think most of us would at least want to see what he can do with Albany.

And we need to get younger on the blueline considering the age of some of our D-men. Zidlicky, Salvador and Tallinder aren't getting any younger and two of them are probably gone pretty soon. Then our d prospects will hopefully be ready to step in and be given the chance to show what they can do.

You let Merrill, Gelinas and Urbom battle it out for one/two spots and trade whomever becomes expendable.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
maybe i missed it, but i still dont see ANYONE calling him 'untouchable.' from what i understand, he could be one of our defensive anchors for years. why give that up now? and for who? iginla?? :laugh: :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad