Trade Rumours and Free Agents: 2016-2017 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Trouba can't be asking for more then Rielly and Risto. He'll get between 5M and 6M over long-term.

Frankly, I agree but he is unhappy with playing the wrong Side and unhappy with what they are offering and maybe just doesn't want to play in Winnipeg and may play for less elsewhere?

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Too fancy.

I really like our team right now, and think our forward core should be pretty set long term.
Every game Matthews Marner Nylander Hyman play this year, the better they should become. Probably can say the same thing about Carrick and Zaitsev.

To me, solving the Leafs problems long term on D could be done relatively painlessly

JVR for Fowler (retain on JVR or add additional pieces to balance trade and save Ducks capspace)

Gardiner + good prospect for Trouba signed to deal between Gardiner and Reilly money and term.

Top 4 like this would make me fully confident going forward.
Reilly Troubadour
Fowler Zaitsev

Imo we can overpay with some many 'extra' forward prospects on either deall as we have a ton of really well performing people. They can't all make the NHL, so let's trade while some usefully guys are still young

You are exchanging Gardiner for Fowler, when Gardiner is better. We have the pieces to acquire Trouba, the issue may be paying him more than Reilly. All this current team needs is a vet top 4 Dman while Neilson,Dermott,Greenway develop. Perhaps even one with only 2 years left on his contract who can be had for cheap.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
How about something like this

Gardiner
Corrado
Leivo
Leipsic

for

Tanev
Cassels
Subban/Pedan

This helps us by giving us a partner for Rielly and helps us add more depth to the Marlies who need some centers.

Helps the Canucks out by making their top 4 better and their defensive depth. They didn't want to lose Corrado and Carrick has beat him out for the last D spot here. They also get 2 good wingers who are NHL ready and Leipsic is a hometown boy.

Canucks might even be able to add something else or a pick but idk what. I just want a legit D partner for Rielly so he doesn't have to play his off side with Marincin. I know most want Trouba and I wouldn't mind him, but Tanev is already signed to a pretty good deal and him and Rielly looked good together at the World Championships.

Keep Sorokin Me Babe

Hit em with the four like
Jun 18, 2016
Meh, I think he's overrated. Has potential for sure, but he gets such crazy love here it's ridiculous.

HockeyViz's Micah Blake McCurdy:

I don't get how some people believe in the notion that trading Gardiner for Trouba fills one hole and opens another.

Other than Zaitsev, we don't have anyone in the system that resembles a top 4 RHD, there's literally only Carrick, Corrado, and Lindgren. On the left side, there's Valiev/Nielsen/Marincin/Dermott/Greenway and so on. Not to mention the fact that LHD are generally much easier to acquire than RHD

We know how big of an advocate Babcock is for having his defenceman play their onside based off his comments and Canada roster selections. Not to mention when you look at our current lineup, no one offers a grit component other than maybe Zaitsev a little. I'm not saying we need to have meatheads on the backend but having 6 nonphysical D playing can be concerning, especially come playoff time

As for paying him more than Rielly, I think it'd be fine as long as we sign him to longer than 6 years. I'm sure we tried to do the same with Rielly but he wanted to be up for a new contract at 28. If Trouba gets signed for 8 years until he's 30, Rielly would understand why it's a higher AAV and that he was offered the same option

Last edited:

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Leafs arent getting Trouba. I dont think any other teams will be getting him either. Jets deffs gonna be asking for Rielly and not backing down from that. They cant be setting this precedence. I dont think chevy cares if Trouba sits out a year, its either he gets an equivalent LHD (Rielly,Lindholm Type) or he justs lets trouba sit until he wants to finally play.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Leafs arent getting Trouba. I dont think any other teams will be getting him either. Jets deffs gonna be asking for Rielly and not backing down from that. They cant be setting this precedence. I dont think chevy cares if Trouba sits out a year, its either he gets an equivalent LHD (Rielly,Lindholm Type) or he justs lets trouba sit until he wants to finally play.

And I think all Leafs fans are fine with us not getting him if that's Chevy's feeling of the situation. It's not hurting us. We can easily go after Dumba if we want and probably get a better price for a similarly skilled defenseman.

But if the price is right, we'll definitely be chasing him. Whether the price is right is the only question.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
And I think all Leafs fans are fine with us not getting him if that's Chevy's feeling of the situation. It's not hurting us. We can easily go after Dumba if we want and probably get a better price for a similarly skilled defenseman.

But if the price is right, we'll definitely be chasing him. Whether the price is right is the only question.

You'd have to think a Duck's D will be available at some point if they keep trending this way.
Massively outshot, can't generate offense.

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
HockeyViz's Micah Blake McCurdy:

I don't get how some people believe in the notion that trading Gardiner for Trouba fills one hole and opens another.

Other than Zaitsev, we don't have anyone in the system that resembles a top 4 RHD, there's literally only Carrick, Corrado, and Lindgren. On the left side, there's Valiev/Nielsen/Marincin/Dermott/Greenway and so on. Not to mention the fact that LHD are generally much easier to acquire than RHD

We know how big of an advocate Babcock is for having his defenceman play their onside based off his comments and Canada roster selections. Not to mention when you look at our current lineup, no one offers a grit component other than maybe Zaitsev a little. I'm not saying we need to have meatheads on the backend but having 6 nonphysical D playing can be concerning, especially come playoff time

As for paying him more than Rielly, I think it'd be fine as long as we sign him to longer than 6 years. I'm sure we tried to do the same with Rielly but he wanted to be up for a new contract at 28. If Trouba gets signed for 8 years until he's 30, Rielly would understand why it's a higher AAV and that he was offered the same option

Agreed.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
You'd have to think a Duck's D will be available at some point if they keep trending this way.
Massively outshot, can't generate offense.

Well if Lindholm is not available, there is no way we can flip a Fowler for a better D-man, or they have no interest in meeting our demands for a Stoner dump, then there are no deals.

BlueForever

Sep 23, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Arizona and Toronto finalists for Trouba!!!!

I know its EKLUND but he has been accurate before. You never know.

I don't see us trading Reilly, Gardiner, Zaitsev, Andersson, Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Brown, Hyman, Kadri or JVR. These guys are our core.

But I do see some of the other kids and draft picks being packaged. I wouldn't count this as just smoke. Something may actually happen.

Dermott
Corrado
Gautheir
2nd Rounder '17

for

Trouba

Macman

May 15, 2004
I don't see Lou being interested in a guy who has walked out on his teammates.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline

I don't see us trading Reilly, Gardiner, Zaitsev, Andersson, Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Brown, Hyman, Kadri or JVR. These guys are our core.

But I do see some of the other kids and draft picks being packaged. I wouldn't count this as just smoke. Something may actually happen.

Dermott
Corrado
Gautheir
2nd Rounder '17

for

Trouba

Really? He's had 1 good game and 1 okay one. I love his hustle and he could make a decent NHLer, but that's ridiculous. He is not part of our core and would easily be moved for Trouba.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I don't see Lou being interested in a guy who has walked out on his teammates.

He didn't walk out on his teammates. He's trying to get what he thinks he's owed essentially.

I find it funny the Jets don't want to give him close to what he wants but then they are asking for the world in return for Trouba. If you think he's worth that much, pay the man. They have only themselves to blame for not making his signing a priority. The Leafs did it right with Kadri and Rielly.

Not sure why the blame can't be put on the Jets rather than Trouba, or at least the blame should be shared.

Either way, it doesn't look like the Leafs have much interest. I don't blame them.

Last edited:

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON

Dermott
Corrado
Gautheir
2nd Rounder '17

for

Trouba

So WPG will trade their "Rielly" for effectively nothing?

As much as I like Dermott and Gauthier, neither is a sure thing of having any impact in the NHL, Corrado is already waiver fodder, and a 2nd Rd pick.

When acquiring possible top pair dmen you can't list a dozen untouchables, that's ridiculous.

Quick reminder, Hall was traded for Larsson this summer. RyJo was traded for Jones last season.

Trouba is in that tier of Dmen.

Macman

May 15, 2004
He didn't walk out on his teammates. He's trying to get what he thinks he's owed essentially.

I find it funny the Jets don't want to give him a whole lot but are asking for the world in return for Trouba. If you think he's worth that much, pay the man. They have only themselves to blame for not making his signing a priority. The Leafs did it right with Kadri and Rielly.

Not sure why the blame can't be put on the Jets rather than Trouba, or at least the blame should be shared.

Either way, it doesn't look like the Leafs have much interest. I don't blame them.

I'm not criticizing Trouba per se. My comment is a reflection of the way Lou probably looks at him. This is a guy after all who obviously didn't want the players introduced individually on Saturday night and a guy who shuns look-at-me showy sweater numbers. I'd find it hard to believe if he looks at Trouba's trade request as anything less than selfish.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'm not criticizing Trouba per se. My comment is a reflection of the way Lou probably looks at him. This is a guy after all who obviously didn't want the players introduced individually on Saturday night and a guy who shuns look-at-me showy sweater numbers. I'd find it hard to believe if he looks at Trouba's trade request as anything less than selfish.

Well Lamoriello would have to do his home work. Perhaps he thinks Trouba is in the right in terms of demands and how he's been treated by his team.

I don't really disagree with you that the Leafs management and coaches are all about the team first though. I just think that sometimes the players get the blame in a contract negotiation (especially with RFA's) when the team could be incredibly stubborn and delusional. It goes both ways.

If Lamoriello could get a good young player that fits a pretty good need at a fair price, I sure hope he doesn't turn down the offer simply because of what's in the media about the situation.

I don't think we will ever meet their trade demands though, so we should forget about Trouba.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I wouldnt trade Rielly, Gardiner, Zaitsev, Matthews, Marner, Nylander, or Anderson. Which basically only leaves JVR as a trading chip.

taurine330

Nov 28, 2015
Stockholm
Well Lamoriello would have to do his home work. Perhaps he thinks Trouba is in the right in terms of demands and how he's been treated by his team.

I don't really disagree with you that the Leafs management and coaches are all about the team first though. I just think that sometimes the players get the blame in a contract negotiation (especially with RFA's) when the team could be incredibly stubborn and delusional. It goes both ways.

If Lamoriello could get a good young player that fits a pretty good need at a fair price, I sure hope he doesn't turn down the offer simply because of what's in the media about the situation.

I don't think we will ever meet their trade demands though, so we should forget about Trouba.
Some people here thought that Lou wouldn't sign Enroth because the rumour that he will sign with the Leafs.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
I wouldnt trade Rielly, Gardiner, Zaitsev, Matthews, Marner, Nylander, or Anderson. Which basically only leaves JVR as a trading chip.

Not sure if your comment was in regards to Trouba talk, or just a general statement.

WPG has Laine, Ehlers and Connor playing left side at the moment, so they likely have the best LW depth in the league going forward. So, obviously JVR would be of very little interest to them.

BlueForever

Sep 23, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Really? He's had 1 good game and 1 okay one. I love his hustle and he could make a decent NHLer, but that's ridiculous. He is not part of our core and would easily be moved for Trouba.

Hyman is a young player one you don't trade when he is a fav of Babs. The kid has promise and is a very useful player on PK and defensively.

BlueForever

Sep 23, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
So WPG will trade their "Rielly" for effectively nothing?

As much as I like Dermott and Gauthier, neither is a sure thing of having any impact in the NHL, Corrado is already waiver fodder, and a 2nd Rd pick.

When acquiring possible top pair dmen you can't list a dozen untouchables, that's ridiculous.

Quick reminder, Hall was traded for Larsson this summer. RyJo was traded for Jones last season.

Trouba is in that tier of Dmen.

Ok Trouba for Kadri or JVR.

If that's what you are saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad