Trade, Rumours & FA Thread, Offseason Version

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I get the 5v5 numbers - he will always do well in that area due to his possession numbers.
The next step is driving play to a point where he is gaining zone and scoring points - one without the other just becomes a stat that we throw around.
If he can turn his possession into points at a higher rate (or at a higher ratio), he's our best player - I'd leave it at that.
He does both quite fine. The fact he's tops on the team in 5v5 production and shot metrics, and generally the best jets lines the past few years contain ehlers is evident of this. Can he score more points? sure, just like every single other NHLer

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I'd guess that if Laine is still a Jet mid-way through the first round, he's a Jet for another season. It's not a dead certainty, but a high pick is probably in the conversations.

Reactions: Teemusalami204

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I'd guess that if Laine is still a Jet mid-way through the first round, he's a Jet for another season. It's not a dead certainty, but a high pick is probably in the conversations.
I wonder how many top 10-15 picks have been moved the past 10-15 years in player trades.... And what was the overall return.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

I'd wager if he is moved it won't be until FA opens up and teams can talk to him about an extension.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I wonder how many top 10-15 picks have been moved the past 10-15 years in player trades.... And what was the overall return.

you'd think we'd have a resident encyclopedia on here that could answer questions like this on demand

how many 22 year-old phenoms get moved too

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I get the sense that that isn't how Chevy rolls. Three years of control is enough to pay top dollar.

It might be what Chevy wants to do. But I don't see any teams being willing to take on a player without gauging where they are at on an extension. Laine has a lot of power now. All he has to do is tell a team he wont sign long term with them and will be arbing his way to FA and they won't pay anything close to top dollar. He'll be viewed as a 3 year rental.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I keep coming back to Carolina as a trade partner for Laine.
You have to think they would be salivating to unite him with Aho and maybe Teravainen.
If I'm Chevy I'm setting my ask at:
a) either Pesce or Slavin.
b) Necas
c) #13 pick
Maybe accepting Geekie or Bean in place of the #13.

What do you guys think?

I think either Geekie or Bean have to be in addition to 13. Otherwise I prefer 13. Also, I think they will need Bean but can afford to part with Geekie.

Deleted member 218451

Article in NY Post decision to qualify Strome still hasn't been made. Maybe can get in trade or if goes to free agency have to think would be a target for Chevy.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
connor scheif wheeler
ehlers. necas. holtz
copp. lowry. apples
harkins. gustafsson. geekie
jomo slavin
samberg. pionk
heinola. demelo

Apparently, Canes don't think Necas will be a C. That's why they went out and got Trocheck.
Slavin is a lefty, and I don't think they part with him.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Seems like there’s some smoke around the Laine Trade Speculation.

Brian Hayes from TSN’s Overdrive was stunned by Chevy’s response today when asked about the Laine trade rumours.

When Chevy was asked if there was any truth behind the Laine rumours, Chevy basically said “yeah, were looking at Trading some players...”

A couple valid points made during the Radio program include:

1) Why wouldn't Chevy just kill the rumours right then and there, by simply saying “we haven’t looked into any trading options at this point” (or something along the lines of a no comment) if there wasn’t some truth behind the speculation.

2) Yes, of course Chevy should listen to all GMs calling in about Laine, and he shouldn't lead GMs to believe were not willing to part ways at the right price, but his choice of words (in not squashing the rumours) risks making Laine feel unwanted here..

Note: These aren’t my opinions, but they’re valid points IMO.

Also, I recognize TSN is all about clicks and speculation, but to some extent, so is this Trade Rumour Thread..

I like my clicks and likes as much as the next lonely soul pondering potential Laine trades on a Saturday night (when the season’s only another 4 months away) lol

1) Because, yes he is looking at possibly trading - some players - plural, no names. 'No comment' would be the worst thing he could say. :laugh:
2) Once again, no names.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Domi, Fleury and 20th is the best we're going to get and it might work out. Draft Foerster at 20 as the long term wheeler replacement on CSW, Ehlers - Domi - Roslovic could work out, Hamonic in free agency and we're not exactly tanking.

Connor Schiefele Wheeler
Ehlers Domi Roslo
Copp Lowry Appleton

Morrisey Hamonic
Samberg Pionk
Beaulieu Fleury

Obviously we'd be better off with Laine banging in 50 but give that doesn't seem to be an option anymore this isn't so bad.

Habs pick is 16, not 20.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Trade Ehlers for Pulock + Rights to Ho-Sang
Trade #10 for Cirelli
Sign Hall 1-2 yr x 10m per
Sign Hamonic 2yrs x 2m per

Hall - Scheifele - Laine
Connor - Cirelli - Wheeler
Harkins - Copp - Roslovic
Perreault - Lowry - Appleton

Morrissey - Pulock
Samberg - Pionk
Heinola - Hamonic

Vezina Goalie Hellebuyck

Not trading Ehlers. Don't want Ho-Sang.
Cirelli is not worth 10.
Hamonic doesn't sign 2x2.
Where did this stuff about Hall signing short term come from? 1-2 yrs?
Other than that, I like it. :)

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Laine held out on contract negotiations and ended up with a bridge deal on par with Point. Connor signed a long term deal. It's pretty obvious that Laine's contract ask is hard for the Jets to agree to, or they would sign him long term.

Both sides wanted a bridge after Laine's poor '19 season.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
He does both quite fine. The fact he's tops on the team in 5v5 production and shot metrics, and generally the best jets lines the past few years contain ehlers is evident of this. Can he score more points? sure, just like every single other NHLer

I know his 5V5 is good - very good in fact - and it could be better when you consider his possession. He has the puck a lot and is a great zone entry player - now he needs to convert in line with his possession as a playmaker or a shooter or preferably, both. Not every single player in the game has this ability or has the puck as much as he does - he is not like every other NHL'er.
Don't take my post as criticism - it wasn't intended to be

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
What sre the teams that have been suggested to have interest in Laine by the national media?

Philadelphia
Carolina
LAK
NYI
Montreal

Any others?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Hey I was labeled a pessimist and absolutely ripped apart for saying we would get run out of the rink against Calgary. Many many posters has so many reasons why I was wrong.

Then it happened and not one said I was right. This is the life of a realist.

I don’t talk nonsense deals like Petro signings and 3 way deals with Chevy ... I just keep it real. And it rubs people the wrong way.

Your post could very well be right too

Except that isn't what happened. Nobody told you you were right, because you weren't right.

Reactions: Jets 31

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Except that isn't what happened. Nobody told you you were right, because you weren't right.

I guess we just see it differently. Like I’ve referenced before Noah hanifin mentioned on spitting chiclets that the flames felt they ran us around the rink..

I guess the opposing team that was actually on the ice doing the hitting wouldn’t know better then you ? And whoever else disagreed with me.

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
Anyone have thoughts or sufficient viewings of Phil Myers? Could Jets be trying to scoop a player following a similar trajectory as Parayko. or am I off-base in that assessment? Late blooming big, heavy RHD with top pairing potential as a steady-Eddie type and a big shot from the point?

Reactions: Upperdeckjet
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad