Proposal: Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread: Do We Need a Dman Still?

Discussion in 'Edmonton Oilers' started by The Nuge, Oct 3, 2017.

1. frag2

frag2 Registered User

Well, when Rishaug reports that Yak didn't even listen during practice and instead, elected to practice only on shooting, I don't blame Eakin's for being a harsh to him. Eakins was an idiot but it was up to Yak to also tow the company line. A case of blind leading the blind but Yak was also deaf too.

booyakasha likes this.
  2. CantHaveTkachev

CantHaveTkachev no joke of a team

Yak scored his first goal on a goalie last night...had 2 fluky goals before that, so yes 10 goals is a stretch

and Yak scoring 50 points? gimme a break, Duchene will be traded eventually and no way the Avs keep up this pace

3. CycloneSweep

CycloneSweep Registered User

Just watch. AA to Calgary for like... Lazar.

McDrai likes this.
  4. Jimmi McJenkins

Jimmi McJenkins Sometimes Miracles

Public Servant
    Fair enough, again I still lean on Eakins more, because he didn't seem like he understood what kind of team he was going to coaching (Also he didn't know what he was doing on the whole)

SomeDudeOTI likes this.
  5. oXo Cube

oXo Cube Termite

This organization dealt Yakupov a crappy hand, nobody denies this.

That same crappy hand was dealt to Hall and RNH, who were the best players on the team while Nail was the worst regular player in the NHL.

booyakasha and frag2 like this.
  6. belair

belair Registered User

Like I said, I'd take that bet easily. There aren't a ton of goal scorers on that roster and the Avs didn't sign the kid to dick him around. He'll get every opportunity to produce in that lineup. We have no idea what Sakic's plan is with Duchene but in the meantime that line is one of the better ones productively at this point in the season. Be prepared to have that kid prove you wrong.

7. Jimmi McJenkins

Public Servant
    I suspect, as well, that they'll look to flip him when interest is at it's highest if he continues to have a strong season.

8. Jimmi McJenkins

Public Servant
    Mark Streit on waivers, any interest?

Edit: Also, Tokarski was traded to the Flyers on Monday, lol

Aerrol likes this.
  9. CycloneSweep

I mean, not really. A little too old and another left shot. I think he is done as a player though.

10. Jimmi McJenkins

Public Servant
    That's about what I figured of the player as well. Just curious with the concerns on the blueline for the team. I mean he's more experience then Auvitu, but he likely can't bring as much as Auvitu at this point.

11. mullet

mullet Registered User

Only if we can move contracts out in trade.

12. McCanovin

McCanovin 1% is the new 11.5%

Oilers need to find a way to get Athanasiou and McDavid on the same line

Kid can fly and he can finish

13. guymez

guymez The Seldom Seen Kid

Athanasiou would be a great pickup.

14. Aerrol

Aerrol ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

I would have had interest even early last year but he's shown that he's done. Too bad, could've used the decent version of him.

15. McDuul

McDuul Registered User

I am having trouble figuring out why people like Elliott Friedman are claiming we have a 'deep defence'. After spending a lot of time thinking and comparing, it seems that we have one of the worst defences in the entire NHL.

People check advanced stats which show Klefbom being a top 5-7 defenceman in the NHL, yet he is routinely one of our worst. He produces shots which look good on analytics, but he gives up so much the other way and more often than not looks atrocious at actually defending AND moving the puck up the ice. Panicking and ruining our breakouts. The same can be said about almost every single one of our defencemen sans Larsson.

We have one good defenceman, and that is Larsson. He is the only Dman on this roster who can defend well. He is the only defenceman who can more often than not make a breakout pass calmly. He is our most physical defenceman and this season has already shown an offensive flair that is more impressive than any of our others.

This team is full of 3rd pairing defencemen playing above their level. You can see that this is true on the ice when they collect the puck in our own zone and make a 'play' with it. This 'play' is almost 100% of the time ringing it around the boards, coughing it up, or icing the puck. Contrast this to nearly every single team we play against who has at least 3-4 defencemen who are efficiently moving the puck quickly to their centreman or a winger and making a touch pass out of the zone with speed. We see McDavid skate out of our zone with speed maybe once a game, or less, while other teams centres get this opportunity 7-10+ times. Our defencemen are atrocious at moving the puck, because every single one sans Larsson overhandle it at the wrong times.

Klefbom-Larsson
    Russell-Benning
    Nurse-Gryba
    Auvitu

I would argue only three of those defencemen (Klefbom, Larsson, Russell) should be playing in the NHL on a contending team. With Sekera back, it will push one out (Gryba), but we are still so horribly lacking on defence. You can see the frustration on our centres as they circle around in our own zone unable to do anything while our D cough pucks up or pass it into their skates/behind them. I am not sure if I can fully blame Chiarelli for this, as we saw the price tag on a promising but unproven good defenceman in Larsson. It's very hard to acquire good D, and two of our best D in Russell and Sekera were acquired through free agency.

In my opinion, we need at least one more very good defenceman ASAP. I doubt one is available through the league, but if they are, Chiarelli will have to and SHOULD overpay for them. This will have to include a first round pick, a high end prospect like Puljujarvi/Yamamoto, and a good defensive prospect like Nurse. It will be worth it, because we are going to start sinking quickly with such a bad group of D on the back end. Our D generate almost no offence, and give up horrible opportunities the other way. If I have to see Gryba get burned 5x a game even once more, I am gonna lose my mind. If I see Nurse turn the puck over 10x in a game even once more, I am gonna lose my mind. These guys should not be playing NHL games. Benning was looking atrocious as well.

I really hope Chiarelli sees what me and a lot of people here are seeing. Our defence is nowhere near good enough to contend for a cup. We got by last year on adrenaline and luck. I would be fine if our D were bad at defence but they could make nice passes to generate offence so we could try to outscore out problems. They can't produce on either side of the puck. This is a glaring issue and it's going to be the bane of this team all year long until Chiarelli makes a move or two. Sekera alone won't come close to fixing what is wrong here.

16. Joey Moss

Joey Moss 5-14-6-1

Student
    Detroit wants a comparable player to Athanasiou with similar age.. I like Slepyshev but I wonder if something like Slepy and a pick or prospect could get us Athanasiou? I think he'd be a better fit.

17. CycloneSweep

I wanted to see where our defense compared to against the division, so here are the divisional teams defense
    Note: I am putting the teams current defenses, so injured players are missing

Arizona
    OEL, Hammer, Goligoski, Demers, Connauton, Schenn

Anaheim
    Fowler, Manson, Beauchemin, Montour, Holzer, Bieksa

Calgary
    Giordano, Hamilton, Brodie, Hamonic, Bartkowski, Stone

Edmonton
    Klefbom, Larsson, Russell, Benning, Nurse, Gryba

LA
    Forbort, Doughty, Muzzin, Folin, Macdermid, Fantenberg

San Jose
    Ryan, Burns, Vlasic, Braun, Heed, Dillon

Vegas
    Schmidt, Sbisa, Miller, Garrison, Engellend, McNabb

Vancouver
    Edler, Tanev, Del Zotto, Gudbranson, Hutton, Stecher

So the only teams there that is straight up worse is....Vancouver, LA and Vegas. The rest have better defense.

18. McDuul

McDuul Registered User

You think Vancouver and L.A. have straight up worse defence than us? I would say Vancouver's is just as bad, could be better. L.A. has Doughty and Muzzin who are better than any of our defencemen. They can't be any worse. We arguably have the worst D in the pacific after LV.

19. CycloneSweep

Outside of Doughty and Muzzin their defense is pretty damn bad. And same with outside of Vancouvers top pairing. Our top pairing is better than Vancouvers and the depth is better too.

20. McGhostbuster

McGhostbuster Who ya gonna call?

Engineer
    If Montreal decides to go into a sell now mode. Would Petry be a good target. 2nd and Conditional 5th? (Or 2nd and Fayne for roster cap)

21. Pointteen

Pointteen Registered User

I would sell low on Caggiula instead to be honest.
    Maroon McDavid Athanasiou
    Lucic Draisaitl Slepyshev

Looks solid. Caggiula preferring LW shifts him to expendable in my book.

McCanovin likes this.
  22. Jimmi McJenkins

Public Servant
    I don't want Petry at that price. Doesn't have enough of a rounded game to be worth it at those dollars.

23. Asiaoil

Asiaoil Vperod Bizona!

Home Page:
    RNH for Petry 1 for 1 and get a 3C at the deadline. Defense would be:

Klef Lars
    Sekera Petry
    Nurse Russell Benning

24. CycloneSweep

Sell low on Cagguila?If anything thats a pretty even value.

25. McCanovin

McCanovin 1% is the new 11.5%

I'm liking that top6. Caggiula is expendable IMO especially if AA is what we are getting back.