Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals PART XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
Our time to make a big trade will be next off-season. PLD on the market is golden for us, will only add to the slight possibility Barkov, Laine, and Eichel also available for the right price. With a flat cap next 3 years, I am for certain a couple big names will also be thrown out there.

Agree with this. And with luck we add a number of picks at the deadline that ease the pain of us potentially offering up high picks in a trade.

Reactions: ReginKarlssonLehner

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
Unprotected 1st + Sanderson + Norris (so a pick that could be a Byram/Stuetzle, even more risky now than before with the draft lottery + 2 guys that will have 2-3 ELC years)

for Dubois (5.0 x 2 years but will be over 6.65 after that, even if he doesn't improve that much)

Dubois is still only 22 y/o but has a 0.67 PPG in the NHL so far. I think it's very possible that Josh Norris gives you that kind of production and excellent 2-way hockey on a year-to-year basis. So we'd be giving up Sanderson and a possible lottery pick for the difference that should happen between Norris and Dubois?

Please find me a player that returned that kind of package. Dubois isn't Lindros and we'll never see a Lindros trade again, not even close.

I bet if you can find, these player(s) were a lot more proven than Dubois currently is.

This is what 2nd OA pick, 22 y/o Seguin returned :

Loui Eriksson (28 y/o)
Joe Morrow
Reilly Smith
Matt Fraser

This is what 5th OA pick, 22 y/o Kessel returned :

2010 1st round pick
2010 2nd round pick
2011 1st round pick

I think PLD will return 5 or 6 assets. Columbus is very thin on picks and prospects and this would be their best chance at re-tooling instead of re-building.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Wasn't Stone traded with Vegas knowing he was going to sign an extension with them? Iirc he signed like hours after he was traded there.

Yes. I believe it wasn't hours but something like 30 min after the trade. I remember reading that the extension had to be negotiated before the deal went through or VGK would not accept the trade. Hence the last minute sweating from PD to get the deal done.

So basically Vegas got a singed Stone for Brannstrom and a 2nd.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Wasn't Stone traded with Vegas knowing he was going to sign an extension with them? Iirc he signed like hours after he was traded there.
Something like that. And the first time Vegas had ever caved and given signing bonuses i think. Got dicey at the 11th hour because of that iirc, but who knows. So i guess Stone could be considered signed.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
It would take at a minimum 1st (no condom) , Sanderson, Norris for PLD Imo. He's only 22 and a 1c.
He's not a 1c. 1c don't sign for $5M.

EDIT: So Dubois for the 21-year-old AHL rookie of the year, a #5OA pick, and another pick that is projected to yield another Stutzle-level player. f*** I'd hate to see what your "maximum" is.

Last edited:

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
He signed for a lower cap hit to give Jarmo more flexibility on where he gets traded.

He could of got in the 6’s imo, but settled for less on hopes a contender would pick him up.
He was 42nd among centers in ppg last season (w/ >30 games). Below Brock Nelson, Thomas Hertl, Ryan Strome, Dylan Larkin, Krejci, Marchessault, Kadri, Eric Staal, etc.

He might be a first line centre soon enough, but he didn't perform like one last season, and his salary reflects that. This was his first big payday. He didn't leave millions on the table out of the goodness of his heart. He hasn't earned it yet.

Reactions: Xspyrit

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
He was 42nd among centers in ppg last season (w/ >30 games). Below Brock Nelson, Thomas Hertl, Ryan Strome, Dylan Larkin, Krejci, Marchessault, Kadri, Eric Staal, etc.

He might be a first line centre soon enough, but he didn't perform like one last season, and his salary reflects that. This was his first big payday. He didn't leave millions on the table out of the goodness of his heart. He hasn't earned it yet.
Dude was a beast last year in the playoffs. His stock has risen considerably because of it. Lets see what he looks like when the season starts but in my eyes, he's definitely a 1C and better than any C we currently have.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Dude was a beast last year in the playoffs. His stock has risen considerably because of it. Lets see what he looks like when the season starts but in my eyes, he's definitely a 1C and better than any C we currently have.
I don't disagree, just pushing back against this idea that he's an established 1C already. His stats and contract are a lot closer to Pageau than Matthews, and his stats declined last year from the one before. Obviously he's young and talented and probably will get there. But he wouldn't be the first guy to plateau as a 55-60 point guy based on his trajectory.

But I wouldn't trade Stutzle straight up for him, and our unprotected first this year might prove even more valuable than Tim. To me, it's insanity to add Norris and Sanderson to that.

Reactions: EdSoxFan and Prajna

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Would I trade Stuetzle for PLD? No, lateral move at best, realistically a step back. Stuetzle is under Sens control for 7 years. PLD is 4 years.

Would I trade Sanderson for PLD? In a heartbeat. PLD fills a hole in the line up immediately, he speeds up the rebuild by 2 years. It gets us closer to competing for a cup.
Sanderson can refuse to sign like Adam Fox, Kevin Hayes, Alex Kerfoot, Will Butcher, Jimmy Vesey, Justin Schultz

Reactions: EdSoxFan and Taluss

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Would I trade Stuetzle for PLD? No, lateral move at best, realistically a step back. Stuetzle is under Sens control for 7 years. PLD is 4 years.

Would I trade Sanderson for PLD? In a heartbeat. PLD fills a hole in the line up immediately, he speeds up the rebuild by 2 years. It gets us closer to competing for a cup.
Sanderson can refuse to sign like Adam Fox, Kevin Hayes, Alex Kerfoot, Will Butcher, Jimmy Vesey, Justin Schultz
Zero chance Sanderson is going to sit in the NCAA for 4 years. Zero.

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017

Well none of those guys were top 5 picks. Everyone except Hayes were taken outside the 1st so I think the priorities of those clubs were more than a little different than it is between Sanderson and this team.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

While I would definitely trade Sanderson 1-for-1 for PLD, the chances that Sanderson waits 4 years to collect his first pro hockey paycheck is slim to none. And slim left town.

Last edited:

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
Well none of those guys were top 5 picks. Everyone except Hayes were taken outside the 1st so I think the priorities of those clubs were more than a little different than it is between Sanderson and this team.

Have we ever not signed someone we drafted from the NCAA due to that loophole? I know Wolanin had people nervous but obviously he signed.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
PLD is a perfect fit for us. I thought a Laine - PLD deal would happen but looks like Laine may be heading to Carolina

We can definitely offer a large package of assets if CBJ want that type of deal

Nice part about most of our prospects is that they are likely NHL ready this year or next

It makes sense at first glance, but Laine playing under Tortorella would be possibly the worst player-coach fit in the entire league, not to mention that the CBJ already has an insane amount of goal scoring RWs (Atkinson, Bjorkstrand, Nyquist, Bemstrom + Marchenko, Chinakhov and TFK in the system).

I could see a PLD for Sanderson + White + picks/prospects type of deal happening in the off-season if they can't repair the relationship with PLD by then and Jones won't extend.

Reactions: Qward

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Have we ever not signed someone we drafted from the NCAA due to that loophole? I know Wolanin had people nervous but obviously he signed.

The only instances in which we've not signed NCAA draft picks are guys who peaked in the ECHL.

It makes sense at first glance, but Laine playing under Tortorella would be possibly the worst player-coach fit in the entire league, not to mention that the CBJ already has an insane amount of goal scoring RWs (Atkinson, Bjorkstrand, Nyquist, Bemstrom + Marchenko, Chinakhov and TFK in the system).

I could see a PLD for Sanderson + White + picks/prospects type of deal happening in the off-season if they can't repair the relationship with PLD by then and Jones won't extend.

I agree that a PLD trade would only happen in the offseason, not just for the reason you stated, but also because it would only be at that point that he could be extended. I assume a trade would only occur if we were confident we could extend him to at least a medium-term deal

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
All of these trades sort of come down to whether we have drafted well enough outside of the first round the last couple years to supplement the kind of player Sanderson is. If he's a Seth Jones I would never make that trade. A quality top four D is essential when youre taking on some of the big boys in playoffs. Yes you can shut down Matthews perhaps with a strong first pair but then you have Tavares coming in the second and need another anchor. Seth Jones type player in the second pair propels you into an elite category defensively. HOWEVER all that means nothing without scoring.
So lets say JBD or Guenette or Kleven or Thomson are almost comparable to Sanderson. Sort of a Muzzin to Jones type trade off. Okay, I can live with that. Make the deal. Take the hit. Cap team (internal) these are the risks vs rewards you need to take. If we don't have that confidence then stay the course. Let players develop.
Every year there is a marquee player that is unhappy. See what we have in the kids and see who develops. If a Kleven develops making Sanderson expendable he'll still be valuable later. A rock top four D even if hes a second pairing D and not a Jones, is still in high demand. If he's a Muzzin and not a Jones or a Bouwmeister and not a Pietrangelo those are still valuable trade chips.
So for me I would trade anyone not named Tkatchuk, Chabot, Stuetzle, and Sanderson. Everyone else is expendable.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Norris/White/Logan Brown, JBD, and Top-5 protected pick. I don't see any other team being able to match this package. CLB are not getting a 1C prospect from anybody, so Ottawa offers potential 2C, 2nd pairing D, and a first that's top-5 protected.

Tkachuk, Chabot, Stuetzle, and Sanderson are the untouchables.

Reactions: NB613 and Flamingo

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
The thought of trading Sanderson makes me sick. He’s the most Senators prospect we’ve ever drafted.

The kid is a stud. He’s going to win awards. Buy his jersey and deal with it already.

Reactions: NB613

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Norris/White/Logan Brown, JBD, and Top-5 protected pick. I don't see any other team being able to match this package. CLB are not getting a 1C prospect from anybody, so Ottawa offers potential 2C, 2nd pairing D, and a first that's top-5 protected.

Yeah I don’t understand why CBJ fans expect that to happen. Why would a team trade their 1C who is already happy to be on their team for PLD who doesn’t even want to be on CBJ. I mean their fans have been right before but I can’t see it here

Edit: CBJ fans want someone’s current 1C, not prospect 1C

I definitely see a deal of prospects going through. In that case I think Ott and NY will potentially battle it out and whoever wants it more will get him.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008

Depends how you define 1C prospect I suppose. The Kings are sitting right there with Turcotte and Vilardi behind Byfield on the depth chart. If they decide they want to throw one of them into a package that may very well top anything the Sens can throw together.

In a vacumn the Sens can probably still offer the most value, but if Jarmo doesn't think Norris is enough of a replacement at C there's really no clear road to trade for PLD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad