Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
Gardiner + something small for Trouba

Rielly - Trouba
Carrick - Zaitsev
Hunwick - Polak
Marincin

Leipsic and maybe as far as Kapanen

again for me the key is Zaitsev. so far so good but I'd really have to be comfortable that he's a quality top 4, at the level if not better than Gardiner to carry that second pair.

for me i'd roll
Rielly - Trouba
Marincin - Zaitsev
Hunwick - Carrick

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
Not sure if your comment was in regards to Trouba talk, or just a general statement.

WPG has Laine, Ehlers and Connor playing left side at the moment, so they likely have the best LW depth in the league going forward. So, obviously JVR would be of very little interest to them.

Ok Trouba for Kadri or JVR.

If that's what you are saying.

Well, I'm most definitely not saying JVR for Trouba, as you can see above.

WPG desperately needs a Top 4 LD, this has been pretty well documented since the Trouba trade demand became public.

So any chance of getting Trouba starts and ends with Rielly or Gardiner.

As much as I like Trouba, I definitely don't give up Rielly, and I don't think I'd give up Gardiner either.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
with the way Brown is playing bet he'd be a piece they'd be interested in too

Gardiner and Brown seems a bit steep though , might want a + with Trouba in that case, maybe a 3rd to recover the one from Lu or Babs

one77

Dec 22, 2013
Leipsic and maybe as far as Kapanen

again for me the key is Zaitsev. so far so good but I'd really have to be comfortable that he's a quality top 4, at the level if not better than Gardiner to carry that second pair.

for me i'd roll
Rielly - Trouba
Marincin - Zaitsev
Hunwick - Carrick
Zaitsev can easily carry the 2nd pairing by himself. We finally found ourselves a gem. He's so calm, composed, poised and smart. He's also a RHD with some size. Perfect Babcock type dman. He will look even better when you have Rielly - Trouba eating up most minutes as the #1 pairing, then you have Zaitsev coming out with hopefully Nielsen on the left side.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Fowler isn't worth JVR. Sorry. Fowler is quite overrated to me. If we were ever giving him to the Ducks, I would be calling for Lindholm and be adding big pluses.

Guys like that don't get moved since the first CBA (2004).

Last edited:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Gardiner and Brown seems a bit steep though , might want a + with Trouba in that case, maybe a 3rd to recover the one from Lu or Babs

I don't think we have to add to Gardiner at all. His contract and current value is pretty high. I don't see why we have to add to him, especially not a piece like Brown.

Gardiner is so underrated it hurts sometimes.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad

No way we trade away Brown.

How long he has come, the qualities he posses, what he embodies.

He is a shining example for management to point at when dealing with just about every player but more so young and undersized guys. Cant lose that.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
Semi-related to Trouba talk.

Wouldn't WPG be way further ahead if they sent a 5 year $6M offer sheet to Lindholm?

Fills their need for top LD, compensation is a 1st, 2nd, 3rd which isn't too tough to swallow for a team with their prospect depth.

Additionally, they could then trade Trouba for best possible return instead of needing a LD in return. His value won't take much more of a hit, as he's already demanded a trade. There is no way his return is less than what they give up for Lindholm. So they come out with the better defenceman, and likely better assets (from trouba trade) moving forward.

I don't see how Ana makes necessary moves in 7 days in order to match, seeing as they've been trying to move Fowler and Stoner all summer. Also, how would Ana pay them back, they are a budget team with a boatload of long term contracts, they will never have the space to offer sheet a Laine even if they wanted to.

Any downside I'm missing?

embracedbias

Jan 11, 2009
Waterloo

Wouldn't WPG be way further ahead if they sent a 5 year $6M offer sheet to Lindholm?

Fills their need for top LD, compensation is a 1st, 2nd, 3rd which isn't too tough to swallow for a team with their prospect depth.

Additionally, they could then trade Trouba for best possible return instead of needing a LD in return. His value won't take much more of a hit, as he's already demanded a trade. There is no way his return is less than what they give up for Lindholm. So they come out with the better defenceman, and likely better assets (from trouba trade) moving forward.

I don't see how Ana makes necessary moves in 7 days in order to match, seeing as they've been trying to move Fowler and Stoner all summer. Also, how would Ana pay them back, they are a budget team with a boatload of long term contracts, they will never have the space to offer sheet a Laine even if they wanted to.

Anaheim could easily trade Fowler for best offer and keep Lindholm

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Ducks would love that.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I don't think we have to add to Gardiner at all. His contract and current value is pretty high. I don't see why we have to add to him, especially not a piece like Brown.

Gardiner is so underrated it hurts sometimes.

It doesn't matter if Gardiner is overrated or underrated.
It only matters what Jets management thinks. I'm not sure what they expect.
All we can do (if interested) is make our best offer. If not, we wait for the next option to come up.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
Anaheim could easily trade Fowler for best offer and keep Lindholm

They need more than just $4M in cap space though.

Also, if Ana makes necessary moves and matches, the trades they make would likely be for pennies on the dollar, so WPG will have weakened a Western conference opponent long-term.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
Ducks would love that.

They've been trying to move out $6M in capspace all summer, it's not a given they can in the 7 days they'd be given to match the offer.

Not too mention, Ana owners give Murray an internal salary cap. Moving out Fowler and Stoner and matching leaves ducks right at the cap.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
It doesn't matter if Gardiner is overrated or underrated.
It only matters what Jets management thinks. I'm not sure what they expect.
All we can do (if interested) is make our best offer. If not, we wait for the next option to come up.

Well, duh. Gardiner is a big piece for us and adding to him if we were to ever trade for Trouba would mean losing on value. That's only my opinion though.

With Zaitsev and Carrick playing so well right now, I think our need for a RHD is becoming less and less apparent. Keeping Gardiner to me makes a lot more sense right now.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
They've been trying to move out $6M in capspace all summer, it's not a given they can in the 7 days they'd be given to match the offer.

Not too mention, Ana owners give Murray an internal salary cap. Moving out Fowler and Stoner and matching leaves ducks right at the cap.

I doubt they'd have any trouble.

Of course the Player would have to sign the offer in the first place. What's in it for him?

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Well, duh. Gardiner is a big piece for us and adding to him if we were to ever trade for Trouba would mean losing on value. That's only my opinion though.

With Zaitsev and Carrick playing so well right now, I think our need for a RHD is becoming less and less apparent. Keeping Gardiner to me makes a lot more sense right now.

And, we might not have to acquire all of the missing pieces this year for our Cup run as our core is still pretty young .....? :nod:

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
I doubt they'd have any trouble.

Of course the Player would have to sign the offer in the first place. What's in it for him?

More $$ than he's being offered in Ana. And location aside (because that's no contest) i would say a much better situation going forward.

WPG could go as high as $7.3M for the same compensation. They could offer $6.5 or $7M for 2 years, and really try to screw over Ducks, while having the space before guys like Laine and Connor are on ELCs.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

The only caveat to that too is the Leafs can pick up Dumba as well, since Minnesota is facing an expansion crunch and may be willing to move him (+) for someone like JVR.

Dumba is also someone who can fit quite nicely on a top pairing.

On a side note, it's Cowen's buyout hearing today. If it goes through, it may not be much longer until the Leafs make a move.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

I wouldn't say need is becoming less and less. I believe in the LHD/RHD in todays NHL. The game is fast. The game is young. I think it's especially important on D.
I agree we can hang on until we will see how Zaitsev does.
As I stated before, I think we need 1 more top tier D to go with Rielly. RH or LHD.

I see Gardiner,Zaitsev,Carrick as tier 2. Solid D to be sure but we that one extra piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad