Speculation: Trade Speculation/Be a GM Thread/Go CrAzY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 27, 2002
NYC
I maintained in an earlier incarnation of this thread that after claiming Hamrlik and bringing back Zuccarello that I thought the Rangers were done.

The only thing I can realistically hope is they can add an upgrade over Eminger who has been awful. This should be a low-cost move that could pay off if they make the playoffs — especially if Staal isn't going to return.

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
I maintained in an earlier incarnation of this thread that after claiming Hamrlik and bringing back Zuccarello that I thought the Rangers were done.

The only thing I can realistically hope is they can add an upgrade over Eminger who has been awful. This should be a low-cost move that could pay off if they make the playoffs — especially if Staal isn't going to return.

I think Gilroy should get back into the lineup. It seems our #6 dmen start pretty good when they get inserted to the lineup and then gradually get worse after a few games. It seems this is one spot in the lineup where rotation actually does something.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
I think Gilroy should get back into the lineup. It seems our #6 dmen start pretty good when they get inserted to the lineup and then gradually get worse after a few games. It seems this is one spot in the lineup where rotation actually does something.

Asking me to pick between Eminger and Gilroy is like asking me if I'd rather get poked in the eye or kicked in the shin.

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
He can make a push for them but what are you willing to give up? Are you ready to trade Miller for Ott?

Bingo. The Rangers aren't giving up what it takes to get a guy like Ott. Not when they are fighting for 8th place instead of 1st place. It's amazing to me that fans are pushing for us to add pieces that would cost WAY more than they are worth.

The Rangers should either stand pat or try to capitalize on the crazy market by moving Boyle, Pyatt, Powe, etc.

If the price is right I'd look to move Gaborik to a team that missed on Iginla and Jagr. Even if that team is in the Eastern Conference.

NY Lito

Jan 13, 2010
NJ
Asking me to pick between Eminger and Gilroy is like asking me if I'd rather get poked in the eye or kicked in the shin.

Touche. Still think Gilroy is better than Eminger. Gilroy is by no means solid, by Em is absolutely brutal.

Bottom line, the bottom pairing needs to be shored up. Should have occurred in the summer considering what happened in the playoffs last year.

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008
A rental would make no sense considering our position in the standings. If we were on fire and rolling into the playoffs, that's a different story.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Touche. Still think Gilroy is better than Eminger. Gilroy is by no means solid, by Em is absolutely brutal.

Bottom line, the bottom pairing needs to be shored up. Should have occurred in the summer considering what happened in the playoffs last year.

I can't fault them for not doing it this summer. The thinking was they had 5 solid guys and they would let Eminger, Bickely and Gilroy battle for the last spot and hope one of them would emerge as a legit #6 guy. And they could always do what they did and claim a guy like Hamrlik.

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
A rental would make no sense considering our position in the standings. If we were on fire and rolling into the playoffs, that's a different story.

Yeah, I wouldn't want to waste any assets for the #6 in our situation. The offense is a far bigger problem and our defense would be set with the return of Staal anyway.

NY Lito

Jan 13, 2010
NJ
I can't fault them for not doing it this summer. The thinking was they had 5 solid guys and they would let Eminger, Bickely and Gilroy battle for the last spot and hope one of them would emerge as a legit #6 guy. And they could always do what they did and claim a guy like Hamrlik.

Staal, McDonagh, Girardi, MDZ...who's the fifth? Stralman?

He played well last year but to think he was going to be the #5 guy, no doubt about it, was flawed. There's a reason we got him after a tryout in November of last year.

Should have acquired that #5 guy while letting Stralman, Eminger, and Gilroy get that 6th spot. Bickle shouldn't be in the NHL.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I agree with those saying that rentals are not really worth it this year.

That said I would definitely be calling about Glencross, Ott, Clowe, and Torres. Likely all will go (if they go) for too much. But I'd be calling.

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008
I agree with those saying that rentals are not really worth it this year.

That said I would definitely be calling about Glencross, Ott, Clowe, and Torres. Likely all will go (if they go) for too much. But I'd be calling.

Kicking the tires isn't a bad idea, but no core pieces should be moved.

Also, we should be trying to reclaim a round 1 draft pick for this year.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC

Yes. I'll be the first to admit I was wrong about Stralman. He's been solid in his role.

He played well last year but to think he was going to be the #5 guy, no doubt about it, was flawed. There's a reason we got him after a tryout in November of last year.

That doesn't mean a whole lot to me. Was there a reason Girardi was never drafted? Or Brian Rafalski?

Should have acquired that #5 guy while letting Stralman, Eminger, and Gilroy get that 6th spot. Bickle shouldn't be in the NHL.

Who? For what? At what salary?

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007

Stralman is still a good #5. There's nothing this season that has suggested anything else. He has even played pretty well in the top-4 for the most time, only lately has he struggled in that role.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Stralman is still a good #5. There's nothing this season that has suggested anything else. He has even played pretty well in the top-4 for the most time, only lately has he struggled in that role.

I actually think Stralman has been better this year than he was last year.

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
I actually think Stralman has been better this year than he was last year.

Me too. He has been pretty good for the most time in a much bigger role. He didn't look that great in the last few games, but I still don't get the sudden hate for for him. He has been a good #4.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Me too. He has been pretty good for the most time in a much bigger role. He didn't look that great in the last few games, but I still don't get the sudden hate for for him. He has been a good #4.

He's struggled the last few games because he's been ask to to be a #4. And he's not. If this team gets Staal back, the entire complexion of the defense changes.

*Bob Richards*

I don't know how many 5th D-men you'll found out there who play as well as Stralman. He's a 5th defenseman. :/

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I rarely do this...

Boyle
Thomas/St Croix
3rd

Glencross
Sarich

Too much? Not enough? I have no idea. Which usually makes me think it could happen.

Kwayry

Jun 30, 2011
Plano
He's struggled the last few games because he's been ask to to be a #4. And he's not. If this team gets Staal back, the entire complexion of the defense changes.

Therein lies the problem
We have 3 RD's
Girardi is top pairing, you would have to decide between Stralman and Eminger for second pairing. I assume everyone agrees that neither one of them fits in the second pairing.
He should be replacing Eminger in the bottom pairing.

There is a reason for the rumors the Rangers are looking for a top 4 RD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad