Proposal: Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread: Eberle Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
We're trading Eberle for a lesser player but at least make it a player who's actually useful to us.

Strome can't play in the top 6 on a team starved for top 6 players. He hasn't been good at C, he's essentially a 3W and with guys like Caggiula, Slepyshev, Kassian, Pitlick, Puljujarvi. Maybe even some dark horses like Gambardella, Foo if we sign him. Pouliot might still be here, Khaira maybe.

We have lots of depth wingers. If you are trading Eberle at least get someone who can hold their own in a 3C role.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Multiple teams: Bos, Fla

Not as porductive as Ebs:50 points

Struggled last year: 37 ponts

Protected player: Reilly Smith

Team struggled with offense: Fla

Chia knows him. He is a very good defensive forward who can pop up 50 and be solid defensively. Seeing as they want Nuge to focus more on offense, I see this as great fit on his wing.

Smith could be our version of Hossa for years to come

He's got terrific advanced stats

I'd be down with that trade.

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
If Chia trades Eberle for Bjugstad I would kindly write a letter to Nicholson for him to be fired.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
How does Smith really save us much on the cap though? 5M long term I don't think works with our cap. I'd like Smith, I just dont see how we make him fit.

To say this politely, I think many people overthink the cap. We have no clue how Chia could handle it.

RNH and Ebs will be gonzo soon enough. Then it's a whole new ball game.

When and if JP needs to get paid you cross that bridge. If Smith does his job to a tee, then you never trade him and trade JP. Or find a way to unload Reggie or Looch

Hossa has been an integral part of CHi team for many years. That guy has been their best kept secret imo. Smith is an absolute stud 2way imo.

Trying to puzzle it out longterm can go a hundred different ways imo

Glass Eyes

Jan 2, 2017
I listened to today's Oilers Now and didn't really hear the "multiple teams" comment.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
$1 million AAV is not a drop in the bucket.

It really is, it's basically a 4th liner now. If were spending big money on Draisaitl to play the top RW spot we shouldn't be spending over 4M on our second line RW. We have to consider what its going to cost us to get another top 4 dman who can put up points.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
To say this politely, I think many people overthink the cap. We have no clue how Chia could handle it.

RNH and Ebs will be gonzo soon enough. Then it's a whole new ball game.

When and if JP needs to get paid you cross that bridge. If Smith does his job to a tee, then you never trade him and trade JP. Or find a way to unload Reggie or Looch

Hossa has been an integral part of CHi team for many years. That guy has been their best kept secret imo. Smith is an absolute stud 2way imo.

Trying to puzzle it out longterm can go a hundred different ways imo

It's hard to say Hossa is really a secret. I don't think it was any secret when he signed there that he was one of the best wingers in the league.

As for managing the cap, we need another dman and that dman will most likely cost us around 6M. We can't be spending 5M on the second line RW with what Draisaitl is going to be getting paid.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Maybe if Sather was still GM of the Rangers.

There isn't any good reason why they would trade Zibanejad for Eberle.

To be fair, I saw no reason why Ottawa would trade Brassy and a 2nd for Zibanejad and a 4th...

:popcorn:

Maybe there is mouth problem there.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Is Tyler Toffoli expansion draft exempt?

Did Stauffer mean he was exempt or that he would be protected in the draft?

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
If Chia trades Eberle for Bjugstad I would kindly write a letter to Nicholson for him to be fired.

giphy.gif

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

I figured that I'd look to see what he can bring to the table and TBH he looks like he could be a very good player in our top 6. Granted this was 2 years ago but sometimes a change of scenery is what is required to turn things around. His added size would be a benefit to Nuge on the 2nd line. He scored so very sharp angled goals in this video.

Maroon-McDavid-Draisaitl
Lucic-RNH-Bjugstad

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
It's hard to say Hossa is really a secret. I don't think it was any secret when he signed there that he was one of the best wingers in the league.

As for managing the cap, we need another dman and that dman will most likely cost us around 6M. We can't be spending 5M on the second line RW with what Draisaitl is going to be getting paid.

No way I see Chia paying another dman more than his future dmen in Larsson and Klef. We also have Sekera as someone we invested in. We ain't spending that kinda coin on a dman unless one of those guys is shipped out. Plus we have Nurse and he is in the plans

Imo the plan is to elevate Nuge's game this year, and flip him in a Johannson type deal for a stud dman at a low cost next year

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Clutterbuck fits the criteria a bit

Strome and Bjugstad would fit, but they haven't been on multiple teams...

I like the Reilly Smith idea. Florida makes a ton of sense as a team that would go after Eberle, since they are moving on from Jagr

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
I figured that I'd look to see what he can bring to the table and TBH he looks like he could be a very good player in our top 6. Granted this was 2 years ago but sometimes a change of scenery is what is required to turn things around. His added size would be a benefit to Nuge on the 2nd line. He scored so very sharp angled goals in this video.

Maroon-McDavid-Draisaitl
Lucic-RNH-Bjugstad

I dont know man, you don't trade sure things for reclamation projects. Bjugstad does not excel in anything, at all, except for being big (which is nothing imo).

Reilly at least does some good things like suppress shots, at this point Bjugstad is a 3rd-4th liner. The saved cap space does not close the gap between Eberle and Bjugstad.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

Maroon-McDavid-Draisaitl
Lucic-RNH-Bjugstad

Bjugstad would be a great add, despite how he gets bashed here. I recall when he signed that extension, and most people said it was a hometown discount.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
No way I see Chia paying another dman more than his future dmen in Larsson and Klef. We also have Sekera as someone we invested in. We ain't spending that kinda coin on a dman unless one of those guys is shipped out. Plus we have Nurse and he is in the plans

Imo the plan is to elevate Nuge's game this year, and flip him in a Johannson type deal for a stud dman at a low cost next year

Pretty sure Russell will be getting more then Larsson and Klefbom this year... You have to take advantage of those deals and bring in another really good dman. Our problem this year wasn't out forwards it was once again lack of transition. Klefbom, Larsson, Sekera, and Benning all have half decent transition games. We have no elite PMD, and no D that can QB a PP. That needs to change if we truly want to contend.

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
Bjugstad would be a great add, despite how he gets bashed here. I recall when he signed that extension, and most people said it was a hometown discount.

That's when he was an okay player, he's not that anymore, and we can't squander our assets for some hope, this is literally a Mac T move.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Multiple teams: Bos, Fla

Not as porductive as Ebs:50 points

Struggled last year: 37 ponts

Protected player: Reilly Smith

Team struggled with offense: Fla

Chia knows him. He is a very good defensive forward who can pop up 50 and be solid defensively. Seeing as they want Nuge to focus more on offense, I see this as great fit on his wing.

Smith could be our version of Hossa for years to come

He's got terrific advanced stats

I don't hate the idea of Smith, but I resent calling him our version of Hossa, it seems like as Hossa has been getting older people forget just how great a player he was and toss him around in comparisons far too often.

I was reading Florida's forums a few days ago and they seem to have soured on Smith though you could say the same about our forum and Eberle, but there are some saying he shouldn't of got the deal they signed him to. Walking into a 5 year deal that pays him $5M per isn't something to take lightly, Eberle only has 2 more years even if things go completely south, it's not that hard to walk away from that one at 5 years though you are really invested in that player. The saving grace is Chia knows the kind of player he is, but you could say the same thing about Lucic and I'm not exactly thrilled about his contract.

Last statement is as McDavid's name recognition spreads across the league and he presumably becomes the premiere offensive talent in the NHL there will be multiple forwards who will want to come here just to play with him and are willing to take less money to do so, getting locked into multiple wingers making big money long term could inhibit our ability to take advantage of one of the added perks of having a generational talent.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions

I agree. Two years ago he was absolutely untouchable for the Panthers, but the emergence of Trochek really hurt his playing time. Plus he missed a bunch of games after breaking his hand in the preseason, which could have affected him all season.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
That's when he was an okay player, he's not that anymore, and we can't squander our assets for some hope, this is literally a Mac T move.

LOL, RNH still young and has potential. Bjustad is a crap player and can never improve. The bias on this board is amazing. Two years ago everyone would have been amazed if we were able to land Bjustad. Guy isn't that bad from what I've seen.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Bjugstad's best season is Patrick Maroon, except Maroon knows where the defensive zone is and gets paid 1 mil

We got Maroon for table scraps

Now people want to use Ebs to get a 4.1mil albatross contract?

If Fla is serious about winning, do people not realize that they will be looking to unload this guy for pennies?

We could get Bjugstad for Oesterle and a 5th

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I don't hate the idea of Smith, but I resent calling him our version of Hossa, it seems like as Hossa has been getting older people forget just how great a player he was and toss him around in comparisons far too often.

I was reading Florida's forums a few days ago and they seem to have soured on Smith though you could say the same about our forum and Eberle, but there are some saying he shouldn't of got the deal they signed him to. Walking into a 5 year deal that pays him $5M per isn't something to take lightly, Eberle only has 2 more years even if things go completely south, it's not that hard to walk away from that one at 5 years though you are really invested in that player. The saving grace is Chia knows the kind of player he is, but you could say the same thing about Lucic and I'm not exactly thrilled about his contract.

Last statement is as McDavid's name recognition spreads across the league and he presumably becomes the premiere offensive talent in the NHL there will be multiple forwards who will want to come here just to play with him and are willing to take less money to do so, getting locked into multiple wingers making big money long term could inhibit our ability to take advantage of one of the added perks of having a generational talent.

Yea its crazy. When Chicago sign Hossa he was arguably one of the top 10 wingers in the league. For a comparison it'd be like us signing Jamie Benn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad