Proposal: Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread: Do We Need a Dman Still?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
We don't know when he'll be back. Management should have a lot better idea than we do and it likely will factor into them making or not making any trades.
Well all signs point to December and even when he does return he's not likely to be 100%. It was absolutely silly to not cover his injury in some way.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
We we failed him as much as he failed us. No coach here ever had the balls to give him the benefit of the doubt. If he was Canadian he would have got that opportunity. Look at Bennett and Lazar ffs.
Those two have combined for a single assist so far this season...

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
you mean his KHL team where he was being benched as well, long before he played for Eakins?
Are we talking about Yakupov? The player had his deficiencies, but to suggest that Dallas Eakins didn't (basically) systematic ruin him as a player is just false. Again, Yakupov likely doesn't become Ovechkin-lite if he gets to develop under someone actually trying to develop him, but he does a lot better then where he ended up under Eakins emotional abuse, :laugh:

Yakupov wasn't a world beater, but Eakins is to blame for a lot of meteoric fall into the realm of bust.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Wings are listening to offers on Athanasiou, maybe you could make a larger deal with the Wings to get some veteran support for the blueline.

To DET: Benning, Fayne, Slepyshev and 2018 2nd round pick

To EDM: Athanasiou and Kronwall

Then you could go with

Maroon - McDavid - Draisaitl
Lucic - Nuge - Strome
Jokinen - Athanasiou - Kassian
Caggiula/Khaira - Letestu - Pakarinen

Klefbom - Larsson
Russell/Nurse - Kronwall
Nurse/Russell - Gryba
Auvitu

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Wings are listening to offers on Athanasiou, maybe you could make a larger deal with the Wings to get some veteran support for the blueline.

Then you could go with

Lucic - Nuge - Strome

Klefbom - Larsson
Russell/Nurse - Kronwall
Nurse/Russell - Gryba
Auvitu

Kronwall is injured right now though he may be back. But he is also close to being done. So long term this deal is Benning, Slepyshev and a 2nd for Athanasiou. NOt really a very attractive offer from the Oilers perspective.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Kronwall is injured right now though he may be back. But he is also close to being done. So long term this deal is Benning, Slepyshev and a 2nd for Athanasiou. NOt really a very attractive offer from the Oilers perspective.
I thought I saw him playing the other night? And I agree, that he isn't on the "right" side of 35, but he's veteran and should provide support and stability while the team waits for Sekera to return.

Still DRAI

Jun 15, 2013
Kronwall hasn't played 80 games since 2014 and has a chronic knee injury. He's not veteran support, he's a cap dump if he's not just a permanent LTIR candidate.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
There is not a lot of evidence to support the idea that Athanasiou is the answer to any RW scoring issues. The attraction is that he is extremely fast. But he is 23 and has 43 NHL points. He's never been even all that close to a ppg in the AHL nor were his junior numbers all that impressive. He's an OHL guy who I saw a fair bit of as a junior. His incredible speed and skill suggested that he should have been able to dominate but typically one is left wanting more. If you want to take a chance on a kid from the Wings the guy you would pick is Mantha. But of course the price would be much higher since one is available and the other is not and there are very good reasons why this is so.
I tend to agree and think if it were between the two, I'd probably opt for Leivo, especially considering the cost. But I wouldn't count out Athanasiou being a special case. Putting up 18 goals at that age is quite the feat, especially when you consider the limited ice time. Teams looking to acquire him likely see him as a guy who's going to put up some decent numbers.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014

Then you could go with

Lucic - Nuge - Strome

Klefbom - Larsson
Russell/Nurse - Kronwall
Nurse/Russell - Gryba
Auvitu

Easy no from the Wings. Not only are you offering nothing of any quality, they already said they want a similar aged or younger forward with scoring potential coming back.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
At the beginning of last year, even though their record was stellar, the Oilers tossed up some Eakins-level turds. Hell, they had games where they looked like the worst team in the league up until about 20 games before the playoffs.

The first 10 games of the season are always a wash in terms of assessing teams. With that said, we all knew the defense would be a problem. Was Benning really good enough to anchor the second line with Russel? Is Gryba really a regular with Nurse, even if on the bottom line? I do think that with a healthy Sekera, this is a defense that can win a cup, assuming that everyone plays as well as last year.

I see only one possible solution to the Oilers' potential issues on defense: 1st 2018+2nd 2018+Nuge+Bear for Drew Doughty.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Seeing how Galchenyuk is playing the 4th line and the Canadiens need a change, why not RNH for Galchenyuk? Add on either side to make it fair? We could use a winger like Galchenyuk and Montreal needs a center badly. Maybe RNH, Fayne (Retained) for Galchenyuk and Davidson?

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Are we talking about Yakupov? The player had his deficiencies, but to suggest that Dallas Eakins didn't (basically) systematic ruin him as a player is just false. Again, Yakupov likely doesn't become Ovechkin-lite if he gets to develop under someone actually trying to develop him, but he does a lot better then where he ended up under Eakins emotional abuse, :laugh:

Yakupov wasn't a world beater, but Eakins is to blame for a lot of meteoric fall into the realm of bust.

Sir you are 100% right. Kruger had the boys playing good in the short lock out season. The players were buying in and liked Kruger. MacT screws up big time and cans him for Eakins.

I have 2 funny stories about Eakins:

1.) I was in Boston watching the Bruins and Oilers in 2011 and 2014. We got beat both games pretty easily. During a 3rd period stoppage in play, I yelled quite a few rude comments at Eakins. I was 8 rows of the ice and close to the Oilers bench, so he heard me. I told him he sucked and to comb his hair basically and he was getting fired. The Bruin fans loved it. He shot me a very dirty look and I shot him 2 middle fingers. Not long after, Eakins was fired. Your welcome Oilernation.

2.) I have a buddy who played for the Moncton Hawks of the AHL in the 90's. Its ironic because both Todd Nelson and Eakins were both playing. He said after the games no one could see the coach in his office because Dallas was always in the coaches office underneath his desk (Ill let you fill in the blanks). He told me that Eakins was a big bag licker and Nelson was a great fella

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
At the beginning of last year, even though their record was stellar, the Oilers tossed up some Eakins-level turds. Hell, they had games where they looked like the worst team in the league up until about 20 games before the playoffs.

The first 10 games of the season are always a wash in terms of assessing teams. With that said, we all knew the defense would be a problem. Was Benning really good enough to anchor the second line with Russel? Is Gryba really a regular with Nurse, even if on the bottom line? I do think that with a healthy Sekera, this is a defense that can win a cup, assuming that everyone plays as well as last year.

I see only one possible solution to the Oilers' potential issues on defense: 1st 2018+2nd 2018+Nuge+Bear for Drew Doughty.

I like Doughty but too much of a payment

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

Yak was also too stubborn to listen to anyone but his dad and a few others. Like Dubnyk, maybe this wake up call is what he really needed. Hell, if I'm reading this correctly, Yak wanted to be on top lines or trade him

Seeing how Galchenyuk is playing the 4th line and the Canadiens need a change, why not RNH for Galchenyuk? Add on either side to make it fair? We could use a winger like Galchenyuk and Montreal needs a center badly. Maybe RNH, Fayne (Retained) for Galchenyuk and Davidson?

I'm not a big RNH fan but so far, he's been pretty good so I'm not sure I'd do that yet.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Yak was also too stubborn to listen to anyone but his dad and a few others. Like Dubnyk, maybe this wake up call is what he really needed. Hell, if I'm reading this correctly, Yak wanted to be on top lines or trade him

I'm not a big RNH fan but so far, he's been pretty good so I'm not sure I'd do that yet.

GalchenYUK.
Guy can play well offensively at times but his defensive game is worse than Eberles.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

Yeah he could have been, but it's still significantly on Eakins who did little to actual develop the player. There were a lot of problems, Eakins has a significant hand in them.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Yeah he could have been, but it's still significantly on Eakins who did little to actual develop the player. There were a lot of problems, Eakins has a significant hand in them.

St Louis coaches treated him the same.

Maybe the player should be blamed a little more then Eakins.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Blues fans were giving us the gears about how they stole a first line talent from the incompetent Oilers 3 games into last season too.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
St Louis coaches treated him the same.

Maybe the player should be blamed a little more then Eakins.
Yeah, but you say that because your stance on Russians. St Louis got the cast away player, they didn't treat him "the same" they treated him like a 12/13th forward, which is what he was on that team.

On the Oilers he's was a developing prospect, and Eakins' development tactic of emotionally abusing Yakupov didn't really work. It's not super conducive to player or their development to benched and blamed constantly for things while at the same time NEVER talking to about this discipline.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Yak will be lucky to score 10 goals this season...I remember when he scored 2 goals last year against Dubnyk and Minnesota early on in the season
You obviously haven't been watching him this season. He's been playing with confidence on a team that really has nothing to lose by giving him the opportunity to produce. I'd easily take that bet and believe it's likely he sees 50+ points this season should he see significant time next to Duchene.

oilers89

Jun 4, 2008
Medicine Hat
I woukdnt be against trading for galchenyuk. I think be could be a good trigger man. But im nit trading RNH for him. Nuge us way more important to our team then people realize and he is off to a good start.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
AA in an Oilers jersey would be nuts. He's big, fast, with good hands. And he needs out of Detroit.

The Oilers absolutely do not want Kronwall, his body is done.

I don't know enough about trades / depth / the cap - but obviously the Wings really only want D at this point - either young or prospects.

With that said, Ken Holland doesn't make many notable trades that aren't for washed up 3rd liners or 30+ year old D men.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad