Proposal: Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread: Do We Need a Dman Still?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
This organization dealt Yakupov a crappy hand, nobody denies this.

That same crappy hand was dealt to Hall and RNH, who were the best players on the team while Nail was the worst regular player in the NHL.

without starting a war--based upon a lot of things said--there was a problem in the oilers dressing room the ended up carrying over onto the ice.

there is a reason why there are only like 5 players left from prior Chia Pet coming.

I personally think Yak was not treated the best by his fellow players(the core)

the oilers gave away a few players just to get rid of them for a reason

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I tend to agree and think if it were between the two, I'd probably opt for Leivo, especially considering the cost. But I wouldn't count out Athanasiou being a special case. Putting up 18 goals at that age is quite the feat, especially when you consider the limited ice time. Teams looking to acquire him likely see him as a guy who's going to put up some decent numbers.

He's a skilled guy but inconsistency has been a big problem over the years. He's also the type of player who could get 20 goals and 35 points so he is not going to have nearly the impact on a team's offensive production that a typical 20 goal scorer might have.

I would not be completely against a trade for him but I suspect the cost will be more than the benefit gained.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I'm liking that top6. Caggiula is expendable IMO especially if AA is what we are getting back.

In isolation Caggiula is a tradable asset. But it is the circumstance of how they got him that makes this tough. If he was an Oiler draftee maybe. But he chose to come to the Oilers over
every other team and because of that I think they will be reluctant to move him fro a while yet at least.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
I'd be shocked if Detroit would want Caggiula for AA.

I'm guessing they would want JP.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
In isolation Caggiula is a tradable asset. But it is the circumstance of how they got him that makes this tough. If he was an Oiler draftee maybe. But he chose to come to the Oilers over
every other team and because of that I think they will be reluctant to move him fro a while yet at least.
The Oilers need to get over this sentiment. Guys who chose us over other teams deem them less expendable like we owe them something. It's a privilege to play in the NHL and they got paid. We sent them to a team that is a better fit for them and in turns it also benefitted us and that's how we should look at it. It's business. No hard feelings. Caggiula has no place on this team other than the 3LW. He's not a top 6 on this team simply because he doesn't have chemistry with either McDavid or Drai. Right now is the perfect time to turn a free asset into a better asset. Add a pick if we have to.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I thought I saw him playing the other night? And I agree, that he isn't on the "right" side of 35, but he's veteran and should provide support and stability while the team waits for Sekera to return.

Kronwall has yet to play this year, He has had his last two seasons significantly impacted by serious knee injuries, is going to be 37 in January and has two more years left at $4.75M. Even if he was able to play effectively this year which is a big if, there is no way they take on a guy in his situation with $4.75M on the cap for next year with a 10 team NTC as well.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
The Oilers need to get over this sentiment. Guys who chose us over other teams deem them less expendable like we owe them something. It's a privilege to play in the NHL and they got paid. We sent them to a team that is a better fit for them and in turns it also benefitted us and that's how we should look at it. It's business. No hard feelings. Caggiula has no place on this team other than the 3LW. He's not a top 6 on this team simply because he doesn't have chemistry with either McDavid or Drai. Right now is the perfect time to turn a free asset into a better asset. Add a pick if we have to.

Players like Cagguila choose to go to teams that they feel they have a chance to succeed with. How those teams treat players is a big part of the equation. Acting as you suggest means you are far less likely to get these "free assets" in the future.

Reactions: smokersarejokers

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Players like Cagguila choose to go to teams that they feel they have a chance to succeed with. How those teams treat players is a big part of the equation. Acting as you suggest means you are far less likely to get these "free assets" in the future.
Chicago made Panarin a rich man and I doubt free agents are going to shy away from Chicago because of how they treated Panarin.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Chicago made Panarin a rich man and I doubt free agents are going to shy away from Chicago because of how they treated Panarin.

Panarin was traded because the team could not afford his next contract. There is a reason his deal is only 2 years long. He understands this. He was fully established as an NHL star at the time he was dealt. He also played two complete seasons in the NHL with one of the games best players to make himself a valuable commodity. So his situation is quite exceptional.

Now if next year Caggiula asks for $3M then he can expect to also be traded. But right now I suspect that the Oilers would not want to move him.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Panarin was traded because the team could not afford his next contract. There is a reason his deal is only 2 years long. He understands this. He was fully established as an NHL star at the time he was dealt. He also played two complete seasons in the NHL with one of the games best players to make himself a valuable commodity. So his situation is quite exceptional.

Now if next year Caggiula asks for $3M then he can expect to also be traded. But right now I suspect that the Oilers would not want to move him.

Being over sentimental about a player and their feelings because they chose to sign with us is not what we should be leaning towards. We as an organization owe only 1 player something. That's Connor McDavid for turning this disaster around. You build the best possible team around him. AA gives you a line no one can match. the speed, finesse and size would be mindblowing, then you move Dre to the 2nd line. Now your a 2 line team instead of a 1 line team. when a player of AA is available, you make that deal 10/10. It was fun playing with ya Drake.

Kagomeboy

HF board regular Otaku
Mar 7, 2017
Coquitlam
Being over sentimental about a player and their feelings because they chose to sign with us is not what we should be leaning towards. We as an organization owe only 1 player something. That's Connor McDavid for turning this disaster around. You build the best possible team around him. AA gives you a line no one can match. the speed, finesse and size would be mindblowing, then you move Dre to the 2nd line. Now your a 2 line team instead of a 1 line team. when a player of AA is available, you make that deal 10/10. It was fun playing with ya Drake.

Server the consequence of hurting your oragnizati0n rep.Heck no.The poster was right.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
You have a habit, though, of vastly overrating players from out of market.

You think Detroit, who has explicitly said they want someone the same age or younger with a similar scoring prowess, would trade AA and an NHL defenceman for RNH and a cap dump?

What am I missing here?

Its a bad proposal.

Reactions: ulyssesjoyce

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

It's not a question of owing Caggiula anything. It is a question of treating players in a manner that makes your franchise attractive to players with a choice of where they want to play going forward.

People are talking about AA like he was some proven superstar. This is a player who has one elite attribute but who has had issues with consistency dating back to junior. If he has such mind blowing talent why has it never materialized at any other level. And he wants to get paid more than his accomplishments merit so its not like he has a track record of being a great team guy either.

As a hockey deal I would trade Caggiula for AA of course if you ignore the way in which the Oilers acquired Caggiula. But the Wings would not. The price for him is going to be steeper than many here would expect or he would be gone already. What is not clear to me though is that he is the answer on the right side outside of possibly the very short term. Especially if you factor in that the Oilers have Puljujarvi and Yamamoto who have both been far better players at similar stages of their career.

Reactions: ulyssesjoyce

Kagomeboy

HF board regular Otaku
Mar 7, 2017
Coquitlam
It's not a question of owing Caggiula anything. It is a question of treating players in a manner that makes your franchise attractive to players with a choice of where they want to play going forward.

People are talking about AA like he was some proven superstar. This is a player who has one elite attribute but who has had issues with consistency dating back to junior. If he has such mind blowing talent why has it never materialized at any other level. And he wants to get paid more than his accomplishments merit so its not like he has a track record of being a great team guy either.

As a hockey deal I would trade Caggiula for AA of course if you ignore the way in which the Oilers acquired Caggiula. But the Wings would not. The price for him is going to be steeper than many here would expect or he would be gone already. What is not clear to me though is that he is the answer on the right side outside of possibly the very short term. Especially if you factor in that the Oilers have Puljujarvi and Yamamoto who have both been far better players at similar stages of their career.

It is always the sexy players they want but do not want to pay the price to get them.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Server the consequence of hurting your oragnizati0n rep.Heck no.The poster was right.
It's not a disfavor to Caggiula if he's going from being an afterthought and buried in the bottom 6 on the Oilers to possible getting a more important role on the Wings.

Reactions: McFlash97

Kagomeboy

HF board regular Otaku
Mar 7, 2017
Coquitlam
It's not a disfavor to Caggiula if he's going from being an afterthought and buried in the bottom 6 on the Oilers to possible getting a more important role on the Wings.
How is he being an aftterthoght?he is still being developed.Also the Wings will not want him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->