Proposal: Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread: Eberle Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Continue

The more I hear the more I think keeping Eberle is the best option.

Can I at least get credit for cracking the hints if it is Duclair or Grigorenko? :laugh:

We have this tendency on here to over-rate certain players based on small sample sizes. Slepyshev and Caggiula are a couple of them--Pitlick another. The first two had a phenomenal playoffs. But prepare to see some of these types of guys turn into pumpkins next year--a childhood reference if it goes over your head... The playoffs are a completely different monster than the regular season. Look at Fernando Pisani as a glaring example.

Caggiula put up 18 points last year, Slepyshev 10. Strome is the same frigging age as both of them and he has a 50 point season under his belt.

Come on, people. Common sense.

Sounds a lot like Duclair to me. Maybe you can do Duclair + 23rd overall and then move the additional 1st for Barrie or Vatanen? I don't know, just spitballing here.

Duclair also had a 20 goal season at age 20. It's hard to say with young forwards. Some of them peak really early and don't really ever get back to the same level.

Why? So we get taken to the woodshed next summer when the cap becomes a thing?

Eberle has four of them and most people on here are willing to kick him to the curb for worse players and cap dumps.

Duclair is LW and shoots left ... do we need that

3 years ago. Then a 28 and then a 30 point season and overall regressingnumbers. This was both of Cagguilas and Slepyshevs rookie season, both showed signing of improvement throughout the seaosn (disregarding playoffs all together)

Strome is on rung 6 of a ladder and stagnate or climbing down, Cagguila/Slepyshev are on runk 3 and climbing

Anyway, 30 point players are incredibly replaceable and nothing special

What? You don't like being right, either? :laugh:

For what it's worth, if we don't get MDC (or a similar prospect) too, I'll be supremely disappointed. Chiarelli can eat a contract like Halak or Kulemin. There is absolutely no reason not to if it improves our return.

Agreed. Strome gets a 50 point season 3 years ago and people act likes hes a young stud. Eberle scores 51 in one of the worst seasons ever for him, with incredibly poor luck, and people want to send him to the sun. I get the $ difference, but that should put into perspective how much better Eberle is, and how average to poor Strome is

eberle has had 6 of them i wouldnt trade eberle for duclair even if eberle lost an arm.

For me, it's a RHD for Eberle or a younger RW if you know you can sign Williams or someone as a stop gap for our young RWs.

I do fear Chiarelli wants to be a bit of a populist GM and listens to Oil Country a bit too much for my liking. The rumors seem like a bit of a lazy GM (but its stuaffer so who knows)

Id rather hear reports us being in on Kovalchuk or Vatanen or whomever. Versus us resigning Russell, trading Eberle and trading for Strome likely because hes high pick and well known to the masses. Im not against dealing Eberle, just get creative and identify a good player; even if fans dont know much about him

I trust Chiarelli, just think A) He finds the old core so toxic that hes blinded a bit. B) Seems to want to be liked, more than to make a risky move. Who knows what fires he has his irons in, but just from rumors it doesnt seem like many

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Getting started off on a different foot: Would anyone deal 1st (22nd) + Benson/Nemo for Tanev?

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
From the previous thread:

Eberle has four of them and most people on here are willing to kick him to the curb for worse players and cap dumps.

The unfortunate part of the salary cap. Kind of a double-edged sword for the posters constantly throwing the guy under the bus all season, huh?

3 years ago. Then a 28 and then a 30 point season and overall regressingnumbers. This was both of Cagguilas and Slepyshevs rookie season, both showed signing of improvement throughout the seaosn (disregarding playoffs all together)

Strome is on rung 6 of a ladder and stagnate or climbing down, Cagguila/Slepyshev are on runk 3 and climbing

Anyway, 30 point players are incredibly replaceable and nothing special

And does it really need to be said that development doesn't always go in a straight line?

Strome is a RH skilled center who can play wing as well. He can one-time a puck as well--something Eberle had a problem with. He's a versatile forward that checks some boxes this team needs, even if it's not in a top six role immediately.

People saw Maroon turn into a 27 goal forward in a matter of 18 months after Anaheim could get rid of the guy fast enough. Was he crawling down the ladder, too?

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
Since most of the discussion you quoted from the last thread were in response to soothsayer's post, I figure maybe we should put his post in there too.

Here it is:

soothsayer said:
Alright, I've listen to the segment again.

Here is what Bob said, without my half-ass interpretation:

-Forward similar to Eberle, who gets protected from the expansion draft
-He has a lower price point than Eberle
-Less proven of a scorer
-Has had a challenging year or two
-Comes from a team who needs offense

On second listen, it sounds more like informed speculation on Bob's part, although it does sound like he knows a target.

He said NO Jenner, NO Kane. Strome "theoretically" makes sense.

So there you have it. I think I greased the wheels a little too much with my previous post.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Getting started off on a different foot: Would anyone deal 1st (22nd) + Benson/Nemo for Tanev?

Yeah I would probably do it after expansion draft.

That being said I do think the team needs to start building a lot more forward depth in terms of prospects. But I would probably make the trade. I would rather trade Niema than Benson though.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
I'd say that if Chiarelli was worried about popularity or doing the easy thing, Hall would still be an Oiler and he sure as hell wouldn't have traded him for Adam "less sexy than an Austin Marina" Larsson.

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
I'd be down for Eberle for Gallagher, Gallagher does a few things better than Eberle, unlike Strome.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
From the previous thread:

The unfortunate part of the salary cap. Kind of a double-edged sword for the posters constantly throwing the guy under the bus all season, huh?

And does it really need to be said that development doesn't always go in a straight line?

Strome is a RH skilled center who can play wing as well. He can one-time a puck as well--something Eberle had a problem with. He's a versatile forward that checks some boxes this team needs, even if it's not in a top six role immediately.

People saw Maroon turn into a 27 goal forward in a matter of 18 months after Anaheim could get rid of the guy fast enough. Was he crawling down the ladder, too?

Yes development isnt a straight line, as we saw with Strome. You can go from top pick to 50 points, to a average depth player pretty quickly.

Interesting you bring up Maroon for 2 reasons:

1> What did we pay to get him? 5th round + bust. Not a 25 goal scorer. Maroon was a bet and we paid pennies on the dollar to make it. We didnt deal $10 for a lottery ticket with a chance of winning $11

2> In the year Maroon got traded he had career low shooting %, PDO and on ice shooting %, still very solid underlying numbers. In Stromes case, hes the opposite, his underlying numbers are regressing, his luck stats are way up. So 30 points flatter him

Shots/60 from rookie year to now: 9.36, 8.68, 7.07, 6.09. Regression every year. Possession? 45% this year, absymal

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Another thing to mention Re: Strome- He is/was likely to be exposed in the expansion draft due to them needing to protect 4 or 5 of their D (including pulock). Id say that a pretty poor inclination of how hes valued on his own team. Theyd be willing to lose him for nothing

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond

Edmonton would, but I think Vancouver would block Chiarelli's number if that was offered to them for Tanev.

As it stands, I really do think the Oilers won't be trading their 1st rounder unless it's slightly down to get additional 2nd and 3rd round picks. Their prospect system is showing the strain of not having a 2nd or 3rd round pick in both the 2014 and 2015 drafts, and they won't have a 2nd rounder in this draft either...so as things stand that'll be 3 out of the last 4 drafts where they did not have a 2nd round pick due to Chiarelli (from his trades and the due compensation to Boston). I think at least for this year anyway he won't be burning more top 90 picks to shore up immediate needs, as the prospect pool is starting to show the strain.

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
Another thing to mention Re: Strome- He is/was likely to be exposed in the expansion draft due to them needing to protect 4 or 5 of their D (including pulock). Id say that a pretty poor inclination of how hes valued on his own team. Theyd be willing to lose him for nothing

I don't think you can use that argument here, a lot of crazies on these boards would do the same to Eberle :laugh:

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Edmonton would, but I think Vancouver would block Chiarelli's number if that was offered to them for Tanev.

As it stands, I really do think the Oilers won't be trading their 1st rounder unless it's slightly down to get additional 2nd and 3rd round picks. Their prospect system is showing the strain of not having a 2nd or 3rd round pick in both the 2014 and 2015 drafts, and they won't have a 2nd rounder in this draft either...so as things stand that'll be 3 out of the last 4 drafts where they did not have a 2nd round pick due to Chiarelli (from his trades and the due compensation to Boston). I think at least for this year anyway he won't be burning more top 90 picks to shore up immediate needs, as the prospect pool is starting to show the strain.

Rumor that price for Tanev was 1st + decent prospect. Id say that fits the bill pretty well. Maybe add something else but I think this is what the base of a deal for Tanev will be

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

Absolutely. A top 4 d consisting of Klefbom, Larsson, Sekera, and Tanev would make our blue line deep. Add in Benning + Nurse on the bottom pairing and its all set.

I'm not sure if Benning would want to trade with a division rival in our Oilers, but he's made some pretty questionable trades in his history thus far.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Aceboogie said:
I do fear Chiarelli wants to be a bit of a populist GM and listens to Oil Country a bit too much for my liking. The rumors seem like a bit of a lazy GM (but its stuaffer so who knows)

Id rather hear reports us being in on Kovalchuk or Vatanen or whomever. Versus us resigning Russell, trading Eberle and trading for Strome likely because hes high pick and well known to the masses. Im not against dealing Eberle, just get creative and identify a good player; even if fans dont know much about him

I trust Chiarelli, just think A) He finds the old core so toxic that hes blinded a bit. B) Seems to want to be liked, more than to make a risky move. Who knows what fires he has his irons in, but just from rumors it doesnt seem like many

Are we talking about the same Chiarelli? The guy that traded Hall? The GM in the league with the biggest balls when it comes to pulling the trigger on big, controversial deals? Don't think he cares one bit who he is perceived by media/fans. He only cares about improving his hockey team.

Also I wouldn't trust the rumors too much, most of Chia's deals has been out of left-field. Even the Larsson deal wasn't talked or rumored about at all except for a cryptic tweet by Stauffer a few days before the deal went down (iirc).

Glass Eyes

Jan 2, 2017
That sounds like either Duclair or Smith, and I'd only like it if it's Smith. Duclair has been awful since his one ok year.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Are we talking about the same Chiarelli? The guy that traded Hall? The GM in the league with the biggest balls when it comes to pulling the trigger on big, controversial deals? Don't think he cares one bit who he is perceived by media/fans. He only cares about improving his hockey team.

Also I wouldn't trust the rumors too much, most of Chia's deals has been out of left-field. Even the Larsson deal wasn't talked or rumored about at all except for a cryptic tweet by Stauffer a few days before the deal went down (iirc).

This is true. I was just basing that statement on rumors from Stauffer so not fair to Chiarelli whos made a number of smart deals from left field. Benning, Maroon and even Russell being some

I have faith in Chiarelli now that hes dealing from a position of strength. Last year and 2015 offseason he was in a position of weakness with team being so bad

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
That sounds like either Duclair or Smith, and I'd only like it if it's Smith. Duclair has been awful since his one ok year.

If I had to rank potential returns based on Bob's cryptic mesage
Top-end: Gallagher
Mid-point: Smith
Absolutegarbo: Strome or Duclair

jeg

Jun 16, 2015
I think if we were moving 1st and a Prospect for a D i would be looking at other D rather then Tanev. He's decent but i dont feel like hes what our D needs.
I would rather gamble on a Vatanen/Dumba type D for our 2RD position

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
If I had to rank potential returns based on Bob's cryptic mesage
Top-end: Gallagher
Mid-point: Smith
Absolutegarbo: Strome or Duclair

I would put Zibanejad into the top tier, based on what Bob said today. I know he doesn't sound as likely as someone like Strome, but I think it's possible.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I would put Zibanejad into the top tier, based on what Bob said today. I know he doesn't sound as likely as someone like Strome, but I think it's possible.

Maybe if Sather was still GM of the Rangers.

There isn't any good reason why they would trade Zibanejad for Eberle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad