Rumor: Trade Rumours Thread XIV: Rangers gauging interest on Callahan/Girardi

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Not a bad idea, except I don't see the Devils trading him to a rival in the middle of their playoff push. Nor do I see the Redwings trading Alfie after he left Ottawa for them.

Do we want Kane, another inconsistent enigma who doesn't bring it every game? Is that the guy we want to replace Callahan, a guy who leads by example and heart? I hope not.

I could see jagr or Alfie being dealt. Both the wings and devils don't look promising at all. I could see either being a possibility. Its business at the end of the day.

Maybe not Kane but someone else?

BarbaraAlphanse

I sort of get this line of thinking. Sather will mess it up somehow, but I guess its safer to mess it up with a player who's been here for awhile rather than a potential Gomez 2.0 like Stastny.

People don't like admitting the high risk associated with trading these two players. Doesn't mean it will happen. Doesn't mean it won't happen. But it's present, and everyone acts as if it doesn't.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
You're right. For half a season, a season which began with a new coach and new system, where training camp and the first several weeks of the season were on the road, and where he's been injured twice, Callahan has not been as effective as he used to be. And by used to be, we mean the last 4-5 years, when he was the best all-around player on the team on a near nightly basis.

What a ******! Get him out of here! Because if there's one thing we know, it's that the money that would be spent on Callahan, who earned it by helping carry several absolutely pathetic teams into the playoffs numerous times, will instead be used in a far wiser fashion. That's what Glen Sather does best, after all. Everyone that thinks Callahan will be the next Drury will surely be thrilled when the money that wasn't paid to Callahan will instead be paid to the next Redden or Gomez.

Sigh...this team's fanbase gets harder to stomach with every passing season...

I'm sorry, were we talking about Derek Jeter, who was a key player on five championships and an all-time great at one of the most important positions on his team? That guy I'm comfortable overpaying out of loyalty as he declines, especially since there's no hard cap in the league he plays in.

But I thought we were we talking about a guy who is currently a 3rd line RW, who's claim to fame is that he was part of a core that lost an ECF, that will surely break down (check that, is already breaking down) and who is looking for one of those Drury/Gomez/Redden contracts you mentioned. That guy, on a team that needs several key pieces (3rd line RW not being one of them) to compete for a cup, is someone I am ABSOLUTELY okay with trading.

BarbaraAlphanse

I could see jagr or Alfie being dealt. Both the wings and devils don't look promising at all. I could see either being a possibility. Its business at the end of the day.

Maybe not Kane but someone else?

I can see Jagr being dealt... but not to us.

I can't see Alf getting dealt, he relocated his whole family.

I think rather than trade those assets for someone like Kane, or a comparable, you really make sure you trade for the best possible prospects and keep them. Miller can step in for Cally. Obviously there will need to be reshifting of the lines to accommodate Miller on the 3rd line. Zucc will likely be moved up with Brassard to play with Richards. Hagelin will be moved down to check with Miller. Someone like Ott could be brought in to complete that line and add the energy and grit and leadership that we lost with Callahan. Poo is a bit of a hole.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
If it were up to me, I would want a young center back if Girardi or Callahan go. A guy like Teuverainen (spelling?) from Chicago, Eakin out of Dallas, and Domi from Phoenix fit the bill. Would those teams make them available for Girardi or Callahan? I really think they might.

SirGoose

honk honk
Jan 11, 2009
golf course
trading girardi and callahan could really set us up for a fantastic future

id rather keep girardi, and as many have noticed, im not a huge fan of callahan and think he'd be too expensive for a third line player here and potentially block the development of some promising forwards we have in the pipeline

but the potential of having 3 first rounders, or an etem, yandle, or kesler on the team could be too good to pass up.

personally, i think there is a deal to be made with vancouver.

prying a kesler or edler would be huge, edler was a top 20 dman for vancouver under AV, he doesnt fit under tortorella and is exactly what we need

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Callahan isn't even a third liner on our team. What is this third liner crap. He gets the third most ice time amongst forwards on our team without significant powerplay time. It's fine if you don't has a sentimental attachment to Callahan like some of us admittedly do, but seriously, there's no need to exaggerate to the point of insulting a player's value to a team.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
a trade with phoenix would be great too

grabbing hanzal or vermette would be fantastic

Vermette is a good player but would he cut it as a 2nd line center? He's more of a checker. I'd be over the moon if we got Hanzal, but he's in the same group as OEL when mentioning Phoenix untouchables.

If we're dealing with Phoenix, I'd inquire about Yandle. I'd offer up Callahan, one of Fast or Kristo and and a 2015 2nd for Yandle and Samuelsson.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Put me in the shocked category if one goes . I agree it's Cally if they do. Sign a reasonable term boys or you are not a nyr much longer. Sather got the messag out

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Vermette is a good player but would he cut it as a 2nd line center? He's more of a checker. I'd be over the moon if we got Hanzal, but he's in the same group as OEL when mentioning Phoenix untouchables.

If we're dealing with Phoenix, I'd inquire about Yandle. I'd offer up Callahan, one of Fast or Kristo and and a 2015 2nd for Yandle and Samuelsson.

I watch the Coyotes pretty regularly, and from what I've seen, at the moment, their isn't a distinct 1, 2, or 3 line. Vermette's a kind of 1C and playing very well. I would trust him more as a 2C than Brassard--plus he had some notable chemistry with Nash in Columbus if I remember correctly. He's a great character player too, willing to do anything--I think he could be a serviceable 2C, especially in AV's system where the ice time is spread pretty evenly.

SirGoose

honk honk
Jan 11, 2009
golf course

he'd certainly cut it as a top 6 c, he's better than anyone we have now

not to mention hes the best faceoff man in the league, a huge issue we're having right now. id pony up whatever it costs to grab vermette. hes a ufa after next year so i dont think the value would be too hard to reach. callahan & skjei for vermette would be a great deal for us.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007

not to mention hes the best faceoff man in the league, a huge issue we're having right now. id pony up whatever it costs to grab vermette. hes a ufa after next year so i dont think the value would be too hard to reach. callahan & skjei for vermette would be a great deal for us.

I disagree. Stepan is as good if not better. People here are *****ing about Stastny but are willing to trade for a 32 year old? I don't know, I guess I'm not the biggest fan of his. He's more of a checking center than one you count on for offense. I don't think he puts up the 19 goals he has now on a Vigneault run team.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
NYRCallahan8964351 said:
You're right. For half a season, a season which began with a new coach and new system, where training camp and the first several weeks of the season were on the road, and where he's been injured twice, Callahan has not been as effective as he used to be. And by used to be, we mean the last 4-5 years, when he was the best all-around player on the team on a near nightly basis.

What a ******! Get him out of here! Because if there's one thing we know, it's that the money that would be spent on Callahan, who earned it by helping carry several absolutely pathetic teams into the playoffs numerous times, will instead be used in a far wiser fashion. That's what Glen Sather does best, after all. Everyone that thinks Callahan will be the next Drury will surely be thrilled when the money that wasn't paid to Callahan will instead be paid to the next Redden or Gomez.

Sigh...this team's fanbase gets harder to stomach with every passing season...

Oh so now Callahan is the one who single handedly carries us into the playoffs?
Wrong. The answer to that is Henrik Lundqvist and everybody knows it. Stop fooling yourself.

Second, this is why I keep saying we need to keep BRAD RICHARDS at 6.6M per year... You know the guy that scores 25 goals and is good for 60-80 points per season? You're tryingto tell me Callahan is good for over 10% MORE than Richards salary? That's quite a reach.

Lastly everyone needs to chill with the "Callahan is breaking down" crap. he is in his prime and he went start breaking down for several years. Obviously the issue is term here... Do we want someone who will end up on the 3rd line in 3 years? Because I can guarantee you that Girardi Will never be less than a 2nd pairing defender until he retires...

Jun 25, 2013
www.tannerglassisthebest.com
Oh so now Callahan is the one who single handedly carries us into the playoffs?
Wrong. The answer to that is Henrik Lundqvist and everybody knows it. Stop fooling yourself.

Second, this is why I keep saying we need to keep BRAD RICHARDS at 6.6M per year... You know the guy that scores 25 goals and is good for 60-80 points per season? You're tryingto tell me Callahan is good for over 10% MORE than Richards salary? That's quite a reach.

Lastly everyone needs to chill with the "Callahan is breaking down" crap. he is in his prime and he went start breaking down for several years. Obviously the issue is term here... Do we want someone who will end up on the 3rd line in 3 years? Because I can guarantee you that Girardi Will never be less than a 2nd pairing defender until he retires...

This.

If he ask to much trade cally... Cuz Girardi is more of a rare find than a Callahan.. so give Girardi wat he wants... he deserves it

SirGoose

honk honk
Jan 11, 2009
golf course
I disagree. Stepan is as good if not better. People here are *****ing about Stastny but are willing to trade for a 32 year old? I don't know, I guess I'm not the biggest fan of his. He's more of a checking center than one you count on for offense. I don't think he puts up the 19 goals he has now on a Vigneault run team.

We don't need a center that runs our offense tho, we need a defensemen that does. This is a defense first team, and Vermette is a better two-way center than Stepan. I was clamoring for this team to make a play for Bergeron in 2008, Vermette's a Bergeron-lite and a Vermette-Stepan 1-2 would be very, very hard to play against. I do feel like we'd need to run 3 top 6 centers and a top 3 center though, so Brassard and Richards definitely don't become redundant pieces. Teams that carry too many centers win games. I do NOT want to lose a center this offseason. Take advantage of having centers on your wings and your entire team's FO% improves.

Either way our main target should be a PMD. Callahan + Stralman + Pick/Skjei could bring us back a franchise changing player. Byfuglien, Shattenkirk, Yandle, maybe Green or Wisniewski if the price is right. These players are all guys I'd go after and pay whatever the price is. Callahan+Stralman+1st? They want Miller? Don't really care. It'd revolutionize this team and AV absolutely knows how to use good offensive defenseman.

Last edited:

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
This.

If he ask to much trade cally... Cuz Girardi is more of a rare find than a Callahan.. so give Girardi wat he wants... he deserves it

So we're going to give Girardi whatever he wants because players like him are hard to find?

Dude, he's a RH, physical defenseman, those aren't impossible to find. He's not Shea Weber.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Who said PHX would be willing to trade Yandle? I highly doubt that...

Yeah, me too. But they have been rumored to listen to offers for him the last two years at the deadline if I remember correctly.

With Yandle being left of the OG team, I've started to wonder if he might have a bit of a bad reputation or something.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
A stl fan on the rumors board offered Stewart , prospect, 3rd round from stl . If nyr really got that offer for Cally they take it

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere

I wouldn't trade Skjei yet. Dude is looking really good.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
A stl fan on the rumors board offered Stewart , prospect, 3rd round from stl . If nyr really got that offer for Cally they take it

Yeah it was like Stewart, a 3rd this year, & I think it was Cade Fairchild, but I think they would & could get something a little better than that. Not too far off though

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Callahan isn't even a third liner on our team. What is this third liner crap. He gets the third most ice time amongst forwards on our team without significant powerplay time. It's fine if you don't has a sentimental attachment to Callahan like some of us admittedly do, but seriously, there's no need to exaggerate to the point of insulting a player's value to a team.

Yeah, the line we draw between so called 2nd lineers and 3rd lineers is just confusing.

I just don't think its telling in any way. It tells some kind of order you hit the ice 5 on 5. That might impact a minute or two per game. Besides that you have PK, PP, shifts when you defend a lead, shift when you want to score, shifts when your coach want momentum etc etc etc.

Looking at Callahan's ice time he got from 15 to 21 minutes a game during January, with hitting around 18 on most nights. That is probably more than Zucc during that time frame, and his avg might even challenge Nash.

Slats must just be smart with Callahan. Sit down and figure out what they can expect from him and if that is worth it. Consider if they will be able to move him. Consider the worst case scenario, as well as up-side. Consider what trade options they have.

From my point of view, that trade option must entail more than what is rumored if put against the following (potential) contract:
Term/Salary/Cap estimate (projected numbers and after that I only calculate on the PA bumper with zero growth)
Y1 / 8m / 71m
Y2 / 8m / 80m
Y3 / 8m / 84m
Y4 / 6.5m / 88.2m
Y5 / 5.5m / 92.61m
Y6 / 4m / 97.24m
Y7 / 4m / 102.1m
Y8 / 4m / 107.2m

AAV of 6m.

LTC of like 20 teams.

With the cap exploding, "most" teams litterary will be budget teams. I don't know if it will be 16 or 20, but it will be many. Ie salary matters not cap. Caphit might even be a positive.

4m in a 100m capworld is like paying someone 2.52m today. I mean, Detroit just signed Mikael Samuelsson to a 3m deal. Samuelsson is 37 y/o. Callahan will be 34 y/o when the cap hit 100m.

Ie, I just see the following likely scenarios:
1. Callahan does not break down completely for us, and ends up being paid like a solid 16-18 minute vet on a good deal for the entire duration of the contract.

2. Callahan is always moveable for us. Probably for a better return we could get today.

3. Callahan breaks down and goes on LTIR, only bugs us if we get several players on LTIR at the same time (like with Redden and Drury).

Then you have 4 that I just don't think is likely at all:

4. Callahan breaks down completely, but does not want to go on LTIR but want to sit around in the pressbox instead of collecting his money at home while not being able to play the game at a "2.52m" pace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad