Speculation: Trade Speculation Part III

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
I have no problem with Merrill... I have a problem with posters who are saying he's untouchable when he hasn't done anything to warrant such high praises.

I didn't compare both players, I compared the hype Burlon got and where he is today to what's currently happening with JM. If moving Merrill means we can land that perfect 1st line winger, I'd be all for it.

I don't think anybody has said he is untouchable. But it has to be the right deal. You're a little too eager to move him.

I said I wouldn't do Merrill and the first for Iginla, but that is more because I don't want to be without our first rounder for two years in a row. I don't think Lou would take a gamble like that either. Mentioning either the 2013 or 2014 first round picks should end all discussion immediately, because I simply don't see how it could happen.

downtown56

Mar 5, 2008
@ToddCordell: According to @RenLavoieRDS the Flyers, Rangers and Leafs are among those interested in Ryan O'Reilly. Lavoie says Avs asked for Couturier.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
@ToddCordell: According to @RenLavoieRDS the Flyers, Rangers and Leafs are among those interested in Ryan O'Reilly. Lavoie says Avs asked for Couturier.

I hope Flyers and Rangers don't get him.

Avalanche are going to ask for a king's ransom. I think we may see a team oversheet him, to be honest.

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ

How?

They're even a little heavy in Connecticut too. I think they're just trying to send signals to their players to keep them in line... like that business they pulled with Boyle and then Kreider too.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
How?

They're even a little heavy in Connecticut too. I think they're just trying to send signals to their players to keep them in line... like that business they pulled with Boyle and then Kreider too.

Boyle, McIlrath/Thomas and a first probably could get it done.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Well Florida lost again. Are we on Heartbreak Kid watch now?

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
I hope Flyers and Rangers don't get him.

Avalanche are going to ask for a king's ransom. I think we may see a team oversheet him, to be honest.

That's the reason I'd want to see the Rangers or Flyers get ROR. They'd ask for a kings ransom and the trade would blow up in either of their faces.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If they are this terrible. Why would Weiss come back ??? Might as well trade him for something before he leaves for nothing

He wouldn't. One playoff run in like 10, 11 years he's been in the league?

What I mean is do they wait until the deadline? Or maybe sometime in mid to late March?

Scott04

Sep 13, 2010
New Jersey
If Florida is out before the deadline do they get rid of him? They have been looking pretty miserable.

I don't know by what point they would be ready to pack it in/become sellers, but I have a feeling it may not take until the deadline if some suitor(s) step it up earlier. If the Devils were to be interested and pursue him, I have a feeling they may make that call sooner rather than later if they don't start doing more offensively in the coming 2-3 weeks.

apice3*

Do not want Grabner at all. The only D he plays is frightening other teams with his speed. He's good for a breakaway a game that he won't finish.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think Grabner is a lot like Jason Garisson. When Garisson was torching us on the Florida PP in the playoffs people were fascinated with him. Right now he's just got 2 points on the season, and when I go to chat with the Canucks board they're not very happy with him either.

Grabner torches us with constant breakaways. One time he buried one in front of the net last year. He's not a bad player, and neither is Garisson. I just don't think you want him that bad.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Again, I have no idea why Merrill is considered to be a "untouchable" around here. His game is nothing spectacular to warrant such high praises IMO.

I can remember when the hot item of the month was Brandon Burlon and how he could eventually turn into something real solid for our team down the line.

All I'm trying to say is that we have to be real carefull when it comes to "hyping" our rookies, especially when that rookie is a 21 year old who never played a pro game in his life who's getting some coverage mostly for his off ice "problems" then anything else.

Merrill probably was the stud player of the year in the NCAA as a freshman but since, he doesn't look to be stepping up his game according to his very average #'s he's been posting since.

I'm not sure anyone considers Merrill truly "untouchable." I think some people don't believe Iginla is worth giving up a top prospect. Tell me Merrill will get us Perry and I ask if Anaheim wants Gelinas as well.

And you keep bringing up his "average numbers" like he isn't coming back from a major injury and didn't put up 11 points in 19 games last season after a LONG layoff (and a pretty excellent world junior showing, as well). If you wanna see some average NCAA numbers, go look up Ryan McDonagh or Ryan Suter. Mark Stuart's freshman year was more productive than McDonagh's junior.

I'll start to hype the kid when he can prove himself in Albany or at camp but I'm not getting excited over the fact that a 21 year old is doing "well" at the NCAA level.

No you wouldn't, 'cause you'd trade him beforehand. ;) Seriously, you clamored for years for a true puck-moving, offensive defenseman, and with Zidlicky gone next year, you're ready to trade away our best OFD prospect. For Perry, I understand, but not for Iginla.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
And there goes more of their depth for someone (and let's face it) who just had one stand out year and is as of now all hype.

I hope that trade is done. I really do.

I don't. Consider O'Reilly is basically Henrique. Great offense and elite defense for his age. Henrique's only had one good year. What's the difference? Before this season (and luckily it seems he had his sophomore slump in Albany), what reason did we have to believe he'd keep it up?

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012

So if I understand correctly, the Avs would ask for Henrique...

1175929086.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad